How long have you been "PC" gaming?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
First games on PC were in 1980, when I entered highschool, They were tandy's if I remember, Then got a vic 20 then commodore 64, used it until 92.
Remember getting a pong game in the 70's, and a few hand held baseball, football games as well. As soon as the tech was available, I was hooked on it. I remember being fascinated by the simple electronic games that they had in Japan in 1969. The funny thing is that we saw computers in the movies back then but never dreamed there application would be anything enjoyable. I cant remember what the first depiction of computers as a tool for games was; maybe the chess board in StarWars.

ronopp

Dec 2, 2002
started sim(online) racing in 2001....played many other shooter games prior to that mid nineties.........how far they have come!!! started on a Tandy with a 8088 processor..LOL I believe the game was f117

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
ever since I got Myst along with my first home computer in 1995, although I also played the crap out of that MS Encarta trivia game back in the day.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Sears Telegames Home Pong was my first console in 1975-76 for Xmas. Then an Atari 2600. Once the primitive TRS80 came out, I never bought or even wanted another console again. After that, I had many flavors of Commodores, starting with a VIC 20.

I realized early on, there was little sense in keeping the computer hardware and software for very long, since new and faster products kept coming out almost yearly. So my time spent with most machines was only 2 years or so before moving on and upgrading again. Usually by selling the old PC with the software I had bought I was able to recoup my losses on depreciation and buy a new system and start all over again.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
ever since I got Myst along with my first home computer in 1995, although I also played the crap out of that MS Encarta trivia game back in the day.

omg, ms encarta! HAHAHA, i spent a fair amount of time with that as well.

memories...

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I bought my first PC (a 286) in 1991 but I had been gaming on "personal" computers since 1982 and on mainframes since about 1977. I'll take credit for 31 years. The hobby has kept my mind sharp, even as I age. I have enjoyed it immensely and hope to do so for a long time to come.

So how says you? 31 years for me ... how about you?

Got my first PC in 1997. Got my first computer in 1991 (Commodore 64 from a relative who was upgrading) and then got an Amiga 1200 a few years later. So about 22 years out of my 29-year life.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Since this:

scorched-earth_2.jpg

Scorched_earth.png

...The Mother of All Games

MichaelBarg

Oct 30, 2012
I will claim a start of 1987 on the C64. Lots of great games back then. Starting in the early 1990s on DOS through what I consider one of the golden ages of PC gaming - Civilization, Dune 2, Star Control 2 and Doom being the ones from that era that I played most, but dozens of others that were also great.

From about 2005-2011 though I took a long break. (grad)school, new jobs, marriage slowed things down and I pretty much stopped playing for a while. Now back into it though, and very pleased to discover the rich library of cheap games on Steam and Gog to catch up on! So many games, so little time.

Nate_007

May 13, 2013
Started first with console on late 80s and early 90s, atari console and that nintendo red and white system. Then during mid 90s, switched over to PC, load runner, ultima underworld, utlima 7 pagan, duke nukem 3d, doom, heretic etc. Then my dad bought sega genesis, but still played pc.

Until the release of playsation, I haven't been playing pc games that much since then. When I first saw the Crysis trailer, built a rig that could handle it then I went back to PC gaming lol. Now even playing The Last of Us on PS3 hurts my eyes. I just got used to high res/texture/frame gaming.

dac7nco

Jun 7, 2009
I went to a private/Suziki violin school here in Santa Rosa when I was young. They had a 1977 Commodore PET 200 I played Lunar Lander on. CBM Basic, 4K RAM. After I had it doing my math homework (which the teachers allowed as it took more math to program it to do the homework...), My Grandma bought me a Commodore 64, and I played everything on tapes, discs and cartridges. Later on I got a modem, and played anything I pleased, cracked unfortunately.

A few years later I got into Amigas, then x86 and the odd strange (used) Sun or SGI machine... I've gamed on just about everything I've ever owned, but less and less as I got older. My GTX670 can't run some of the newest games at 2560, but I play RTS almost exclusively now, and It's just fine.

Daimon

sad_guy

May 1, 2013
2007. my first game was hitman 2 demo installed by the shopkeeper. i was hooked onto that game. been a hitman fan ever since

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Technically speaking, before I even had my first C64 back in the mid 80s, my first contact with a computer game was actually way before. There was some trade-show going on and we went there and IBM had a booth with "computers". (At that time, there was not even a notion in the air that computers, one day, would be for the average user 'at home').

So...at that booth they had those GIANT computers which were cabinet-sized (as far as I remember) and they were also connected to some insanely large desk-sized printer. On some of the computers they had this "moon lander" game running where you had to enter numbers like thrust/speed etc.. (?) where it then told you whether you successfully landed or crashed :)

So...I played this (we had free tickets for the trade-show) and I went there repeatedly.....but it was more fascinating to sit on the monitor and type some "nonsense" in or type in questions because at that time I thought a computer is some insanely intelligent and sophisticated machine which knows the answer for all kinds of problems :)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
probably like 1998. descent 2, multiplayer over KALI/KAHN. man that was fun. i owned in that game.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
played casually on an IBM PC AT with a monochrome screen, circa 1990.
started playing more seriously when i got Dune II in '95.

Pottuvoi

Apr 16, 2012
First experiences with PC was 286, but started gaming on C64 in early 80s.
Archon, Elite, Pirates! etc.. just incredible time.