How hard is it to land a job with a government agency such as the CIA or FBI?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Positions in FBI field service, ie. a special agent, are some of the most competitive in the world. Academy classes are small and they take the best that they can find. It is extremely competitive. I don't know anything about the CIA or the NSA, but from what I hear, the NSA comes to you. They don't take applications.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
don't apply before you graduate. 99% of government agencies won't even look at your app if they see you haven't graduated college yet.

Shadowedge

Feb 25, 2000
Here is some info about the NSA, since I just about have a job there:

You can apply there before you graduate, they take people right out of college. I would apply right away. I met with someone on my campus back in Novemeber, didn't hear back from them until April.
After they give you a conditional job offer, it can take up to 6 months for the background check, depending on your prior residences and everything.
Along with the background investigation, you go in for a psychological evaluation and polygraph.

The pay and benefits seem pretty competitive with industry (especially nowadays). Too bad you are going to miss the sweet recruitment bonus deadline :)

Just to let you know, you need to be a U.S. Citizen and pretty clean background (i.e. drugs, felonies, etc.)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
A friend of mine from HS went into the Navy then to Special Ops. He's going to be home for a week, then virtually disappear when his service starts.
A friend of mine that I used to work with here went to a job fair and ended up leaving here to work for the FBI.

nik

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Shadowedge
Here is some info about the NSA, since I just about have a job there:

You can apply there before you graduate, they take people right out of college. I would apply right away. I met with someone on my campus back in Novemeber, didn't hear back from them until April.
After they give you a conditional job offer, it can take up to 6 months for the background check, depending on your prior residences and everything.
Along with the background investigation, you go in for a psychological evaluation and polygraph.

The pay and benefits seem pretty competitive with industry (especially nowadays). Too bad you are going to miss the sweet recruitment bonus deadline :)

Just to let you know, you need to be a U.S. Citizen and pretty clean background (i.e. drugs, felonies, etc.)

Just what i want to hear. I think I will apply after I see what kind of positions they have to offer. Then again, from what i've heard, don't they want hardcore "geeks?" I mean the ones who can program and do just about everything with computers? I've been in the field for 4 years, but that's not to say I'm an expert.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: lilcam

Just what i want to hear. I think I will apply after I see what kind of positions they have to offer. Then again, from what i've heard, don't they want hardcore "geeks?" I mean the ones who can program and do just about everything with computers? I've been in the field for 4 years, but that's not to say I'm an expert.

So what is it you want to do for them?