How long does Windows 10 April update take to install?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I have postponed it as long as possible but it's gonna update soon. Really hate this cause I don't want this update. Anyway, how long will this update take to install? Longer or less then the last one half a year ago?

And is there a way to disable this big updates and still get security updates (manually)? Using the regular Windows 10 Home.

UsandThem

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
I have postponed it as long as possible but it's gonna update soon. Really hate this cause I don't want this update. Anyway, how long will this update take to install? Longer or less then the last one half a year ago?
Pretty long, depending on your hardware. I have a fast NVMe drive, and it surprised me how long it took. I'd say it was a good 30 minutes, or so.

And is there a way to disable this big updates and still get security updates (manually)? Using the regular Windows 10 Home.
Nope. You have to just take it on the chin. No way to not get the new "feature" updates.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Assuming that you run an Activated version of Win 10 below 1803 release.

After Downloading Win 10 1803 with the MS Media Tool and putting it onto USB3 Flash drive.

Using it on Kaby Lake computer took 30 Min. to do inplace Upgrade with the USB3 Flash Drive.

:cool:

Aug 25, 2001
With an AMD FM1 (dual, or possibly I had already upgraded it to quad, 3.0Ghz or so, maybe 2.4Ghz with a turbo), and a 160GB HDD (500GB WD 7200 RPM, short-stroked at the factory), it took perhaps four hours. I think that it may have only had 4GB of RAM though.

RLGL

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2013
I just did a fresh install from a usb stick.. Took about 10 minutes.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I just did a fresh install from a usb stick.. Took about 10 minutes.
Yeah MeToo on one computer. Then, it took me a whole day to install/load all the stuff that I need.

At the end I compare two computers (both same hardware/software).

One was done with inPlace install, the other Fresh with all the additional Software.add after the install.

Post installation Bench on both was the same.

My last few years experience shows that if one keeps "clean" computers there is No real difference in High End computers i5/i7 and beyond between inPlace and Fresh.

It seems that just like in Politics even computer Enthusiast can not let Go of Old conceptions for Yesterdays. o_O-:p-:D.

:cool: