How important is socket compatibility (CPU upgrade path) to you?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How important is an upgrade path to you when it comes to buying a new CPU?

• Very important, it's one of the key criterias

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • Somewhat important, good to have but not a deal breaker

Votes: 58 42.0%
  • Not important, I usually upgrade my CPU and motherboard at the same time

Votes: 49 35.5%

• Total voters

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
The only way I see compatibility being important is either you want the new platform features, and you buy a value CPU purposely to upgrade to a faster one later, or it offers 3-4 generations of support.

I upgraded a Celeron D on a new G965 board so I could get a Core 2 Duo chip in there later. Other than that, no point. I have a 2600K system, and even if the motherboard supported 3770K, I wouldn't do it. The 5% improvement is not worth even if it only cost me $30 to do it. Now if the H67 chipset that I matched with the 2600K supported a 6700K, I might have thought differently. Even then, probably not. $500 for a 6700K wouldn't have been worth a 25% improvement in performance.

I would change the motherboard and keep the CPU same if I can get a host of new platform features. NVMe, Optane support, DDR4, to name an example. The 300-series chipset seems quite nice too. CNVi support, next gen Optane, updated audio controller, integrated SD controller.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
It was awesome to have an Athlon 64 x2 for your AM2 motherboard, and then get a Phenom II X4, and extend the gaming lifetime for 5 years.

If I could pop an i7 8700 into an LGA 1155 motherboard, of course I would.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
I can't think of a time I've actually upgraded only a CPU.

Usually when I upgrade a computer, I do both CPU and motherboard as I look at feature-sets on the motherboard that would go with my build. Whether that is a glut of SATA ports for a file server or onboard networking options(4x10g in latest build)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
It was awesome to have an Athlon 64 x2 for your AM2 motherboard, and then get a Phenom II X4, and extend the gaming lifetime for 5 years.
As mentioned, I'm behind the times, but I did this last week:

40161321391_576c5b278d.jpg

I ran an Athlon X3 for 8 years, and then dropped in this Phenom X6, and will likely run this for several more years. It's just a secondary business use machine, but it's sad to note that websites are getting so bloated these days, you need a 6-core Phenom or better just to get good surfing performance.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I upgraded the CPU only on socket A. Then on 939 I went from a single core to a dual core. Then on AM2 I went from a dual core to a quad core. Now I am on 1155 and there is no worthwhile upgrade option. That is probably why my next build will be AM4.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
If Asrock kept making CPU Upgrade cards for my 939Dual-SATA2 I'd still be using it. AGP4Life.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I don't upgrade often enough to care about socket compatibility. My primary gaming rig is still a 3770K.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
I've been very impressed with AMD's upgrade compatibility and to me it's an important feature.

I bought a dirt cheap combo of the Phenom X4 9600 (with TLB bug after it was announced) and a Biostar AM3 board that used DDR2 memory for an HTPC.

I later got a nice deal on a Phenom II X4 940 90W and used that for a while, then sold it to a friend.

The board later died on them and they got an AM3+ board with DDR3.

That same friend later updated to an FX-8350.

This was a transition that spanned 3 CPUs and two motherboards over a span of many years.

Currently my main system has a Ryzen 1700X and I'm looking forward to being able to update to newer iterations of Ryzen in the same board down the line.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
I can't think of a time I've actually upgraded only a CPU.

Usually when I upgrade a computer, I do both CPU and motherboard as I look at feature-sets on the motherboard that would go with my build. Whether that is a glut of SATA ports for a file server or onboard networking options(4x10g in latest build)

I've only upgraded just the CPU once. An E4300 dual core to a Q6600 G0 stepping quad core around a year after the initial build.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I think it depends. I only upgrade my main gaming PC every 3-5 years when I feel it's a large enough performance increase. I would not put an i7-8700k in a motherboard with an AGP, DDR1, and no sata ports that would be absurd. But if I were a user that wanted more CPU cores and the other parts of the board were still relevant then it might be an option.

There are definitely defined time periods when it makes sense to upgrade because of the other benefits of a particular chipset, and there are instances where changing the CPU socket seems like a money grab to get the frequent upgraders to spend more cash.

Malditor

Feb 16, 2018
Until recently, I've always bought prebuilts, so I stretched the life span of those out as far as I could. One even lasted me almost 8 years before I replaced it. Now, building my own, I'm making sure to buy high end enough parts so that I can make it at least 4-5 years which would make keeping the same Mobo pretty much pointless if I were to upgrade my CPU. I really feel like forward compatibility sockets/chipsets is more of a marketing gimmick to try to get people to buy new CPUs more often than they really need to.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Until recently, I've always bought prebuilts, so I stretched the life span of those out as far as I could. One even lasted me almost 8 years before I replaced it. Now, building my own, I'm making sure to buy high end enough parts so that I can make it at least 4-5 years which would make keeping the same Mobo pretty much pointless if I were to upgrade my CPU. I really feel like forward compatibility sockets/chipsets is more of a marketing gimmick to try to get people to buy new CPUs more often than they really need to.

It depends on perception. For starters I don't like playing the game of my use case being the superior use case. But lets look back in the last 10 years and see what in socket updates could have brought us.

AMD: Phenom X4, Phenom II, Phenom II X6, Bulldozer, PileDriver, Ryzen. So even if we could have gone through this whole chain the only real update would be to the X6 Phenom's, and while I applaud the early 6 real cores and 50% more compute power. It was in a time where even home VM usage was in it's infancy and the compute power as a whole was still rather low. But I am sure most guys who did upgrades to the X6 were thankful for the socket support. Obviously any of these guys going to Ryzen would have been a great upgrade. But some features like PCIe tech and DDR versions require new sockets now with on board memory controllers.

Intel: Core Duo, C2D, Nahelem, SB, IVB, HW, BW, SL, KL, CFL. I can't remember if the original CD platform could be upgraded to C2D but that would have been a substantial upgrade. But CD was mainly a mobile platform anyways. The upgrades if possible to from C2D to Nahelem to SB would have all been to lots of people worthwhile updates. But then it stopped. The cores stopped getting any faster. Core count stayed in place. Not till CFL was there a change, slight loss in clocks, 50% more compute power. The 50% more compute comes when AMD was already offering 80% more with Ryzen and after Intel had finally made their enthusiast platform more affordable and enticing by offering a lot more cores than the consumer platform had been offering before. Since Sandybridge there hasn't been a CPU that if it could be installed in the same board would really be worth opening up the system to toss it in. Even if you stop at Kabylake, there might have been enough clock speed to make it worth it but enough other tech change to make the need for a new socket make sense and a long enough window between the two, for people not to have given it a second thought that they needed a new board. On top of all of that is that people have been trained over this last 8 generations that by the time they might want to upgrade they would always have to get a new board.

I look at it like this. I haven't done a in place CPU upgrade on my main system since Socket A. I had/have a 3930k. I needed a decent 8 core CPU. If Intel had an upgrade for my 3930k even at $1000 for my system I would have gotten that. Instead I was looking at 1500, just swapping out the main components. For that same cost I got full 8 core Ryzen system (leaving me with my 3930k to continue using). Now looking ahead. I don't need a 12/16 core whatever Zen 2 ends up being CPU, but I can assure you if it only costs ~$300-$400 to gain another 50% more cores it will be nearly impossible for me to avoid getting an upgrade. Otherwise if I needed to swap out CPU, Mobo, maybe even memory. Then I would wait out the next period of time I required those resources.

So even though I have not or many people have not needed and therefore not find forward support in a socket that important. I think a lot of that is do to what kind of updates would have been available in the past. I also think that because of what will be available in the future with at least one platform I think people will be surprised at how many upgrades without a motherboard change will be done.