how long before we see Arkham City type combat in a MMO?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
For a game like AA, that's all fun and easy, but it'd get boring fast in an MMO. Smash buttons, hit dodge/counter button when indicator flashes, smash more buttons, repeat.

Which is still worlds more interactive than some MMOs. Click button once... then watch animation until bad guy dies.

I want better real time combat in MMOs too. There's no reason that a system like the Witcher's can't be in an MMO. That way it'd take skill AND stats into play. The way it stands now is pretty much just a numbers game.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A long, long time. What works single player gets much harder multiplayer. Arkham has one of the most fluid and realistic looking combat systems ever. Try doing that with 5 people whacking on the same single NPC.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
A long, long time. What works single player gets much harder multiplayer. Arkham has one of the most fluid and realistic looking combat systems ever. Try doing that with 5 people whacking on the same single NPC.

This, and also lag. Single player games have always had the edge in visuals because it's just one player. Throw in multiple people playing all over the world... it's a much more difficult task. A lot of MMOs are point and click because it's a lighter load on the network AFAIK.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not disagreeing with you but I'll say that this is a good example of how gamers will never be happy. Online MMO are suppose to be massive multiplayer RPGs, that's why stats and numbers play an important part in combat--it's an RPG.

People complained that Dragon Age 2 was too much of an action game when it comes to combat.

For what it's worth, I thought WoW's combat was really fun. When I used to play the game, I really enjoyed doing Arena PVP.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
something like this:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/01/batman-arkham-city-catwoman-gameplay-video?objectid=55047

hopefully I don't outgrow videogames before the time comes

have you seen the videos for GW2? some of the classes appear to be using just that type of dodge, attack, combo or whatever through various skill builds.

of course, you're still activating individual skills (afaik) with your number sequences, but at the very least it is more than simple button mashing or skill activation--you need to think about your builds and combos. Something that you don't do with brainless skill trees like in WoW.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
would a 128 player FPS be an mmo? that's still twitch-click though.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Conan tried something like that, and it was a disaster (at least at first, maybe it's gotten better).. running after other players swinging away and missing cause of latency, etc.

Good times.... er, wait.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Which is still worlds more interactive than some MMOs. Click button once... then watch animation until bad guy dies.

I want better real time combat in MMOs too. There's no reason that a system like the Witcher's can't be in an MMO. That way it'd take skill AND stats into play. The way it stands now is pretty much just a numbers game.

Look up some Guild Wars 2 videos, perhaps that'll be what you're looking for.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah, GW2 annoys me. I am so proud of myself for not logging in to GW for ~2 years now.

I was quite sure I have no reason to play GW2...but it looks so damn good. :(

Feb 4, 2009
I agree but lag and poor execution make them fail, look at darkfall or Mortal online to see what I mean. I believe a game called Earth Rise has a decent aim to hit system but I'm not too sure

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Conan tried something like that, and it was a disaster (at least at first, maybe it's gotten better).. running after other players swinging away and missing cause of latency, etc.

Good times.... er, wait.

Never PvP'ed in AoC but I did like the the combo combat system.

I did cheat. G11 keyboard, lots of macro keys, macro'ed combos :D Happy days

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
Can't remember the name of the publisher for Vindictus, but it, and pretty much every MMO they publish (they have a bunch), has awesome hack 'n slash action based combat.