How long do Macs "last" in general?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Purchased one of the original rMBP 5+ years ago and it is still running strong for development, web browsing, office, and personal Lightroom/PS usage. Still no feeling that it needs to be replaced (8GB ram, 512GB SSD).

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
They also don't work as well.

That's my current experience, anyway. Yay Linux is keeping my laptop alive, but it's not a spring chicken. It's still gimped, and Windows runs way smoother. I just happen to need Linux tools. Which has me likely migrating to a MBP (Could save a lot of money on a Linux or Linux compatible laptop, but I can't trust it'll work as it should) next year.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
What exactly is a "Linux machine"? I thought that was a joke response. It's just a PC with linux installed.

And I've had installs of linux that I barely touched - left working perfectly fine on a hard drive in one of my PCs- then a month or two later I went to boot it- and it wouldn't. For no reason I can possibly discern. I had a home server running Linux for a few years- and it was OK, until I wanted to do anything with it beyond just file server duties, Like say, hook up a blu-ray burner and use it to archive my files through a RDP connection. It was crap at real world tasks like that. Switched to Windows and have never regretted it, as all the software I need is just better. And yeah yeah I know... maybe if I spent years compiling my own code and learning command line BS I could do the same things- but I'm simply not interested. I'd rather just use good, already available commercial software. Not community crap-wear.

The idea that one of my Macs would ever be the nightmare of dependancies and mixed bag of open-sore applications that I've witnessed with Linux is a joke to me. And I'm very platform agnostic BTW- I don't dislike Linux for the lack of using it. I actually dislike it because I've used it. :D

As for computers lasting physically- Mac laptops have always been the top of the heap for me. I had a Titanium PowerBook that I bought in 2001- it lasted until 2012 when I bought a retina MacBook Pro.

That laptop is still going strong for someone I gave it to, when I got a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. I expect to have this thing for many years, as now Apple no longer makes a MacBook I want.

All I need to do to maintain it is open the bottom about once a year and blow the dust out of it.

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
I have owned 5 macbook pro models and have had issues with all of them after 5 years. The most common issues is battery\power problems.

Lee Harris

Dec 8, 2017
Seriously consider the installed apple SSD. The I/O latency is the barrier currently not the CPU or RAM speed. You will not look back. Fusion if you must due to budget only.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
They also don't work as well.

That's my current experience, anyway. Yay Linux is keeping my laptop alive, but it's not a spring chicken. It's still gimped, and Windows runs way smoother. I just happen to need Linux tools. Which has me likely migrating to a MBP (Could save a lot of money on a Linux or Linux compatible laptop, but I can't trust it'll work as it should) next year.
That’s odd because I used Linux mint for a year now and it works find. I even upgrade it to newer version without any issue. Stability is superb. No bosd and such nonsenses.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
What exactly is a "Linux machine"? I thought that was a joke response. It's just a PC with linux installed.

And I've had installs of linux that I barely touched - left working perfectly fine on a hard drive in one of my PCs- then a month or two later I went to boot it- and it wouldn't. For no reason I can possibly discern. I had a home server running Linux for a few years- and it was OK, until I wanted to do anything with it beyond just file server duties, Like say, hook up a blu-ray burner and use it to archive my files through a RDP connection. It was crap at real world tasks like that. Switched to Windows and have never regretted it, as all the software I need is just better. And yeah yeah I know... maybe if I spent years compiling my own code and learning command line BS I could do the same things- but I'm simply not interested. I'd rather just use good, already available commercial software. Not community crap-wear.

The idea that one of my Macs would ever be the nightmare of dependancies and mixed bag of open-sore applications that I've witnessed with Linux is a joke to me. And I'm very platform agnostic BTW- I don't dislike Linux for the lack of using it. I actually dislike it because I've used it. :D

As for computers lasting physically- Mac laptops have always been the top of the heap for me. I had a Titanium PowerBook that I bought in 2001- it lasted until 2012 when I bought a retina MacBook Pro.

That laptop is still going strong for someone I gave it to, when I got a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. I expect to have this thing for many years, as now Apple no longer makes a MacBook I want.

All I need to do to maintain it is open the bottom about once a year and blow the dust out of it.
You don’t need to use terminal. I personally do not use it very often. You need to choose a well maintain and supported distros like Ubuntu or fedora to ensure a good experience. More obesure ones like cub Linux and whatnots are full of bugs and stability issues. Probably that’s why your machine do not boot.

When I do need to use terminal however, it is a life saver. I can ssh into my school server so easily on my Linux machine for example. Windows users had to install crap loads of software to have the same functionality.

MacOS, being Unix has a terminal as well. Don’t you Mac users ever use it? Windows CMD just sucks. It is a displeasure to use and seems/looks very outdated. I feel very comfortable with Linux terminal however. It is so modern and versatile

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I have to connect to projectors, and my laptop has an old Quadro.

Both of those things are sources of unending BS under Linux.

You don’t need to use terminal. I personally do not use it very often. You need to choose a well maintain and supported distros like Ubuntu or fedora to ensure a good experience. More obesure ones like cub Linux and whatnots are full of bugs and stability issues. Probably that’s why your machine do not boot.
Or, Linux just sucks on some hardware. That's not a lie.

When I do need to use terminal however, it is a life saver. I can ssh into my school server so easily on my Linux machine for example. Windows users had to install crap loads of software to have the same functionality.
Winscp + PuTTY is not craploads.

MacOS, being Unix has a terminal as well. Don’t you Mac users ever use it? Windows CMD just sucks. It is a displeasure to use and seems/looks very outdated. I feel very comfortable with Linux terminal however. It is so modern and versatile
It's a terminal. It's no more outdated looking than xterm. I wouldn't even say it's a displeasure. It's use is the same, just a different "language" to learn.

These are hardly strong points.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008

Who says I wasn't using a "good" distro?

Look, I know Linux is good for a lot of things and a lot of people love it. Great for them, and I salute their choice.

In MY personal experience it was... well, sort of like when you find a stack of rubbish bin movies... for free! And you say to yourself "Hey! These movies are FREE! and not $$$$ like the mainstream releases!" So you flip through 'em... eh...uhh.... umm... well, okay... stuff you never heard of. The covers are kinda-sorta... designed... sort of... No one in them you ever heard of. Lot of stuff that's obviously aping the mainstream titles... but hey! These are free!

And so, movie night with the free rubbish bin movies...

....ehhh....

... and so next movie night... back to mainstream movies!

I'm sure this analogy isn't perfect, but that was kinda of my experience.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
Who says I wasn't using a "good" distro?

Look, I know Linux is good for a lot of things and a lot of people love it. Great for them, and I salute their choice.

In MY personal experience it was... well, sort of like when you find a stack of rubbish bin movies... for free! And you say to yourself "Hey! These movies are FREE! and not $$$$ like the mainstream releases!" So you flip through 'em... eh...uhh.... umm... well, okay... stuff you never heard of. The covers are kinda-sorta... designed... sort of... No one in them you ever heard of. Lot of stuff that's obviously aping the mainstream titles... but hey! These are free!

And so, movie night with the free rubbish bin movies...

....ehhh....

... and so next movie night... back to mainstream movies!

I'm sure this analogy isn't perfect, but that was kinda of my experience.
Well, seems like you don’t like the learning curve and prefers the familiar experiences of more mainstream OS like windows and macOS. To be honest, I feel the same way at first, even for a couple of months. I even had to clean reinstall the distros a few times because some files just got deleted, some software setting were tweaked into a mess and I had no way of fixing/reversing the screw ups.

I suck it up however for the sake of Linux’s potential once I get a hang of it. After some struggle, I am familiar with the OS to the point I would customized the desktop appearances and other features into an outright beauty and knowing how to fix issues should something breaks. My Linux now runs like a well oiled machine, It is absolutely beautiful. So much customizations and tweak you can do on Linux which is just downright impossible on windows or macs :D

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
I have to connect to projectors, and my laptop has an old Quadro.

Both of those things are sources of unending BS under Linux.

Or, Linux just sucks on some hardware. That's not a lie.

Winscp + PuTTY is not craploads.

It's a terminal. It's no more outdated looking than xterm. I wouldn't even say it's a displeasure. It's use is the same, just a different "language" to learn.

These are hardly strong points.

Again, not really sure why some people have so many issues. All the problem i initially had with linux went away after a month of using it. I don't know if it was the kernel update/distro upgrade or something but after a while, I no longer need to google troubleshooting tips or copy and paste arcane terminal commands from the web because everything ran as it should. I tried hooking my laptop to a monitor once using HDMI, it worked right out of the box.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Back to the topic, I guess it would partly depend on whether the designers of the Mac model in question had a damn clue about the basics of wiring. I had to do this repair recently:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Cable+Replacement/10379

I don't normally do Mac repairs because Apple has a rep for being very anti-third-party when it comes to repairs, however the symptoms the customer reported sounded like a clear-cut case of hard drive failure: laptop has been performing a lot slower lately, culminating in it failing to boot.

I got the computer home, opened it up and tried putting a spare hard drive in. It didn't detect it in the Disk Utility. I've heard about Apple blacklisting certain drive models, so I tried another spare drive; still nothing. While researching the topic, I found quite a few people talking about the cable needing replacing.

Take a look at the images from the guide: a data cable forced into two sharp right angles. I wonder how many amateur system builders wouldn't tell you that this is a bad idea, let alone people with qualifications in electronics, engineering, etc. I've been in this business for many years and I've never seen a faulty SATA connector in a laptop before (though I won't say it's impossible obviously), let alone one known for going faulty and therefore being on general sale! There's even variations on this dumbass cable design that were used over a number of years! Let that sink in: They revised the cable, and they still did it wrong.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Again, not really sure why some people have so many issues. All the problem i initially had with linux went away after a month of using it. I don't know if it was the kernel update/distro upgrade or something but after a while, I no longer need to google troubleshooting tips or copy and paste arcane terminal commands from the web because everything ran as it should. I tried hooking my laptop to a monitor once using HDMI, it worked right out of the box.

Repeating yourself doesn't prove jack. It proves anecdotal evidence that OBVIOUSLY doesn't apply to everyone.

Fedora has been the closest to "just working" while providing new tools, but it's still a ways off. I've tried Mint and Kubuntu, they were both dumpster fires on my laptop. LXLE's built-in "easy" updater is a hot mess. NEON is a franken-distro that breaks every other update. Arch's usability is inversely related to how much you value your time.

Now don't get me wrong, Linux has its place, but consumer OS is only that place for a select group of people under ideal hardware circumstances.

And if you truly wanted to avoid the terminal, you'd use OpenSUSE.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
Repeating yourself doesn't prove jack. It proves anecdotal evidence that OBVIOUSLY doesn't apply to everyone.

Fedora has been the closest to "just working" while providing new tools, but it's still a ways off. I've tried Mint and Kubuntu, they were both dumpster fires on my laptop. LXLE's built-in "easy" updater is a hot mess. NEON is a franken-distro that breaks every other update. Arch's usability is inversely related to how much you value your time.

Now don't get me wrong, Linux has its place, but consumer OS is only that place for a select group of people under ideal hardware circumstances.

And if you truly wanted to avoid the terminal, you'd use OpenSUSE.
Neon is a new distros coming out in 2016. If you want good support and stability, why would you use it? LXLE is also quite new compared to either mint or Ubuntu and as obscure as Neon, I did say mainstream distros didn’t I? Dumpster fire is a vague term, you provided no examples and I had no idea what you meant by that.

Ubuntu and mint are consumer OS. They aren’t servers like red hat. Arch is not made for beginner, you should know that. Linux partition scheme also matters. If you want to ensure the most perfect upgrade, you should mount home directory as separate partition, that way you can back up and revert easily should an upgrade corrupt something, and honestly, most upgrades of stable releases shouldn’t have issues unless you been tweaking the distros to such a degree that the system is no longer vanilla enough for the upgrader to perform upgrade on.

Also, have you even used Linux for a day? If you are like the most newbies(Or noobs to the more condescending Linux users) who just uninstall due to the initial learning curve and unfamiliarity then what you said really does no justice to an OS(or rather, myriad of them) many had been using fine for years. Issues you listed can be the equivalent of opening device manager on windows if you just accept and learn the unfamiliarity. Also, no truly serious Linux user should advoid using terminal just as no truly serious computer user should advoid learning how to type on a qwerty keyboard.

Everyone has a favorite OS, that is good and well but if someone says Linux is bad because of consumer unfriendliness, has instability issues, insecure or whatever uninformed reasons are out there on the internet, I will have to adamantly disagree.

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Please don't assume I don't know how to use Linux. Aside from being completely wrong (been running Linux in VM or dual boot for years now), it's the easiest cop-out excuse in the world, and goes completely AGAINST your point at the end where you think it's a consumer friendly OS. You don't get to use both sides of an argument and claim that you're right.

NEON and LXLE are based on Ubuntu LTS. LXLE and NEON are in Distrowatch's top 100. Every distro I mentioned, I personally gave a shot (and that list is not comprehensive), and those were my experiences. Fedora has been the closest, and it's still not good enough. If you're not aware of what a mess hot-plugging monitors and projectors is (ESPECIALLY compared to Windows and macOS) or couldn't infer a boatload of issues from my statement of having an older Quadro (a mobile one, no less), then I'm not the noob.

Last edited:

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Since Macbooks are no longer user upgradeable, it is much harder to buy a base model macbook and expect it to last a long time.

The Macbook has also been capped at 16gb of RAM for over 5 years now! This will change soon, but most macbooks are well below 16gb of RAM.

I own the last user upgradeable macbook. Literally every component other than CPU and GPU is replaceable. This will be my last mac because of this. I expect my Mac to last until the logic board goes. Being able to replace the battery is a really important thing!

Reactions: phillyTIM

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
Please don't assume I don't know how to use Linux. Aside from being completely wrong (been running Linux in VM or dual boot for years now), it's the easiest cop-out excuse in the world, and goes completely AGAINST your point at the end where you think it's a consumer friendly OS. You don't get to use both sides of an argument and claim that you're right.

NEON and LXLE are based on Ubuntu LTS. LXLE and NEON are in Distrowatch's top 100. Every distro I mentioned, I personally gave a shot (and that list is not comprehensive), and those were my experiences. Fedora has been the closest, and it's still not good enough. If you're not aware of what a mess hot-plugging monitors and projectors is (ESPECIALLY compared to Windows and macOS) or couldn't infer a boatload of issues from my statement of having an older Quadro (a mobile one, no less), then I'm not the noob.

Top 100 distros can range from ubuntu which is developed by a commercial corporation with multimillion users to one that is patched together by one person(most likely fan) with just a tiny switch of desktop environment. Their ranking algorithms does not measure actual adoption of the distos.

I am pointing out the new users to state where the misconceived stereotype that linux is user unfriendly come from. It is the initial learning curve and the unfamiliarity that deters users because pretty sure 99.99% had windows or macs as their first OS, unless they are ancients from the DOS age of course.

I am pretty sure the initial learning curve is the same for windows and macOS as on linux with the sole exception that users do not get the choice of wiping out operating system to revert back to the previous/original one do they? if they are using a consumer computer for the first time, they are forced to learn how to use either windows or mac operating system pretty much. Linux has stepped out of the geek territory a long time ago, there is no reason to call distros like ubuntu and mint which are gear for the newbie any less user friendly than that of windows and macs for new comers.

Hardware supports for linux depends from the manufacturer and it follows the same rule of thumb, more mainstream the hardware is, the better supported it is. Like you dont run obscure disrtos, it is a bad idea to run hardwares that were not widely used. Pretty sure nvidia had stopped supporting that old quadro of yours on even windows so you shouldnt expect too much of it on linux.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Since Macbooks are no longer user upgradeable, it is much harder to buy a base model macbook and expect it to last a long time.

The Macbook has also been capped at 16gb of RAM for over 5 years now! This will change soon, but most macbooks are well below 16gb of RAM.

I own the last user upgradeable macbook. Literally every component other than CPU and GPU is replaceable. This will be my last mac because of this. I expect my Mac to last until the logic board goes. Being able to replace the battery is a really important thing!
Im curious which MacBook you own. There's an idea a lot of people have that the last gen of Retina MBP's (like my mid 2015 ) aren't user upgradeable, when they are fairly easily upgradable.

I can replace the SSD and battery, which is really all I care about replacing.

Now granted, replacing the battery is a bit of an adventure, since they are glued down, but for anyone with modest 'under the hood' experience with computers, it's easy enough to remove and replace. Given how long these last (my 2012 I gave away still keeps a good charge, for example) I can't really imagine actually needing to replace the battery more than once in the lifetime of the MacBook.

Also the 16GB of RAM thing- I personally think this is overrated as well. Now, I'm a fan of having all the bells and whistles that can be crammed into a box, but I do find a lot of people just don't really have a need for as much as they think they do. (Not saying you, just the general public really.)

I do a lot of pretty heavy lifting with my MacBook- editing video and creating Logic Pro X projects with tons of plug-ins across nearly 100 tracks, and yet 16GB is plenty to do most of the tasks without the machine breaking a sweat.

And frankly, anything more taxing that this laptop couldn't handle, I question if more RAM would really be the bottleneck more than it's just *overall* the wrong computer for the job. That is, a desktop workstation would probably be the tool, not a laptop just because it has 32 or 64 or whatever amounts of RAM.

But again, that's just an observation I have- I'm sure there are some specialty cases where someone could *REAL WORLD* actually use more than 16GB of RAM in a laptop- just I don't really believe that's near as many people as think that's the case. (IE: peeps that mostly do social media tasks and the occasional photoshop or something crowing on about more RAM when in reality they probably hardly ever come close to maxing out the 16GB. Now, gaming, that may be another story entirely- but really... big time gaming on a Mac? Just get a PC laptop for that already :D

Also, the linux derail is really interesting, but maybe not in this thread.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Im curious which MacBook you own. There's an idea a lot of people have that the last gen of Retina MBP's (like my mid 2015 ) aren't user upgradeable, when they are fairly easily upgradable.

I can replace the SSD and battery, which is really all I care about replacing.

Now granted, replacing the battery is a bit of an adventure, since they are glued down, but for anyone with modest 'under the hood' experience with computers, it's easy enough to remove and replace. Given how long these last (my 2012 I gave away still keeps a good charge, for example) I can't really imagine actually needing to replace the battery more than once in the lifetime of the MacBook.

Also the 16GB of RAM thing- I personally think this is overrated as well. Now, I'm a fan of having all the bells and whistles that can be crammed into a box, but I do find a lot of people just don't really have a need for as much as they think they do. (Not saying you, just the general public really.)

I do a lot of pretty heavy lifting with my MacBook- editing video and creating Logic Pro X projects with tons of plug-ins across nearly 100 tracks, and yet 16GB is plenty to do most of the tasks without the machine breaking a sweat.

And frankly, anything more taxing that this laptop couldn't handle, I question if more RAM would really be the bottleneck more than it's just *overall* the wrong computer for the job. That is, a desktop workstation would probably be the tool, not a laptop just because it has 32 or 64 or whatever amounts of RAM.

But again, that's just an observation I have- I'm sure there are some specialty cases where someone could *REAL WORLD* actually use more than 16GB of RAM in a laptop- just I don't really believe that's near as many people as think that's the case. (IE: peeps that mostly do social media tasks and the occasional photoshop or something crowing on about more RAM when in reality they probably hardly ever come close to maxing out the 16GB. Now, gaming, that may be another story entirely- but really... big time gaming on a Mac? Just get a PC laptop for that already :D

Also, the linux derail is really interesting, but maybe not in this thread.

I do agree that the 16GB RAM cap is generally a non-issue. I own the non Retina 2012 15". It was the last MBP to also support 2 SSDs.

I need more RAM, but I can live with 16. The 2012 series looks to last an amazingly long time. I'm going to reapply thermal paste next year as well.

But so far this Macbook has been quite abused. I've replaced the keyboard twice, upgraded the RAM, replaced battery, added an SSD, and replaced the CD Drive with the original hard drive.

Gaming? Both of our Macs can overclock the heck out of the Nvidia GPU. I made a thread awhile back about this, but the Mac can run really cool even with the OC.

I have a custom bottom lid on my Macbook made for "Desktop mode".

When connected to a monitor, the Mac gets flipped upside down, the bottom lid gets unclipped, and the logic board is directly cooled. This plus overclock allows nearly doubling of frame rate. Even Destiny 2 runs above 30fps at 1080p all while CPU, and GPU are below 70C.

I am a huge advocate for gaming on Macs. Even without the cooling method used above, just disabling Intel Turbo Boost provides a massive temperature decrease.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Top 100 distros can range from ubuntu which is developed by a commercial corporation with multimillion users to one that is patched together by one person(most likely fan) with just a tiny switch of desktop environment. Their ranking algorithms does not measure actual adoption of the distos.

I am pointing out the new users to state where the misconceived stereotype that linux is user unfriendly come from. It is the initial learning curve and the unfamiliarity that deters users because pretty sure 99.99% had windows or macs as their first OS, unless they are ancients from the DOS age of course.

I am pretty sure the initial learning curve is the same for windows and macOS as on linux with the sole exception that users do not get the choice of wiping out operating system to revert back to the previous/original one do they? if they are using a consumer computer for the first time, they are forced to learn how to use either windows or mac operating system pretty much. Linux has stepped out of the geek territory a long time ago, there is no reason to call distros like ubuntu and mint which are gear for the newbie any less user friendly than that of windows and macs for new comers.

Hardware supports for linux depends from the manufacturer and it follows the same rule of thumb, more mainstream the hardware is, the better supported it is. Like you dont run obscure disrtos, it is a bad idea to run hardwares that were not widely used. Pretty sure nvidia had stopped supporting that old quadro of yours on even windows so you shouldnt expect too much of it on linux.
It's pointless to debate as you constantly take all stances (typically contradicting yourself in the process) and ignore previous posts. Like the fact that my Quadro is just fine under Windows. Or that these "unpopular" distros are BASED ON UBUNTU LTS.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
i have 2008 iMac and because of missing software updates cannot use latest development tools and such.
So relevancy is not bad, but worse then on a windows.
Performance-wise it would be good enough still. Too bad. You lose monitor as well once the PC is irrelevant

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My first Mac (a 2nd gen Mac Mini) only got about 5 years until Apple cut off OS update support. That's probably because it was one of the last devices that Apple built with a PowerPC processor in it.

I'd probably bank on a similar support lifetime estimate for new Apple devices. You'll never know when Apple might suddenly release their own processors for their next generation systems (I've heard rumors of an ARM based Macbook for awhile now), which means that Intel based macs would get a similar OS support cutoff treatment.

My advice would be to get more RAM and SSD storage than what you need now if you're getting a laptop, since they can't be upgraded anymore. Otherwise, even 5 years will be a stretch when newer software comes out.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Still using my late-2010 Macbook Air with a Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Still getting the latest OS support (High Sierra) but won't be surprised if that goes away soon. It's still decent for lightweight use which is 90% of what I do with it.