How in the world is Romney going to defeat Santorum?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
the problem for Romney is that Santorum can only really be attacked from the left. He's best known for his religious extremism, the "man on dog" bit, and other social right stances.

But in the Republican primary there really is no attacking anyone from the left. It is all someone trying to figure out some way to signal that they're further to the right than the next guy.

In retrospect, Gingrich was easy to take down. He had a myriad of negative baggage. But Santorum not so much. He has a good marriage. Doesn't really have any character issues. Is a good debater who is actually one of the most logical in the field.

So how in the world is Romney going to beat Santorum? The only way is to find moderates in the GOP primary, which is silly in many ways.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Honestly I've been surprised by the lack of success of the religious extremists. I guess the importance of religiosity in the Republican party has been overstated.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I would pay huge sums just to hear Romney say during a stump speech "If you want to know what Santorum is about, google him".

This. Unless Romney succeeds in wooing moderates back into the GOP, this is his only option.

Conclusion: Either way, Obama wins in November, and the GOP tacks further to the right. :cool:

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Yeah, Santorum is in the lead.

The only thing I can think of is Romney...labeling Santorum a pork-barrel republican? He'd probably dig up some obscure earmark that Santorum had in his time in the senate.

I'm not sure if Romney really can tear down Santorum so effectively. Romney might just have to figure out how to raise his own positives.

Jan 25, 2011

The only thing I can think of is Romney...labeling Santorum a pork-barrel republican? He'd probably dig up some obscure earmark that Santorum had in his time in the senate.

I'm not sure if Romney really can tear down Santorum so effectively. Romney might just have to figure out how to raise his own positives.

Santorum has some extreme and, frankly, creepy things in his past. I don't know that he will hold up long under scrutiny as a front runner.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Santorum has some extreme and, frankly, creepy things in his past. I don't know that he will hold up long under scrutiny as a front runner.

those things only creep out moderates/liberals.

and Republicans care more about Romney's Mormonism than they do about Santorum going out on a limb about fetal life.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
GOP needs to nominate Santorum, have him lose so they can tell the tea party crowd, see, we tried it your way and got our ass handed to us, we need to moderate and appeal to the independents.
If they sell out and nominate Romney and still lose, then it will be tea partiers who'll be saying, see, we sold out and still lost, we need to nominate a right winger in 2016, who'll probably lose and keep Democrat in the white house till 2020.

Oct 30, 2004
Santorum can be defeated and prevented by wearing a condom before engaging in anal sex.

Defeat Santorum: Wear a condom before engaging in anal sex!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
GOP needs to nominate Santorum, have him lose so they can tell the tea party crowd, see, we tried it your way and got our ass handed to us, we need to moderate and appeal to the independents.
If they sell out and nominate Romney and still lose, then it will be tea partiers who'll be saying, see, we sold out and still lost, we need to nominate a right winger in 2016, who'll probably lose and keep Democrat in the white house till 2020.

This. The Tea Party needs to fail publicly, blatantly, and quickly. Once the GOP passes that kidney stone we can see some decent candidates.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Currently taking all bets from people who believe Santorum will win the Republican nominations.

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
Currently taking all bets from people who believe Santorum will win the Republican nominations.

3:1 Romney gets the nod, I'll put 20$ down for that.

As for the op: Santorum is the lefts wet dream; he's nutty religious, has little appeal to moderate independent rights, is Mormon, has a track recore of saying stupid things.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Santorum can be defeated and prevented by wearing a condom before engaging in anal sex.
Defeat Santorum: Wear a condom before engaging in anal sex!
How would condom use prevent the generation of a frothy mixture of personal lubricant and fecal matter?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
3:1 Romney gets the nod, I'll put 20$ down for that.
As for the op: Santorum is the lefts wet dream; he's nutty religious, has little appeal to moderate independent rights, is Mormon, has a track recore of saying stupid things.
IIRC, Senator Santorum is Catholic.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
There are no "obscure" Santorum earmarks; as a Senator he was a proud and efficient earmark machine.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Silly me. Isn't semen one of the main ingredients in Santorum? (Foregive me, I'm completely inexperienced in this area.)
Not per the definition at spreadingsantorum.

Also, FWIW, the source of fecal matter is not gender-specific, so there may be more santorum spreaders than you realize.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Medicare Part D? I associate Santorum with the worst fiscal excesses of GWB's "compassionate conservatism."

Romney's also got the delegate-rich western and northeast states to rely on (eg: the entirety of New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and West Coast + Mormon states)

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Once the nutter states are done with the primaries Romney will start extending his lead. No matter though, unless the economy tanks, Obama's going to roll whatever the R's can come up with.