How large is your music collection?

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
I just finished ripping all my families CD's. Combined with all the mp3s I already had and five years of a subscription with emusic and downloads from amazon and itunes, I now have:

Tracks: 22545
Size: 122GB
Duration: 11weeks, 1 day, 14 hours

Yes, my e-penis is that big. However, I'm sure it is small compared to other people collections on here.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
My Raptor is only 150GB....:( I only have like 100 songs that I actually LIKE a lot. Of your 22,545 tracks how many do you even know or like? >_>

You make a good lurker as well1!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not sure. It's probably close 1,500 albums including record, CD, cassette, and digital.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: mjrpes3
I just finished ripping all my families CD's. Combined with all the mp3s I already had and five years of a subscription with emusic and downloads from amazon and itunes, I now have:

Tracks: 22545
Size: 122GB
Duration: 11weeks, 1 day, 14 hours

Yes, my e-penis is that big. However, I'm sure it is small compared to other people collections on here.

Ahh I have 127GB of music that I've collected over the years.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: F1N3ST
My Raptor is only 150GB....:( I only have like 100 songs that I actually LIKE a lot. Of your 22,545 tracks how many do you even know or like? >_>

Actually, I did start going through and rating music (I use foobar 2k). After about 5,000 tracks, 600 got rating.

5 stars - 5 tracks
4 stars - 67 tracks
3 star - 144 tracks
2 star - 180 tracks
1 star - 238 tracks

I rate music like the restaurant star rating system used by Michelin. 1 star doesn't mean it's bad, it actually means it's good and and I would listen to again. 5 star tracks are exceptional... the kind of music that just transports you to a different world and makes time stop.

I've found that a lot of older music I once listened to (over 10 years old, many of the CD's I ripped), even though I at one time liked it, is stuck in my past, when I was a different person, and is not listenable anymore.. it's almost like I feel claustrophobic when I listen to that stuff. Same thing for old movies, the type that were a zeitgeist for their time but feel stale now.

So, about half the collection is music that I'll probably never listen to, but included just because that's what collectors, hoarders, and people who want a big e-penis do.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I collected vinyl for about 25 years. I had just over 10,000 of them, most of the worn out that I bought from yard sales, second hand stores and buying out friends collections when they went to CD. It got to be such a pain in the ass because I had boxes and boxes and boxes of them that I never even looked at any more. I ended up selling them to another collector at about the same price I paid for them when the download age came about.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
Originally posted by: mjrpes3
Originally posted by: F1N3ST

Actually, I did start going through and rating music (I use foobar 2k). After about 5,000 tracks, 600 got rating.

5 stars - 5 tracks
4 stars - 67 tracks
3 star - 144 tracks
2 star - 180 tracks
1 star - 238 tracks

I rate music like the restaurant star rating system used by Michelin. 1 star doesn't mean it's bad, it actually means it's good and and I would listen to again. 5 star tracks are exceptional... the kind of music that just transports you to a different world and makes time stop.

I've found that a lot of older music I once listened to (over 10 years old, many of the CD's I ripped), even though I at one time liked it, is stuck in my past, when I was a different person, and is not listenable anymore.. it's almost like I feel claustrophobic when I listen to that stuff. Same thing for old movies, the type that were a zeitgeist for their time but feel stale now.

So, about half the collection is music that I'll probably never listen to, but included just because that's what collectors, hoarders, and people who want a big e-penis do.

I'm curious as to what the five star tracks are, and yeah I know what you mean I used to like rap but now it kind of makes my ears cry. I like rock and alternative now and I like songs with some good guitaring :)

Dec 10, 2005
Winamp tells me:

3641 songs
8 days, 18 hours, 18 minutes, 47 seconds
46.38GB (I think about half is in flac, the rest in mp3)