how is Black and White 2?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Apoppin made a post about it a while ago, i think it was generally positive, cant remember. Give him a PM if you want.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I bought it shortly after its release, and then Battle of the Gods after its release. They aren't bad games, but they have next to now replay value. Its also a definite system hog.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i loved B&W2 ... i never played B&W so i can't compare

i understand the ooB unpatched game is so buggy as to be nearly unplayable ... patched it is very smooth and bug-free...There is a LOT of replay value as you start over with far more ability to be aggressor instead of defender

otoh, BotG is a GREAT x-pack ... but buggy as hell ... they never patched it

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
thanks guys.

i liked b and w but i could never get really far...it would always crash, so i gave up. i figured b and w 2 should be as good or better.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I personally think B&W 2 is much better than the original, especially as far as city construction goes. It is very hard to win the game without being evil though, at least towards the end, when the opponents city is extremely impressive.

The creature behavior is easier to control in the second, too.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Never played the original B&W but I played B&W2 and thought it was really good (as was the expansion pack, Battle of the Gods).

B&W2 was buggy, but they patched it up.
Not sure if they patched the expansion pack though.

You should check out B&W2, great game.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
So i just got it, and it seems fun, but kind of slow.

i'm kind of confused, any tips overall?

like when i buy things with tribute, how come i cant build them? like if i buy a torture spike, or well...where the hell are those going?

whats the creature good for? doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

thanks!

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Heen05

whats the creature good for? doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

thanks!

Upgrade some of his abilities and train him up. Your creature can harvest materials much quicker than any villager. He's also a 1 man army, capable of obliterating multiple enemy platoons with ease. Give him lightning and watch him fry your enemies. :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
read the manual [over at least twice] and check a walkthru ... it really isn't cheating till you get the hang of it

it is very "RTS" as well as 'godgame'

very very slow going - at first ... concentrate on food, walls and training your creature ... you get attacked soon enough

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
i tried skipping a segment and i think i mightve skipped a lot lol. but i dont know, i just got done with finishing the first part on the island.

seems like thats like a tutorial.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
B&W2 is a game that you really need to play the tutorial to know how to play. There's only so much you can 'pick up' by jumping right into it.

This thread makes me want to load up B&W2 again and see how it runs on my upgraded system. It did have an issue with my MX1000 mouse though, I would be unable to change the view tilt with it, if I recall correctly, I couldn't move the camera up or down. Eventually, I would either be looking straight down or level with the horizon. I had to plug in my backup mouse to change it. Not sure if that was Lionhead or Logitech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
B&W2 worked well with my logitech mouse ... it is a very nice looking game with a great engine

if you played it unpatched, the patch makes it very smooth

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
with my 6800GT it seems like im getting mixed performance...i want to run fraps. if i run it at 1600x1200 the text is WAY too small. i hate the movement system in this game lol.

awesome concept though

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
They are fun for awhile.. then it just gets really old and zero replay.

i got a LOT of replay value ...each time you complete it, you carry your stats over and it changes the strategy 100% ... instead of being forced to defend for the first half your can 'Earthquake' or 'Volcano' your enemy right away

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin

i got a LOT of replay value ...each time you complete it, you carry your stats over and it changes the strategy 100% ... instead of being forced to defend for the first half your can 'Earthquake' or 'Volcano' your enemy right away

I only played through the game once, but are you saying that each time you play completely through the game and beat it, you carry over those stats to your next game?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: apoppin

I only played through the game once, but are you saying that each time you play completely through the game and beat it, you carry over those stats to your next game?

well, you get some huge tribute and some greatly improved stats that allow you to become "aggressive" early on instead of defensive

it was MUCH better in the BotG ... each time you replayed you got so much stronger ... unfortunately then never patched it and i gave up oin the 3rd replay ... it was that frustrating [in contrast to the very patched and very polished B&W2 ... ooB it was like NWN2]

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
my creature is a beast now...i made him lift a lot lol. saving up all my tribute for a good wonder (volcano if possible). kinda sucks because i feel like im missing out on neat building and other stuff.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
is there anywhere i can buy this game for cheap?

my copy had an installation error that i ignored when i installed it, and now it bit me in the ass.

i freakin love this game and want to keep playing though.

i'd buy it from amazon but im scared itll be messed up again and i cant return it.

i checked a few places but they dont have it.

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
i dont see why you should be scared to order from amazon..they are like every other retailer.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
well itd be a couple bucks more expensive, but more importantly (i dont really care about a few bucks) if its messed up again id rather not go thru the trouble of returning it (sipping, etc; i dont even know what their policy is).