How long before graduating should I send out resumes?

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
I'm graduating in Dec. with a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering. How long in advance should I start sending out resumes? Maybe earlier is better, but a manager at Boeing told one of my friends that they don't know what openings they'll have in two weeks, much less 6 months. I'm already stressed about getting a job. Blah!

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
start now, there are a lot of things you're going to pick up along the way. I started 1 quarter before and I was sitting around for 3 months after grad.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Take a year off and backpack through Europe. You may never get another chance. You college folks are in too big a hurry to join the ratrace. I didn't settle down to a 9-5 until I was 27 and don't regret it a bit.

Good luck.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Take a year off and backpack through Europe. You may never get another chance. You college folks are in too big a hurry to join the ratrace. I didn't settle down to a 9-5 until I was 27 and don't regret it a bit.

Good luck.

I think it should be almost mandatory (or at least more encouraged) to take a year off.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Good luck.

So how did you pay for your adventures?

Personally, I need to work, I have debt and bills to pay, and I like to be able to squander money together with my friends. :D

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
A>S>A>P

Or learn to make up a good answer when the employer asks:

"So what have you been doing since school?"

Ahh!

Remember though, the job market is at its worst in 15 years. So don't expect to get a lot of return phone calls.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Regs
A>S>A>P

Ahh!

Remember though, the job market is at its worst in 15 years. So don't expect to get a lot of return phone calls.

It's bad, but it's not like the next great depression. I got hired 3 months out of school, it's not really what I want to do, but it's work. His degree is aerospace eng, right degree for the right time. Defense is hiring like mad right now, and in the past aerospace engineering was a path ignored by most students.

If his program is accredited and he has a 3+ gpa, he'll probably find work.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: OS
A>S>A>P

Ahh!

It's bad, but it's not like the next great depression. I got hired 3 months out of school, it's not really what I want to do, but it's work. His degree is aerospace eng, right degree for the right time. Defense is hiring like mad right now, and in the past aerospace engineering was a path ignored by most students.

I think you'd be surprised. I remember an earlier post of his bemoaning the aerospcace industry (made me think since I'm considering going into aero engineering next year). 9/11 certaintly didn't help. Airlines are filing bankruptcy, they aren't buying new planes. NASA just lost a shuttle, grounding the space fleet. The next generation JSF was just designed in the past few years, so there will not be a need for that next new fighter for many years down the road. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the aero industry is in any better shape than most others out there.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
A>S>A>P

Ahh!

Yes, It's ABET acredited and I have a 3.18 GPA, I'm pretty sure I'll have a 3.2 when I graduate as all the hardest classes are out of the way. All that I really want is an interview, because I think I can really impress them with my people skills. I'm not an enginerd.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Dudd
A>S>A>P

Ahh!

I think you'd be surprised. I remember an earlier post of his bemoaning the aerospcace industry (made me think since I'm considering going into aero engineering next year). 9/11 certaintly didn't help. Airlines are filing bankruptcy, they aren't buying new planes. NASA just lost a shuttle, grounding the space fleet. The next generation JSF was just designed in the past few years, so there will not be a need for that next new fighter for many years down the road. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the aero industry is in any better shape than most others out there.

I agree with you, that's why I'm worried. I did an internship with American Airlines for 7 months. It was okay, and I'd go back if it was the only offer. My lead engineer and systems/structures engineering manager loved me. I did more and better work than 2 of the 8 people in my group. They'd have me back if it were up to them, but unfortunately it's not always up to them

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002

Good luck.

I got married in May and went on a honeymoon in Hawaii. I'll have a bunch of student loans and little cash on hand when I graduate. How do you afford backpacking in Europe?? It would just be irresponsible for me.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I ended up taking a year off after I graduated. It wasn't by choice. Couldn't land a job. It was one of the most depressing times in my life. No money, No job, no nothing.

At least I have a great job now. The year of BS paid off in the end.

Get started interviewing and sending resumes now. I started doing that a year before I graduated.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

Good luck.

that is a great idea and all but some people need money. i have none and im still in college. i graduate next year and couldent afford to do that. fvck i can hardly afford to put gas in my car

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
When I was jobless and didn't need any competiton: send em out in January.

If you want a job by January: NOW!