How long have you been "PC" gaming?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Built my first computer in 1985; my first game was Rogue, also in 1985. Purchased and wore out three floppies playing in sixteen glorious shades of amber.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
I wrote a PC game on an Apple II in 1982. I was in a math class at school and some of the other kids were playing it (they didn't know who wrote it). I didn't get a PC until later, a Tandy 1000SX with dual floppies (no HDD) and a turbo boost button. Used to love the all floppy D&D games.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I started PC gaming in 1988 or 89. My dad brought home an IBM computer of some sort from work for me to play with. We had Joust and BattleZone at first. My uncle sent me a disc with a ton of games on it - Space Invaders, Grime, Sopwith, Centipede, etc. And eventually I got SimCity as well.

We used that until 1990-1 or so when we bought our own 486.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
1994. Was a member of Cincinnati Multiplayer which was a dialup BBS at the time. It had I believe a max of 15-20 connections so everyone knew each other really well. We played Doom and Warcraft on it, great memories.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Since I installed half-life for my brother.

Previously had played a bit of golf and a game called digger and a text based game on my dad's high-powered Olivetti with it's 20Mb hard drive! 5 1/4" floppies! Must have been early '80s.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Well I played around with games like Roderunner and whatnot, but my first serious delving into PC gaming was with CS and Diablo.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
My gaming "career" started in 1978 when my father gave me a Tandy TRS-80 with massive floppy drive the size of a briefcase that he picked up from radio shack. It had a few games on it, very crude for its time, i learned how to play chess at that point.

Later i got the vic-20, commodore 64 with cassette tape deck, later the 1541 floppy drive. Then the commodore 128 D, i lived in Europe at the time. At this point in 1985 experienced my first real interest in RPG games with Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. It was from then forward I understood what it meant to have an all-nite gaming session till the wee morning hours.

I also got the Amiga 500, then my first real PC, an AST 386SX 25mhz in 1990. It was the turning point for me then, since my interest in building my own rig came 1 yr later 1991, when i built my first ever gaming rig, a 486DX33/66 mhz. The games I played around that time to the death were Ultima VII the black gate and Civilization.

So I am at 35 years gaming so far with no end in sight.. I love it!

Last edited:

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
My parents bought me a C=64 in 1982 with a tape drive. Most of our first games were Infocom games like the Zorks and other text based.

First graphics adventure D&D 'ish game I had was "Telengard". It was written in BASIC, un-compiled and I learned some programming by printing it out (on a dot-matrix printer which took hours and like 137 page of continuous feed paper) and learning how to modify the program. Changed the "grey misty cube" to allow levels up to 200, but left it displaying as 50 so my brother wouldn't know how to get REALLY advanced weapons.. IF you could evade the monsters long enough to get back to an easier level. :p

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
1994-5 I saw Doom at a little booth at the back of CES and built a box to run it. It took forever to DL on that 56k modem, but no other game has given me goosebumps like the first Doom did.

Maybe because it was the first of its genre.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
1994-5 I saw Doom at a little booth at the back of CES and built a box to run it. It took forever to DL on that 56k modem, but no other game has given me goosebumps like the first Doom did.

Maybe because it was the first of its genre.
I had that reaction with Wolfenstein. THIS is what a game is supposed to be! Two decades later I'm still playing shooters with a joystick, although I have added a trackball for aiming.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I think the first game I played was probably on the timex sinclair 1000, so around 1982 or 83 I think. I was around 5 or 6 years old at the time so I didn't really do much with them.

After that it was the obvious C64 which carried me into the Packard Bell days for Windows 3.1 gaming.