How is the Halo series as a single player game?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I know I'm a decade or so behind the times but I've never played Halo. At all. Does it have a decent plot for single player? Is the AI decent? Good puzzles to figure out?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I don't think there are any puzzles. But, I didn't have a bad time playing it single player... Co-op is where it's at though... especially on the harder difficulties or when you just want to kill your friend a lot.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It was ok. No puzzles, no thinking, just shooting and some vehicles. I only played 1-3 so can't comment on the later ones. I enjoyed the first and third one, I found the second one to be crap. Though the first one has the worst level I have ever played in a game, it is called the library iirc, god I hated it.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I played Halo 1 on the PC and I'd rate it as "fair". It's okay but there's a lot of repetition when you start backtracking levels. But the visuals hold up impressively well on the PC.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I loved the original Halo back in the day, but even playing through the re-release (Halo Anniversary) it felt a bit aged.

Halo Reach is my favourite of the series.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I will probably be burnt at the stake for daring to mention this on the Master Race forums, but I loved Halo: Combat Evolved and still love it today. That's the original one (and I love the HD remake Anniversary one, superb job on that one). I really liked Halo 2, but not as much as the first (but it was fun for the most part). I never completed Halo 3 (but played it quite a bit), barely played ODST (but saw a good portion of it), played a lot of Halo: Reach (and saw its ending but didn't get there myself, I was just seeing my cousin's game progression one day and he was completing it so I kept watching, the game was pretty good overall I'd say) and I never played Halo 4 so far (but saw lots of footage and video reviews of it, and some spoilers of it too but I don't mind much about that). That's because I owned the original XBOX console, but then I skipped the last generation of consoles (PS3 and 360, although I do own a Wii but I bought it very late and I only own two games for it, but that's another story) so I never really played much of Halo past Halo 2 really (the others were all rents with my cousin and we played them on his 360 occasionally, and he eventually bought the Anniversary one along with Reach, so we played those two specifically quite often but I never completed them myself).

If I did own at least a 360 I would have most likely bought them all (not saying I would have kept them all though, I don't have that much of memorable stuff to say about Halo 3, it seemed rather generic but I never saw all of it). As far as the first is concerned most of it, for me, was (and still is) memorable. The soundtrack is awesome, very atmospheric at times and very fitting for the game overall, and the series too (that's probably the most memorable part, and you don't need to like the series to at least like that music). The enemies, their sounds and voices (nothing beats the original Grunts voices, and the almost iconic non-recognizable/understandable Elites speech). The weapons (and their sounds too) and the famous (or perhaps infamous, but I liked it) weapons carrying limitations or the regenerating shields (both yours and on the enemy Elites too). The superb difficulty balance and the great, memorable Elite difficulty setting (Halo 2's Elite difficulty wasn't as fun in my opinion due to the sniping Jackal units, they could one-shot you, that includes piercing the shield even if it's full and draining all your health, a literal one-shot, and because of that it made Halo 2's Elite difficulty a pain rather than a fun challenge).

The levels, their layouts and their respective settings as well (won't mention too much here due to potential spoilers), especially the third one (night time setting, with memorable battles mostly the section that leads to the fourth level), perhaps excluding the mid and/or later levels with more repeated environments but honestly they never bothered me that much. Also, the driving parts and the great controls and physics despite the game's age are fun (well I thought it was great, that's very subjective I guess). And perhaps one of the most important (and memorable part for me) feature the game offers being its co-operation mode. I can't recall all the laughs and fun times I had playing on co-op Elite difficulty with my cousin, so many places gave us challenges (and frustrations too), but it was awesome. I could go for quite longer about the first game alone. Maybe one day I'll buy some cheap 360 and get used copies of the whole series once more to finally complete the ones I didn't, and have a better judgement of the entire series (actually I should do that sometime). But I can say for sure that, for me, the first game was the best so far (especially the Anniversary one, it's better than the original, but the original still has its charm and plays well but it will seem dated, they should have also remastered Halo 2 the same way) and the sequel was very fun for the most part (but you need to keep going beyond Halo 2 because its ending will leave a bad taste for a while, so better launch Halo 3 soon after, in my opinion).

Additionally, most of the A.I. in the Halo series is some of the best you'll fight against in comparison to a crap load of other story-driven single-player FPS games, with the exceptions of some enemies here and there which have simpler A.I. patterns due to their actual nature and "personality" rather than because the coders didn't bother to work on it (and that's no exaggeration, just play on Elite difficulty and tell me Elite enemies were easy all the time, they take cover, come out of cover for fast hits-and-runs and move to another spot, they let their shields recharge, they throw grenades, they work in groups, they try to attack from other paths when available to attack you from the back or they try to flank you, etc). And the story, the pace and ways at which it unfolds, and the interaction between the protagonist and the A.I. Cortana being what "drives" that story's unfolding, all of that was well crafted (but it's nothing mind-blowing story-wise, it's nothing that complex, I'm simply saying that it is well crafted and told to the player in a smooth way and all levels transition well from one to the next). It flows smoothly and I never felt "lost" in the story at any point, there's of course some lack of details because at the time the trilogy had not been completely written and they pretty much went improvisation-style (I.E. writing as time goes on rather than planning the whole trilogy or beyond the third title from the start) but overall the story and what's actually happening is "understandable" and, for me, it was enjoyable.

To be honest I never understood the "hate" that some people have against the Halo series (and I do refer to actual "haters" per se, not the gamers who actually have valid complaints or disappointments while at the same time can see that there's at least "decent" or even "fun" parts or game-play mechanics here and there). I think that some of that hate might come from the fact that for some reasons the brand symbolized Microsoft's success (and its console) in the video games market (at least at the time anyway) and because people loved (and still do today) to hate Microsoft they also had to hate their video games branch "baby". That or perhaps it had something to do with a frustration of non-XBOX owners at the time that only Microsoft's console had "the best FPS game" of the consoles trio and - again - the gamers refused to buy the XBOX "just for it" and if not, it was "because Microsoft"). And I'm referring to the original game's success here during its respective time. It had critical success (regardless of the haters) and it lead to a legacy, it's a saga at this point and I'm sure we might get a full feature film of it one day. Maybe today if there's any of that hate remaining people will point at actual game-play mechanics rather than just going berserk on it, who knows.

I'd still give a solid 9/10 to the original (Anniversary version especially, but the original too) and a good 7.5/10 to the sequel (very fun for the most part but I had mixed feelings starting from a specific point which I won't mention due to possible spoilers). I played a lot of Reach and saw its ending and most of its important story-related scenes and I think I could say that it might be the best of the series since the original. As far as Halo 3 is concerned, from what I've played I'd say maybe 7/10 or so (maybe I'd like it more if I played it more, or maybe it'd be the opposite). I'd say that Halo ODST was a fresh and interesting point of view (you play as a different character) but I haven't played nor seen enough of it to judge it properly. And, concerning Halo 4... can't say anything yet really other than it seems interesting and I know the dev team is completely different but is a canon sequel to Halo 3 (from what I've read of it).

Yeah ok, also, here "TL;DR" version of this wall of text being "I actually kinda like the Halo series".

Last edited:

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
The first one is pretty good. They now have an updated version on the 360 with better graphics/sound and whatnot. Personally I prefer the original version - the VERY original version. They released a GOTY edition and all editions afterward were like it, they removed some bugs and whatnot but the bugs were fun to play around with. I've still got my first edition Halo 1 Xbox game CD.

But yeah there are no puzzles or anything. It's a pretty linear first person shooter. Halo 2 is where the story gets kind of weird and confusing. Halo 3 has good gameplay, but again I don't even remember the story. I did like Halo 4 as the story was a little more akin to the first...Then there's Halo ODST which I personally didn't like - it felt slowly paced to me. Not sure I ever finished it.

And there is also Halo: Reach, probably my favorite of all besides Halo 1. They came out with a ton of books on the Halo series after Halo 1's release and one of the first was a prequel about Reach. If you read that book, Halo: Reach the game is amazing. The storyline is pretty cool and the game picks up with the book quite well. The ending made me very sad, even though I knew it because I'd read that book. The way it leads up right to Halo 1 is also pretty neat.

There was also Halo Wars, I never played it and heard it was garbage.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I will probably be burnt at the stake for daring to mention this on the Master Race forums, but I loved Halo: Combat Evolved and still love it today. That's the original one (and I love the HD remake Anniversary one, superb job on that one). I really liked Halo 2, but not as much as the first (but it was fun for the most part). I never completed Halo 3 (but played it quite a bit), barely played ODST (but saw a good portion of it), played a lot of Halo: Reach (and saw its ending but didn't get there myself, I was just seeing my cousin's game progression one day and he was completing it so I kept watching, the game was pretty good overall I'd say) and I never played Halo 4 so far (but saw lots of footage and video reviews of it, and some spoilers of it too but I don't mind much about that). That's because I owned the original XBOX console, but then I skipped the last generation of consoles (PS3 and 360, although I do own a Wii but I bought it very late and I only own two games for it, but that's another story) so I never really played much of Halo past Halo 2 really (the others were all rents with my cousin and we played them on his 360 occasionally, and he eventually bought the Anniversary one along with Reach, so we played those two specifically quite often but I never completed them myself).

If I did own at least a 360 I would have most likely bought them all (not saying I would have kept them all though, I don't have that much of memorable stuff to say about Halo 3, it seemed rather generic but I never saw all of it). As far as the first is concerned most of it, for me, was (and still is) memorable. The soundtrack is awesome, very atmospheric at times and very fitting for the game overall, and the series too (that's probably the most memorable part, and you don't need to like the series to at least like that music). The enemies, their sounds and voices (nothing beats the original Grunts voices, and the almost iconic non-recognizable/understandable Elites speech). The weapons (and their sounds too) and the famous (or perhaps infamous, but I liked it) weapons carrying limitations or the regenerating shields (both yours and on the enemy Elites too). The superb difficulty balance and the great, memorable Elite difficulty setting (Halo 2's Elite difficulty wasn't as fun in my opinion due to the sniping Jackal units, they could one-shot you, that includes piercing the shield even if it's full and draining all your health, a literal one-shot, and because of that it made Halo 2's Elite difficulty a pain rather than a fun challenge).

The levels, their layouts and their respective settings as well (won't mention too much here due to potential spoilers), especially the third one (night time setting, with memorable battles mostly the section that leads to the fourth level), perhaps excluding the mid and/or later levels with more repeated environments but honestly they never bothered me that much. Also, the driving parts and the great controls and physics despite the game's age are fun (well I thought it was great, that's very subjective I guess). And perhaps one of the most important (and memorable part for me) feature the game offers being its co-operation mode. I can't recall all the laughs and fun times I had playing on co-op Elite difficulty with my cousin, so many places gave us challenges (and frustrations too), but it was awesome. I could go for quite longer about the first game alone. Maybe one day I'll buy some cheap 360 and get used copies of the whole series once more to finally complete the ones I didn't, and have a better judgement of the entire series (actually I should do that sometime). But I can say for sure that, for me, the first game was the best so far (especially the Anniversary one, it's better than the original, but the original still has its charm and plays well but it will seem dated, they should have also remastered Halo 2 the same way) and the sequel was very fun for the most part (but you need to keep going beyond Halo 2 because its ending will leave a bad taste for a while, so better launch Halo 3 soon after, in my opinion).

Additionally, most of the A.I. in the Halo series is some of the best you'll fight against in comparison to a crap load of other story-driven single-player FPS games, with the exceptions of some enemies here and there which have simpler A.I. patterns due to their actual nature and "personality" rather than because the coders didn't bother to work on it (and that's no exaggeration, just play on Elite difficulty and tell me Elite enemies were easy all the time, they take cover, come out of cover for fast hits-and-runs and move to another spot, they let their shields recharge, they throw grenades, they work in groups, they try to attack from other paths when available to attack you from the back or they try to flank you, etc). And the story, the pace and ways at which it unfolds, and the interaction between the protagonist and the A.I. Cortana being what "drives" that story's unfolding, all of that was well crafted (but it's nothing mind-blowing story-wise, it's nothing that complex, I'm simply saying that it is well crafted and told to the player in a smooth way and all levels transition well from one to the next). It flows smoothly and I never felt "lost" in the story at any point, there's of course some lack of details because at the time the trilogy had not been completely written and they pretty much went improvisation-style (I.E. writing as time goes on rather than planning the whole trilogy or beyond the third title from the start) but overall the story and what's actually happening is "understandable" and, for me, it was enjoyable.

To be honest I never understood the "hate" that some people have against the Halo series (and I do refer to actual "haters" per se, not the gamers who actually have valid complaints or disappointments while at the same time can see that there's at least "decent" or even "fun" parts or game-play mechanics here and there). I think that some of that hate might come from the fact that for some reasons the brand symbolized Microsoft's success (and its console) in the video games market (at least at the time anyway) and because people loved (and still do today) to hate Microsoft they also had to hate their video games branch "baby". That or perhaps it had something to do with a frustration of non-XBOX owners at the time that only Microsoft's console had "the best FPS game" of the consoles trio and - again - the gamers refused to buy the XBOX "just for it" and if not, it was "because Microsoft"). And I'm referring to the original game's success here during its respective time. It had critical success (regardless of the haters) and it lead to a legacy, it's a saga at this point and I'm sure we might get a full feature film of it one day. Maybe today if there's any of that hate remaining people will point at actual game-play mechanics rather than just going berserk on it, who knows.

I'd still give a solid 9/10 to the original (Anniversary version especially, but the original too) and a good 7.5/10 to the sequel (very fun for the most part but I had mixed feelings starting from a specific point which I won't mention due to possible spoilers). I played a lot of Reach and saw its ending and most of its important story-related scenes and I think I could say that it might be the best of the series since the original. As far as Halo 3 is concerned, from what I've played I'd say maybe 7/10 or so (maybe I'd like it more if I played it more, or maybe it'd be the opposite). I'd say that Halo ODST was a fresh and interesting point of view (you play as a different character) but I haven't played nor seen enough of it to judge it properly. And, concerning Halo 4... can't say anything yet really other than it seems interesting and I know the dev team is completely different but is a canon sequel to Halo 3 (from what I've read of it).

Yeah ok, also, here "TL;DR" version of this wall of text being "I actually kinda like the Halo series".

Good god bro.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I greatly enjoyed the first halo. I recall the enemy AI being quite good for the time. The enemy tactics were pretty much limited to flanking maneuvers, but they did them competently, and they were very good about diving for cover when you threw grenades. Increasing the difficulty also had noticeable effects on the enemy aggressiveness, rather than just increasing their health and weapon damage. Elites and grunts would begin to fire more rapidly, throw grenades more often, and advance on your position earlier at higher difficulty levels. Halo was one of the first games I played with a button dedicated to grenades, rather than just having grenades be one of the selectable weapons. It's astonishing how big of a difference that makes in your ability to use grenades. It was possible to drive an enemy to cover through gunfire and immediately flush them out again by throwing a grenade behind their cover without the pause of scrolling through your weapon list and select them. The stealth kill aspect was very good as well. Melee attacks in general were always an option in Halo due to being extremely powerful. That's something I don't see many other games do. I know that most FPS games will offer a melee, but it rarely is something that you'll consider after gaining your first weapon. In halo it was common to close on an enemy while firing and melee as soon as they were in range for the kill shot.

Ultimately I think what Halo did right was not to give you a huge array of options to kill the enemy with, but to make everything they DID give you effective and a legitimate option in most situations. After all, what's the use of a melee attack if there's never a situation where it works? What's the use of grenades if it takes you 2 seconds to select and use them and it takes half a second for the enemy to be somewhere else? What's the use of carrying 10 weapons at all times when you only use one or two for 99% of battles? In halo they give you a certain set of tools and you use every one of them, and every one feels satisfying. The fact that they are all so accessible means that you'll be using them in all kinds of random combinations as well, which results in a surprising amount of variation. I've seen games that offered many times the combat options as halo, but ended up being far less varied due to the fact that so many of them just sat unused. That's one thing you can't say about Halo.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah I liked how you could only carry two weapons, and most of the weapons are pretty solid. Melee is used a surprising amount, and I like how its just a regular punch or butt of the weapon instead of that knife-slash-from-nowhere that COD uses.

The marines are one of my favorite things about Halo. The AI for them in Halo 1 & 2 was pretty darn good, especially for its time. I spent a lot of time just trying to make sure every marine survived and brought them with me everywhere I could. Them being able to ride as your passenger and man your gun, and actually being able to die made you care more about them. You could watch their health and try to keep them out of harms way where possible. They made certain areas feel much more like a real battle.

And I also just really like the whole Spartan super soldier thing, especially being the only one left.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I quite enjoyed Halo 1. It was fun. But holy hell they blatantly recycle same levels over and over and over again.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Liked Halo 1. Heard Halo 2 was awful. Don't have an X Box, so haven't played any others in the series, due to the fact Microsoft did not release the others for PC in a timely manor. Too bad, but then there are plenty of other really good PC games out there, so I lost interest in Halo.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Liked Halo 1. Heard Halo 2 was awful. Don't have an X Box, so haven't played any others in the series, due to the fact Microsoft did not release the others for PC in a timely manor. Too bad, but then there are plenty of other really good PC games out there, so I lost interest in Halo.

I do wish they'd release the rest on PC. Halo 1 on PC was fun, it actually had online multiplayer which was tons of fun. I think they did finally release Halo 2 but it was a loooooong time after its Xbox release. They said they'd release 3 on PC but it just never happened

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I absolutely loved the original Halo on PC. I played it for hours and hours, both SP and MP. I still have my original disk as was considering installing it just the other day.

KT

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
You guys that played Halo 1 on PC must have had great machines at the time. I had a pretty decent one and all I remember was that it performed like crap.

It was better on Xbox (I think I still have the disc lying around somewhere), but I couldn't get into using a gamepad instead of kb/mouse.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Halo was excellent for a Console FPS, it was and still sets the bar as newer ones come out. But on the PC it was very average. it was one of the first to do the 2 weapon limit.. while some like this, I far prefer rationing my good and bad weapons.. Yes there is some "real" to carrying only two weapons.. but if I want real I wouldn't be playing a SCI_FI shooter on a giant RING world. it was also one of the first to use "easy mode" with health. The hide and regen system, which effectively makes any level easy, just hide till you have health again.. Again, some think health packs laying all over are silly (it is) but putting exact amount of health a level makes it so you can tailor levels to SKILL not hide and seak.

As for actual game play, its avg to good, as there are alot of crap FPS out there for the PC and the console. Most of the game uses a pretty good story line and such, but the first time you get the 3 stooges enemies it ruins all immersion there was. To this day i dont understand the cartoon enemies when the rest of the game is pretty well done enemy wise.. like Jar Jar ins Star Wars.. so out of place it hurts.

As so many said it recycles to much, especially the inside stuff, its like they had 10 rooms that they put together in 10,000 ways. But that is Halo in a nutshell, recycled ideas.. RingWorld is a set of books about a giant steel Ring world, AI voice that assist you.. well that's been around forever.. some places, excellent fiction- Elric (his sword), to comics (rogue trooper - all soldiers are on chips.. if they die you can add them to weapons, Armour etc and they can assist or annoy you).. age old idea..

One thing if you play on the PC and the console its amazing how easy the console version is with auto aim and such compared to the PC.. and the PC ont eh hardest setting isn't really hard for a PC player, don't get me wrong it is a challenge.. right up till you understand the hide and heal method can get you through almost anything.

Good FPS on consoles.. avg on PC. I enjoyed it enough to buy um all on 360 (but the last one). Personally i like the ODST one the most.. (i think its the least liked of teh HALO games but most) as its more a think before you run in one... But I think there are much better on the PC if you are just going PC.

just an opinion.. was never a fan of HALO.. but I did grow up on the early MMOnline titles that started PvP group combat.. BF42 and the like.. BF42 might be the best ever.. good balance.. at least till it got huge and they started tweeking the crap out of it (sorry if I can hit a plane with a tank shell, have that skill, the plane should go down.. no 3 shots from tank to take a plane down (yes hitting a plane is silly with a tank, but if its in the game).

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'd give it a 5-6/10 as single player. Decent shooter, but gets quite dull after a while, and the plot doesn't exactly keep you going. Halfway through any given level, I often found myself forgetting what my original objective was until the plot resumed at the level's end.

So if you like mindless, twitch-action shooting and little else, with some good cut-scenes thrown in every 45 minutes or so, yeah it could be worth it.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
i loved halo the first one: combat evolved and still play the online multilayer almost for a hour everyday. I have a state of the art Asus Republic of gamers laptop with sweet graphics, but i cannot seem to get hooked onto any other game like i am to halo multilayer.

have fun the game has an incredible storyline, its much like the classic half life, in that no matter when you play it, you will always enjoy it.

The very fact that its multiplayer for the original first game is still so strong as to have over 1500 players even after it being over 10 years old, i think that proves how great this game truly is.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I know it has it's fanbase, but to me Halo has always been kind of a bland and boring shooter, even when it first came out. It has a pretty interesting story line, and lore. The weapons can be kind of interesting too, but the level design just doesn't do anything for me.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Maybe it's just nostalgia talking but I loved the single player of the first game and played it all the time. There were some bad levels (The Library) but it was mostly good.

I also enjoyed Halo 2's single player, as well as ODST and Reach. Wasn't a big fan of 3 or 4.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Most overrated game in history (tie between Halo and Final Fantasy 7). All the console kiddies never saw a FPS before and wet themselves over it on a console for the first time. And thus began the simple idiot proof dumbed down for console controller linear path with giant arrow telling you what to do regenerating health one button does everything knee high cover vs enemy waves shooter disease that currently STILL plagues almost all modern big budget mainstream popular games to this day.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Most overrated game in history (tie between Halo and Final Fantasy 7). All the console kiddies never saw a FPS before and wet themselves over it on a console for the first time. And thus began the simple idiot proof dumbed down for console controller linear path with giant arrow telling you what to do regenerating health one button does everything knee high cover vs enemy waves shooter disease that currently STILL plagues almost all modern big budget mainstream popular games to this day.

lol exdeath strikes again.

I think Halo: CE had a very good story and a pretty good setting. It wasn't awful from a control standpoint (like every other console FPS before it) and it could be difficult at times. It wasn't Half Life, but it didn't try to be. It also didn't make every puzzle a "hey look at our physics engine; you can build a see-saw" bragfest either.

If you can get it, it is worth a playthrough. On Legendary difficulty, it is quite hard.

Halo 2 was not as good, sadly. They tried to do much story wise I believe. The non Spartan stuff is meh. 3 was okay, but not on PC. Reach had the best story (being a prequel of sorts).

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I think Halo: CE had a very good story and a pretty good setting. It wasn't awful from a control standpoint (like every other console FPS before it) and it could be difficult at times. It wasn't Half Life, but it didn't try to be. It also didn't make every puzzle a "hey look at our physics engine; you can build a see-saw" bragfest either.

If you can get it, it is worth a playthrough. On Legendary difficulty, it is quite hard.

Halo 2 was not as good, sadly. They tried to do much story wise I believe. The non Spartan stuff is meh. 3 was okay, but not on PC. Reach had the best story (being a prequel of sorts).

Agree with all of this. I loved the first Halo game - it was a nice challenge Legendary. The "Library" level was kind of tedious though :)

I've played the others as well, and they are all at least decent and entertaining.