How long does it take before you get a promotion?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
I was told by my boss 2 weeks ago that she "recommended me for a promotion" (not quite sure what that means). If that goes through, I'll be incredible grateful for the title and salary boost, but it's been 2 weeks and nothing's happened. For those who work in upper management or who know how these things work, any estimates on how long it will be before I'm formally promoted/granted a raise, if at all? Thanks!

bluehorizon

Jun 25, 2004
Well, promotions take a long time to process at McDonalds, so hang in there Pedro, it'll happen.

frankie38

Nov 23, 2004
Every company has procedures for promotion. For instance at a former employer:

1) Supervisor recommends/submits paperwork for promotion
2) Department Head approves/rejects
3) Human Resources approves/rejects/changes salary
4) if HR approves, then HR submits promotion to BOARD of Directors and is approved at quarterly/monthly BOARD meeting.
5) You are now promoted to salary grade with a certain salary.

This is not a secret. Your company/boss should explain this process to you.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
It depends if the promotion was approved, since it was a recommendation.

Depending on the process, it might take weeks before you see the promotion

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: frankie38
Every company has procedures for promotion. For instance at a former employer:

1) Supervisor recommends/submits paperwork for promotion
2) Department Head approves/rejects
3) Human Resources approves/rejects/changes salary
4) if HR approves, then HR submits promotion to BOARD of Directors and is approved at quarterly/monthly BOARD meeting.
5) You are now promoted to salary grade with a certain salary.

This is not a secret. Your company/boss should explain this process to you.

Very useful info, thanks. Any way I can personally check what stage it's at on its way up the food chain? I sure could use an extra 10k/year, sigh.

Firus

Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Tomato

Very useful info, thanks. Any way I can personally check what stage it's at on its way up the food chain? I sure could use an extra 10k/year, sigh.

Ask your superior? Maybe they are testing you, if you can't figure out to ask how the promotion is coming along, they will demote you :eek:

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I suppose you could check by asking around, but it's not going to make you look good. I wouldn't bring it up for about 6 weeks from when your boss told you she recommended you.

If your performance appraisal happens sooner, then by all means bring it up then.

vood0g

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2004
mine was pretty cool. my boss told me she put in a recommendation for me in the middle of october. a week later she comes back and said her manager made my promotion effective as of july. so my mid-november check had retro payments going back to july. pretty awesome. :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Ask your damned boss, how the fvck should we know how the company YOU work at functions internally?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: kranky
I suppose you could check by asking around, but it's not going to make you look good. I wouldn't bring it up for about 6 weeks from when your boss told you she recommended you.

If your performance appraisal happens sooner, then by all means bring it up then.

That's what I figured, thanks kranky. Guess I'll sit tight and see what happens.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: vood0g
mine was pretty cool. my boss told me she put in a recommendation for me in the middle of october. a week later she comes back and said her manager made my promotion effective as of july. so my mid-november check had retro payments going back to july. pretty awesome. :)

Good stuff! :D:beer:

frankie38

Nov 23, 2004
[

I think that it is important to view promotion and raise and two separate events.

Promotion is moving up from your current level. That may mean moving up one or two levels depending on the job that you are being promoted to. Congratulations!

More importantly (since you cant pay your bills with a title) Raises are affected by several things.

1) the Roll Rate (avg raise) set by HR and Roll Rate (avg raise) for promotions. for example the avg raise or roll rate this year is 3%. and avg promotion rate is 1%.

2) total salary budget and # of people being promoted. that is Finance will budget 3% of your departments salary for raises and 1% for promotions. for example if your total dept has 100,000 in salary. then next year your budget for salaries will be $103,000 plus $1000 for promotions for a grand total of $104,000. Your raise will come from that $4000. So, the max raise you can get in this scenario is $4000. That also means that no one else in your department will receive a raise.
More people being promoted means less money for everyone being promoted. Remember this is a pool of money to be shared by everyone in your department.

3) Your current salary and its relative position on salary band, Every level will have a salary range
For example: VP will have a min salary of 60K mid salary of 90k and max salary of 120k.
GOAL is to stay somewhere between min and mid of salary band. once you get past the mid point on a band you are considered highly paid for that level and you may not qualify for a raise.

Will you get 10k, maybe?

Look at your current salary. Determine min salary for the position you are being promoted to.

1) if current salary is lower than min salary being promoted to then salary will be increased to min salary of that position

2) Figure out what the avg raise is, how many people are being promoted .

Lastly, if you dont get 10k with this company figure out how to get 10k from someone else.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: frankie38
[

I think that it is important to view promotion and raise and two separate events.

Promotion is moving up from your current level. That may mean moving up one or two levels depending on the job that you are being promoted to. Congratulations!

More importantly (since you cant pay your bills with a title) Raises are affected by several things.

1) the Roll Rate (avg raise) set by HR and Roll Rate (avg raise) for promotions. for example the avg raise or roll rate this year is 3%. and avg promotion rate is 1%.

2) total salary budget and # of people being promoted. that is Finance will budget 3% of your departments salary for raises and 1% for promotions. for example if your total dept has 100,000 in salary. then next year your budget for salaries will be $103,000 plus $1000 for promotions for a grand total of $104,000. Your raise will come from that $4000. So, the max raise you can get in this scenario is $4000. That also means that no one else in your department will receive a raise.
More people being promoted means less money for everyone being promoted. Remember this is a pool of money to be shared by everyone in your department.

3) Your current salary and its relative position on salary band, Every level will have a salary range
For example: VP will have a min salary of 60K mid salary of 90k and max salary of 120k.
GOAL is to stay somewhere between min and mid of salary band. once you get past the mid point on a band you are considered highly paid for that level and you may not qualify for a raise.

Will you get 10k, maybe?

Look at your current salary. Determine min salary for the position you are being promoted to.

1) if current salary is lower than min salary being promoted to then salary will be increased to min salary of that position

2) Figure out what the avg raise is, how many people are being promoted .

Lastly, if you dont get 10k with this company figure out how to get 10k from someone else.

Thank you for your helpful input and advice, frankie38. The min. salary for the promotion I am being promoted to is $40k, and my current salary is a bit over $30k. People are constantly being promoted in the company, the most recent one in my specific division about a month ago. I'm not sure if I can find out how many people are being promoted and what the avg. raise is in the whole company (1000's of employees), but I'll see what I can do. The thing is, I hope to go back to grad school full-time soon and will be saving any additional income to use towards tuition so I have fewer loans to take out.