How long can you drive on expired tags?

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
My dad just bought a truck (from where he works) but he discovered as we were leaving the garage, it's got nov tags on the liscense plate...

He said something about them allowing you to drive so many days afterwards on expired tags?

Or can't you?

(I live in Minnesota if that matters any)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I bought a used car a few weeks ago and drove around for a week without ANY tags/license plate, etc. I was told that I could go 10 days after sale until I had to get it registered. WHy is your dad using their license plate? Should they not have taken them? I would have thought so.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I didn't know you could drive on Tabs. Aren't the aluminum cans just a little too delicate? Wont they get fizzy and explode?

Wont your male friends think you're gay?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< Very funny amusedone...

smartass.
>>

You know you love me. And I wouldn't doubt it, now that I know your affection for Tab :p

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001

<< My record for driving with expired tags is one year, nine months before the cops finally got me. >>

:Q

I borrowed a friend's car in college on 12/3/199x and the car had expired Nov tags and wouldn't you know it, a frickin' cop pulled me over for it. To add insult to injury, I only drove the car less than a mile...(a) what's the chance of that happening? and (b) I should have walked, right? But I had to get to an IFC meeting PRONTO (IFC are a bunch of control freaks) so I took his car. Fortunately, the combination of house business and my treasurer status meant the ticket wasn't coming out of my wallet.

yourharddrive

Banned
Jul 16, 2001
0 in MI, i got pulled ova for it once, but i had the sticked in the glovebox, i told cop i didnt have time to put it on

arigato

Sep 19, 2001

<< My record for driving with expired tags is one year, nine months before the cops finally got me. >>

A friend of mine drove around for over three years on an expired county sticker. The weird thing is that he had been pulled over and received a ticket for something else and the cop never noticed.

Oct 9, 1999
about 2 months.. I had teh tag, just didnt put it on.. one fine day when I get out in the morning to go to school there was a $45 ticket. I looked at my car and realised hey I should have stuck that peice of crap.. so I went to the Police station had taht fine reduced to 10 bucks, paid it and then put on my precious sticker.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Went two full years once...finally got pulled over by a city cop (she was actually pretty cute).

Friend of mine was with me at the time and he started laughing "TWO YEARS?!??!?!"

RambleOn

Sep 15, 2001
I forgot to renew my registration, and drove around for 7 months with expired an expired tag on my plate. I would've got hit with a big fine if I'd been pulled over in that time, and the stupid thing was that I went all that time without noticing. Another moronic thing I have done: Here in Massachusetts where my car is registered you have to get an inspection every year as do most states, well I let mine lapse and finally the sticker fell off the windshield after about 2 months lol, I drove around for another 4 months with no sticker at all and never got caught. I guess I don't attract that much attention from the LEO in my old Buick!

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I drive a commercial vehicle for a living and I never noticed that the company did not get new tags for my truck until I got pulled over at a roadside inspection.Tag was expired for 6 months,but the cop let me slide because he heard me screaming at my boss on the Nextel radio,calling him a dunce for forgetting to get it done.

Peace

Lounatik

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well the good thing is that if you drive on your expired tags, the cops won't be able to see them under the tires.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
It depends entirely upon how the cops are acting. When I was looking at cars before I bought my 914, I test drove more than a couple 914's that didn't have any registration and I never had problems. Of course, way back when I was still using a cardboard temp tag on my motorcycle and it fell off. I was pulled over within two miles, but the officer let me go because I had the registration with me on the bike and about 1/8 of the temp tag still bolted to the plate bracket.

ZV

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
<< How long can you drive on expired tags? >>

Until you get stopped by the cops for it. :confused:

RambleOn

Sep 15, 2001
That also reminds me of my buddy, he got the new sticker in the mail, but forgot to put it on his license plate. He got pulled over 2 miles away from home, the cop was cool about it, but he told my buddy he had no choice but to have his Jeep towed, so it was towed home for $75, at least he didn't get a ticket.

Dabappa

Feb 23, 2000
I'm not a lawyer, but I would hate to think about the liability you would have with an unregistered vehicle if it was ever in an accident.

I would guess that the lack of registration would be considered contributory negligence regardless of the circumstances of the accident, for example you would probably found at least partially at fault even if someone else blatantly ran into you. I also doubt insurance would provide any coverage for an unregistered vehicle.

With the size of lawsuits these days, even a small fender bender might be a financial disaster.

You might want to look into temporary plates or haveing someone with a repair plate help you out.

Good Luck,