How long should an elevator last?

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
In my 3 floor building, we have an OTIS hydraulic unit with maintenance contract. Getting maintenance is difficult and usually results in a bandage rather than a fix. Now they expect us to replace the entire thing at a cost of nearly $30K. Granted the building is 40 years old and to best of my knowledge, the elevator is original unit, but I can't imagine that this is really necessary. I think they are just milking us for all it's worth. Thoughts?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
sounds ok to me. I'm sure elevator safety has improved a lot over the years, and putting a new one in can't be cheap.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BCinSC
In my 3 floor building, we have an OTIS hydraulic unit with maintenance contract. Getting maintenance is difficult and usually results in a bandage rather than a fix. Now they expect us to replace the entire thing at a cost of nearly $30K. Granted the building is 40 years old and to best of my knowledge, the elevator is original unit, but I can't imagine that this is really necessary. I think they are just milking us for all it's worth. Thoughts?

What did they say is wrong with it? I would get multiple estimates on such a purchase.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Replace what? Motor, pulleys, cables? Certainly these things last less than 40 years, but there are thousands of elevators from the 1940's working fine. Most people replace the electro-mechanical controls in favor of modern ones. For a 3-story building it cannot be that expensive.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I stayed at some hotel awhile back with an original 40 year old elevator. I rode the thing ONCE.

After that I walked up/down three flights of stairs to not have to do it again.

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
:) That was funny. Well, I'm the youngest in the building. The rest of the tenants could swan-dive off their back porches into the cemetary behind. OK, so list some other manufacturers, aside from OTIS and Schindler.