How long after buying a "service" through a credit card can you still get the money back?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't want to get into it because I'll get banned but suffice to say there is a service we paid for back in August (a credentials checking service for degree) through mastercard and they are totally dicking us around beyond all comprehension. I mean I could go into it but you'd not believe me.

So if I finally decide that enough is enough, at what point will it be too late to call up MBNA and tell them I want my money back? Is there a common time period or does it not matter?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I don't want to get into it because I'll get banned but suffice to say there is a service we paid for back in August (a credentials checking service for degree) through mastercard and they are totally dicking us around beyond all comprehension. I mean I could go into it but you'd not believe me.

So if I finally decide that enough is enough, at what point will it be too late to call up MBNA and tell them I want my money back? Is there a common time period or does it not matter?

Well, you can disupte the charge and MBNA would act as an intermediary, but the utimate decision as to if a credit is issued is up to the merchant.

-PAB

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
No skoorb, you cant get your money back after paying for a prostitute with a credit card :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well, you can disupte the charge and MBNA would act as an intermediary, but the utimate decision as to if a credit is issued is up to the merchant.

-PAB
Well if the merchant doesn't offer the service MBNA can say that I never received it though...

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
What is the MNBA?

I guess that I look at it this way, you paid for a service that wasn't provided, which would seem like a breach of contract to me. I would think you should be able to get your money back although you might need to take them to small claims court to do it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
MBNA is my credit card company.

I am sure that they'll give us the service eventually, but it was originally supposed to take 2 weeks, or 4 tops. It's going on 3 months and will take at least another month. If it gets to the point where we don't want it now because they took so damn long, well hell I never got what I paid for did I?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

-PAB
Well if the merchant doesn't offer the service MBNA can say that I never received it though...

Then I'd ask you why the hell you're not on the phone opening the dispute now. :)

The entire case becomes a preponderance of the evidence thing. If they fail to deliver, and cant prove that they delivered to MBNA, you should be able to get a credit.

-PAB