How important is wearing a suit jacket for an interview?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
I have an interview next Tuesday, and I'm thinking about not wearing a suit jacket. My suit pants don't look that great on me (comfortable, but a little too baggy for my liking). I have another pair of nice wool dress slacks that look much better imho. Unfortunately, my suit jacket does not go with the slacks.

Any advice?

If it changes anything, I've already been offered and accepted a position at another "company" which I will start on the 30th of July, so I don't technically need this job; I'm just looking for better offers.

Thanks.

I'm an engineer. When I was graduating I did the suit jacket. It made me hot, uncomfortable and just gave me something else to think about or fidget with. Not to mention I was so overdressed compared to the people I was talking with it felt like I was practically in a costume.

Second time I did a round of interviews I dropped the jacket and it made a world of difference. I was more comfortable, less fidgety and didn't feel supremely overdressed.

I would bet the day after if you asked the 5-7 people you talked with whether or not you had a suit jacket more than half wouldn't remember.

That being said if it is a more business oriented role, do the jacket. For an engineer it doesn't hurt to do the jacket but I highly doubt the difference between offer or no offer would ever be the presence of a suit jacket and if it was do you really want to work for/with people like that?

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
If I were in a job interview at Walmart I would wear a suit. It shows that the job is important to you and that impression alone makes people want to hire you.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Shirt and tie. Suit coat/jacket means nothing unless shooting for mid management or higher.

unless they specifically say to wear one. I had that happen to me a few years ago (was shocked). Bought a suit and got the job. Not sure if it helped or not but was told to wear one nonetheless.

Otherwise, I would not wear one.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I'm an engineer. When I was graduating I did the suit jacket. It made me hot, uncomfortable and just gave me something else to think about or fidget with. Not to mention I was so overdressed compared to the people I was talking with it felt like I was practically in a costume.

Second time I did a round of interviews I dropped the jacket and it made a world of difference. I was more comfortable, less fidgety and didn't feel supremely overdressed.

I would bet the day after if you asked the 5-7 people you talked with whether or not you had a suit jacket more than half wouldn't remember.

That being said if it is a more business oriented role, do the jacket. For an engineer it doesn't hurt to do the jacket but I highly doubt the difference between offer or no offer would ever be the presence of a suit jacket and if it was do you really want to work for/with people like that?

If you feel that uncomforable in a suit, you are buying the wrong type.

mary72

Jul 21, 2012
Suit jacket suites for managerial and sales jobs. For engineering jobs a decent shirt should be ok

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
I have an interview next Tuesday, and I'm thinking about not wearing a suit jacket. My suit pants don't look that great on me (comfortable, but a little too baggy for my liking). I have another pair of nice wool dress slacks that look much better imho. Unfortunately, my suit jacket does not go with the slacks.

Any advice?

If it changes anything, I've already been offered and accepted a position at another "company" which I will start on the 30th of July, so I don't technically need this job; I'm just looking for better offers.

Thanks.

From my perspective, it is important to be well dressed and to be confident.

Having said that, well dressed is context sensitive and does not necessarily mean a suit.

An old rule of thumb is to dress one level above the one that you are interviewing for... For example, if the position requires business casual but the supervisors wear a shirt and a tie, I'd probably wear a shirt and a tie.

If it is an entry level position, I'd be sure to wear recently shined shoes and a nice belt. I'd also want to make sure that my clothes fit me well.

You can always keep a sports coat out in your car...

Best of luck,
Uno

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
In the past four years, I've probably interviewed roughly 100 people face to face. Showing up dressed up matters. I had a candidate show up in shorts and sandals once. He was older than me, had more experience on his resume than me, and might have been able to do the job, but he failed the interview right at that moment.

I've hired enough people to know that your hard job skills are only half of what matters. Attitude and personality are the other half. It doesn't matter if your hard skills are awesome if your soft skills are so bad that no one likes working with you. If your ego precedes you in the door, you're not going to make it on my team.

If you aren't willing to dress your best for the interview, you're probably unwilling to do your best in other ways on the job. It's a reflection of attitude.

Which is why when I show up in a 3 piece and the interviewer is dressed in polyester slacks and a knit polo shirt as work clothes, I wonder about his and his company's idea of professionalism.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Which is why when I show up in a 3 piece and the interviewer is dressed in polyester slacks and a knit polo shirt as work clothes, I wonder about his and his company's idea of professionalism.

It does go both ways...in some jobs this could be expected.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Gotta dress for success. Always wear a suit and tie for interviews. Leaves the impression that you actually care about getting the job if you care enough to look your best. It's probably the only time I put on a tie. Hate em, 26 and can't even tie one. :p

Most workplaces have done away with business atire though. All biz causal. Only the lawyers and on air people wear suits regularly where I work.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Okay, maybe it would be better to post a picture. #1 is the pair of pants with no jacket, #2 is the pair that would be accompanied with a jacket. Sorry for the bad pictures.

Of course the sleeves on my dress shirt will not be rolled up, I will wear a tie, the shoes will be shined, and the clothes will have no wrinkles...

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I'd go pleatless pants with a jacket...but in reality it should be a suit.

Pants and a jacket/sportscoat is a step down from a suit, which is a step down from a tux.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I'd go pleatless pants with a jacket...but in reality it should be a suit.

Pants and a jacket/sportscoat is a step down from a suit, which is a step down from a tux.

The second one is part of the suit.

Last edited:

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
#2 definitely. Just get them hemmed, some are ok with the full break, but I don't personally like it, it looks like I was too lazy to get pants that fit right.

Oh, and always wear a jacket to an interview, it shows you're taking the opportunity seriously. I'd rather be over-dressed than under-dressed.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Okay, so I went with the nicer pants with no suit jacket.

Results: I received a job offer from the company today, and offered quite a bit higher pay than the other job I have lined up. Now comes the hard part of letting some people down nicely (in case they want to up their offer)...

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Okay, so I went with the nicer pants with no suit jacket.

Results: I received a job offer from the company today, and offered quite a bit higher pay than the other job I have lined up. Now comes the hard part of letting some people down nicely (in case they want to up their offer)...

Did you wear a cape?

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Your own wedding and your own funeral. Only two times you should ever need to wear a suit.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
My Girlfriend is a recruiter for a large oil and gas company. She says her and her fellow recruiters don't care about interviewees being dressed in suits if they have the experience to back up the position. However, she says if you are relatively fresh out of school with little to no direct work experience, then suits definitely matter. I interviewed for my current job in a black polo shirt and tan Khakis and got the job. But I also had 15 years of experience in my field. :) I also found that having 15 years of experience going into the interview, I was able to negotiate a heck of a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't be able to negotiate without a lot of experience. (where I park, location of my office, number of vacation days, stock options, etc)

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A suit jacket is a sign that you are willing to be extremely uncomfortable in hot environments and that you don't care about your own personal comfort. It is a way of kissing ass.

I have worn a suit for 1 job interview. Since then, I haven't felt like I needed one as I didn't really care too much if I got the job as I was content where I was.

I hate wearing a suit jacket unless it's wintertime and I'm outside, or, unless I am interviewing in a datacenter where it's cold, or perhaps a walk in cooler or walk in freezer.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Your own wedding and your own funeral. Only two times you should ever need to wear a suit.

redneck-overalls.jpg

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
A suit jacket is a sign that you are willing to be extremely uncomfortable in hot environments and that you don't care about your own personal comfort. It is a way of kissing ass.

I have worn a suit for 1 job interview. Since then, I haven't felt like I needed one as I didn't really care too much if I got the job as I was content where I was.

I hate wearing a suit jacket unless it's wintertime and I'm outside, or, unless I am interviewing in a datacenter where it's cold, or perhaps a walk in cooler or walk in freezer.

A proper suit jacket and suit is not really uncomfortable at all even in the humidity and heat of Florida.

One usually has heavier suits for the winter and lighter suits for the summer.