How is your luck with Windows Updates?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Yeah I think you need to have at least SP1 installed for Windows Updates to work, anymore?? Try downloading the SP2 standalone updater and patching the system.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
No service packs listed at all - I am still wondering if I ever had them, and maybe they got wiped out when I renamed catroot2. At one point Windows Update served up SP1, but I got cold feet and cancelled the update because I have no backup. I just have USB 1.0, and no external hard drive, so I wonder if I should get a USB 2 or 3 PCI card and an external drive and get it backed up, then I can be more adventurous. Or should I just trust an online backup? Or choice 3, leave well enough alone. :)

Curious, what hardware are you running Vista on? USB 2 became standard during the Pentium 4 / Athlon XP days. Everything since then has at least USB 2. I'm trying to recall if there were any motherboards with DDR ram that had usb1, are you running a system with PC133 ram?

Standard procedure for me is stopping the Windows Update service and deleting all files in the data and download folders under softwaredistribution, then re-start Windows Update. It'll recreate the deleted files. Often fixes up problems with updates.

But, download the full SP1 install from Microsoft (instead of using Windows Update) and run it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Then download and run SP2.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Last year I worked on a PC that had trouble doing the updates. I even downloaded the SP updates ahead of time and still had trouble installing them. I finally figured out all my problems were due to bad memory. Put in some new memory, upgraded the Vista box to Win 7 and made my customer very happy. It was mind boggling to say the least.

RalphTheCow

Sep 14, 2000
Curious, what hardware are you running Vista on? USB 2 became standard during the Pentium 4 / Athlon XP days. Everything since then has at least USB 2. I'm trying to recall if there were any motherboards with DDR ram that had usb1, are you running a system with PC133 ram?

Standard procedure for me is stopping the Windows Update service and deleting all files in the data and download folders under softwaredistribution, then re-start Windows Update. It'll recreate the deleted files. Often fixes up problems with updates.

But, download the full SP1 install from Microsoft (instead of using Windows Update) and run it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Then download and run SP2.
Hmm - maybe the ports are USB 2.0, although it says 1.1/2.0. I didn't even think it was DDR memory, but I guess it is.

Asus P5GD1, circa 2004.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131503

Thanks, I'll try the SP1 installer, but first maybe I'll break down and buy an external hard drive for backup. I don't even need a biggie.