How hot do P4 chips run?

prdfy

Jun 28, 2003
I've can't seem to find a reliable answer to that question. One web site says they are substantially cooler than AMD, others say they are hotter and some say they are about the same temp.

Anandtech has gobs of performance data but no heat comparision. What's the real answer? ? ?

If anyone responds, please post evidence and not opinion.

C5Vette

Jun 28, 2003
I have the same question. I just went from a 1.33 TBird to a 2.4B, and my temps went from ~44C on the Athalon to ~60C on the P4. Seems kinda high.

I'm gonna post my problem on another thread, don't wanna hijack this one.

Harabecw

Apr 28, 2003
My P4 (2.4B at 2.67) idles at 32C, load is ~37C. this is with stock cooling.

Vette, that temp is way too high. could be that the heat sink is not installed right or your bios is high :eek:

C5Vette

Jun 28, 2003
Do you mean that my BIOS is reporting a wrong reading, or that a setting is wrong? I've already checked the HS (See my other thread in Cooling section).

Thanks

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I've can't seem to find a reliable answer to that question. One web site says they are substantially cooler than AMD, others say they are hotter and some say they are about the same temp."

Depends on where you measure the temp. Do you mean the core temperature or how hot a system based on either is going to be in your room ?