How long should I Prime95???

Ryder401

Aug 18, 2005
How long should I leave Prime95 running for??????

Because I saw this and it put me off running it for too long.

Mesix

Apr 20, 2005
It's a bit more enthusiast oriented. It has a GUI and whatnot. Google it, it's handy if you overclock a lot

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I personally don't like stress testing that much. First run SuperPi 32m to see if no errors come up. I would run Prime for like 5-10, however long you sleep at night.

Really, if it doesn't screw up there, then get to using it. If there's a problem from running at 100% for 12 hours, chances are you won't see it if you game only for 2 hours.

Ryder401:

Rigs you're about to build don't count as rigs. ;P

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Scary article... he is talking about overvolting to burn-in.... Most people I've seen try to lower their voltages

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Although most people overclocking are upping their voltages and burning in...

This really should be a topic of discussion..

DOES burning a CPU in slow it down?

The article states that it does

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Ryder401
Is this not saying that running it too long is bad for the CPU????

i can't figure out how you are getting that from the article as the author is referring to 2 different types of "burn-in". it is just saying that people who overvolt are not doing the cpu any favors. running prime95 for 24-48 hours is not going to hurt anything.

There is another use for the term "burn-in" with regard to chips that is used by system builders and that is as a test for reliability and to reduce customer returns due to component failure. This usually consists of putting the system together, plugging it in and running computational software on the system for a period of 24-48 hours. At the larger OEM companies, this is often done at a higher than typical operating temperature.

papaHesch

Aug 24, 2005
As long as you want. The only thing you should worry about is your energy bill; otherwise your CPU should be able to handle 100% load indefiantly as long as teh heat does not get to high. This is the trick with OCing and saturated heat on your CPU should be in the first 5 minutes of 100% CPU load. Basically run Prime95 torture test all day long as long as your system is stable.

Andrew