How is this i5-760 Lynnfield for 3d gaming PC?

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I just ordered this cpu from the Egg for my HTPC 3d gaming build this weekend.
Googled around the web I can't find reviews nor benchmarks.
I intend to overclock the i5 with an Artic Cooling freezer 7 kit.
Any inputs?

Last edited:

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
One thought comes to mind: You might want to look for reviews/benchmarks before you order it.

As it happens the i5-760 is great value for gaming, so you'll be fine.

Gaming is really mainly about the GPU though...

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
One thought comes to mind: You might want to look for reviews/benchmarks before you order it.

As it happens the i5-760 is great value for gaming, so you'll be fine.

Gaming is really mainly about the GPU though...

Agreed but cpu is the 1st or 2nd most critical component when building a new rig.
I also intend to rip BD and some other video encoding besides gaming.

Petey!

May 28, 2010
Good CPU, but as mentioned, GPU is much more important. Also, I don't know how great that CPU cooler is.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Agreed but cpu is the 1st or 2nd most critical component when building a new rig.
I also intend to rip BD and some other video encoding besides gaming.

BZZZZT wrong answer.

The #1 most important component of any build is the PSU.
A quality (note I did not say overpriced, but quality) mobo is #2.
For a gaming PC, the GPU is #3. For anything else, sufficient RAM is #3.

The CPU is down there somewhere I suppose.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
BZZZZT wrong answer.

Hard drive should be on this list somewhere. My laptop's hard drive is so slow that I get really really angry every time I use that thing. It seems to take like 5 minutes to boot, and the drive is still going crazy for the next 10 minutes.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Yea if you don't balance a system for it's intended use then whatever part is lacking becomes the most important part because it's pulling the rest of the system down and spoiling the user experience

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Hard drive should be on this list somewhere. My laptop's hard drive is so slow that I get really really angry every time I use that thing. It seems to take like 5 minutes to boot, and the drive is still going crazy for the next 10 minutes.

Laptops with HDDs are so oldschool! Get a SSD :D.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is not really a good HSF for modern quads. Or really any quad.

You should be looking at:

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (there were some great deals on this, but supplies seem to be running out)
Thermaltake Contac 29 (not well-known, but allegedly competitive with the 212+ for a similar price)
Scythe Mugen 2 (real cheap at Directron, kinda expensive in some other places, as good as if not better than the 212+)
Thermolab BARAM (does not ship with a fan to my knowledge, but is a very good cooler with the right fan/fans)

Anything better than that will take you into the $50+ range.

marcmd34

Aug 19, 2010
I started off with an ASUS CG5275 it came with 8 GDDR3 RAM, a 400 WATT PSU, and an I5 650 Dual Core. I Upgraded to a 550 WATT PSU, I Installed a HIS ATI 5770 GPU. I flashed the bios to the latest 0501 series, and I had one nasty Gaming Rig. The only problem was that it lagged when multitasking and running multiple applications. So I had my eye on the I7 860/870. Then I saw this new I5 760 Quad Core with all the trimmings and with a speed of 2.8ghz and a turbo boost of 3.33ghz. So It’s just as fast s the I7 860 but it’s a $100.00 bucks less. Ok there's no Hyper threading but it has Four Threaded legit cores and hyper threading isn't all it’s cracked up to be. Most people will never need it. Most I7's with hyper threading don't get used because nobody using an app that needs that much speed and power.It's only necessary if you’re doing some serious rendering. I can’t believe how fast the I5 760 is. It handles multiple tasks quickly and it’s the perfect gaming CPU at its price. It brought my Processor Experience Index up from a 6.9 (I5650) to a 7.3 (I5760) and my Experience Index for my Ram went up from a7.1 to a 7.5, The 760 actually raised my memory score too. This is definitely the big bang for your buck. I bet the price goes up on this CPU. Intel doesn’t even know what they put out there for 200.00 bucks. The bottom line is this CPU should be selling for like 259.95 and I dare anyone to find a better 1156 CPU than the I5 760 for less than 205.00. That’s what they’re selling for. If you got to have that I7 sticker on your case then go ahead spend the extra $100.00 on the 860. Buy The I5 760 You won’t regret it. It Keeps On Impressing Me!

marcmd34

Aug 19, 2010
I started off with an ASUS CG5275 it came with 8 GDDR3 RAM, a 400 WATT PSU, and an I5 650 Dual Core. I Upgraded to a 550 WATT PSU, I Installed a HIS ATI 5770 GPU. I flashed the bios to the latest 0501 series, and I had one nasty Gaming Rig. The only problem was that it lagged when multitasking and running multiple applications. So I had my eye on the I7 860/870. Then I saw this new I5 760 Quad Core with all the trimmings and with a speed of 2.8ghz and a turbo boost of 3.33ghz. So It’s just as fast s the I7 860 but it’s a $100.00 bucks less. Ok there's no Hyper threading but it has Four Threaded legit cores and hyper threading isn't all it’s cracked up to be. Most people will never need it. Most I7's with hyper threading don't get used because nobody using an app that needs that much speed and power.It's only necessary if you’re doing some serious rendering. I can’t believe how fast the I5 760 is. It handles multiple tasks quickly and it’s the perfect gaming CPU at its price. It brought my Processor Experience Index up from a 6.9 (I5650) to a 7.3 (I5760) and my Experience Index for my Ram went up from a7.1 to a 7.5, The 760 actually raised my memory score too. This is definitely the big bang for your buck. I bet the price goes up on this CPU. Intel doesn’t even know what they put out there for 200.00 bucks. The bottom line is this CPU should be selling for like 259.95 and I dare anyone to find a better 1156 CPU than the I5 760 for less than 205.00. That’s what they’re selling for. If you got to have that I7 sticker on your case then go ahead spend the extra $100.00 on the 860. Buy The I5 760 You won’t regret it. It Keeps On Impressing Me!

marcmd34

Aug 19, 2010
I'm not an overclocker so thats the reason why I bought the I5760 over I5750. Most people are like you should have just bought the 750, you can make it just as fast. Not me. I've buit computers before but i have never built an overclocker. All the new Tech is already fast as hell and this stuf costs to much money to be cutting years off the life of your expensive hardware. Lets face it this isn't a cheap hobby! Marcmd34

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I got the 760 a couple days ago and am impressed with it as well. Along with a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 board. Am just familiarizing myself with it atm before I do any OC'ing. But looks good, runs cool even with crappy stock cooler (which will be replaced soon).

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
BZZZZT wrong answer.

After building computers since 2001, I must say that the motherboard and RAM speed (not size) are the least important components in any build. From a performance perspective (on air cooling at least) a $120 motherboard will perform almost identically to a $300 motherboard (+/-2%). For example, almost any $100+ 1156 board will max out any Core i7 on air cooling with ease. The reason one may want to buy a more expensive motherboard today is for features.

I overclocked an E6400 @ 3.4ghz, Q6600 @ 3.4ghz and Core i7 860 @ 3.9ghz on $80-$135 boards; so I am not just saying it!

A_Dying_Wren

Apr 30, 2010
BZZZZT wrong answer.

Haven't heard of too many PSUs causing significant problems. The garbage dell et al through into their PCs/laptops seem to work fine for their intended purpose. Even for enthusiasts a high end PSU is largely not needed (but a decent one with enough watts is) as long as one isn't heavily overclocking.

Mobo is similarly not so important when every manufacturer nowadays is churning out quality boards. Now quantity of ram and gpu I can agree with.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
The 3dHTPC rig now have been over a week old and I'm a very happy to report that i5-760 performances overall are very impressive.
The ACF7 fan has kept the cpu at 34c idle and high 50c load.
The Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 mobo is a perfect match for this cpu as well.
The Gigabyte gtx460 too runs so cool (36c idle and 60c load) and quiet under load (can't even tell the dual fans are running).
I do watch lot of 3d contents as well as 3d gaming and this rig has very well responded with whatever is thrown at it.
Overall, I'm a very happy camper, lol.

Last edited: