Question How fast is your browser?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
This benchmark simulates user actions for adding, completing, and removing to-do items using multiple examples in TodoMVC. Each example in TodoMVC implements the same todo application using DOM APIs in different ways. Some call DOM APIs directly from ECMAScript 5 (ES5), ECMASCript 2015 (ES6), ES6 transpiled to ES5, and Elm transpiled to ES5. Others use one of eleven popular JavaScript frameworks: React, React with Redux, Ember.js, Backbone.js, AngularJS, (new) Angular, Vue.js, jQuery, Preact, Inferno, and Flight. Many of these frameworks are used on the most popular websites in the world, such as Facebook and Twitter. The performance of these types of operations depends on the speed of the DOM APIs, the JavaScript engine, CSS style resolution, layout, and other technologies.

Core M-5Y10c @ 52.02

Images aren't necessary, but please state your cpu speed. The web browser of your choice. Mine is Edge 83. Thank you.

speed.pngspeed2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SPBHM

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Looks like the newest version of edge is much faster now. Scores are much closer now between Edge and chrome compared to previous versions.

The only other change also is my previous runs were in Win 10 20H2 and these are on Win 10 21H1 with newest version of each browser.

edge ver.PNG

speedometer Edge 91.PNG

chrome about.PNG

speedometer chrome v2.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Carpet

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Here I tried with all extenstions off except the screen capture one.
screenshot-browserbench.org-2021.05.29-13_30_39.png
Duck Duck Go extension off

screenshot-browserbench.org-2021.05.29-13_33_20.png
Duck Duck Go extension ON.

Hrmm.

Again this is a Lenovo Ideapad S145 with the 3200G with 8GB ram and I believe NVME 256GB drive.

EDIT: had more tabs open this time. 8

Reactions: Magic Carpet

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
New Chrome V8 engine has optimizations very relevant for this benchmark, everyone gained 20-30% extra score on same HW it seems.

Cool optimization inserting extra tier between interpretter and full-on optimizing compiler of JS.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Nice. It should also benefit all Chromium browsers that use it. Can’t wait to see the updated scores compared to Safari.

My 4790K @ stock gets 136 in Chrome v91 and 131 in Edge v91. That's less than a 5% difference. Pretty comparable I'd say.

No idea if this is ballpark but currently running everything at stock settings on my 11700K with RTX 3090 on Chrome
Rocket Lake S is pretty strong in Web tests, I'd say.

1622372205464.png

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Quite remarkable! Nearly twice as fast as my X (Safari 14.6).
440511B0-B988-4D42-91EF-985E8208CBF5.jpeg

Not connected to wifi, so I am curious if that will make a difference. No wifi due to traveling.
Shouldn’t make a hell of a lot of difference :)

EDIT: It's amazing how far Samsung is behind Apple.

1622379415623.png

Last edited:

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Safari does more, but this is my 2020 M1 Mac Mini running Chrome 91 (With lots of stuff in the background):
1622376578500.png

Just goes to show that Ipad Air perform almost the same.

That's IMO is the most impressive part of M1, not the performance. Top-end Ryzen 5xxx H and Tiger Lake H perform about the same, but in all-core loads they will soon sound like jet engines (with 55+ W power limits), no matter the laptop really. It takes a looooong time (by x86 standards) to even get the fan going on a M1 machine. And it will never go so loud or produce comparable amount of heat. I mean, sure, some of it is due to 5nm, but even A13 is still very close ( only about 20% behind) and itstill doesn't require fans to be on.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is while race-to-idle is an interesting concept (especially for casual users doing web browsing, etc), but IMO Intel has gone way too far with the peak wattage and the length of PL2 on laptops (and AMD has to almost do the same,though to a lesser extent, to compete).

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
So this M1 Ipad Pro is pretty damn fast ehh? lol This is the base model 128GB with 8GB RAM iPad Pro with the M1 chip. It's faster than both my Rocket Lake and Ryzen 9 CPUs in the benchmark.
Embarrassing, isn’t it? Especially when you consider the performance per watt aspect. Still, you can’t do everything with M1. This is only a web browsing test that slightly favors Apple tech 😜

CraptacularOne

Jan 12, 2009
Embarrassing, isn’t it? Especially when you consider the performance per watt aspect. Still, you can’t do everything with M1. This is only a web browsing test that slightly favors Apple tech 😜
Well considering that my Rocket Lake can chug down 200+w and the Ryzen 9 can drink 180+w, yeah it’s a bit concerning a mobile CPU running without any active cooling easily outpaces them both. But yeah I’m sure in general day to day tasks either of my 2 rigs CPUs will crush the M1, but it’s still impressive none the less that my iPad Pro is delivering a faster and snappier web browsing experience lol.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Well considering that my Rocket Lake can chug down 200+w and the Ryzen 9 can drink 180+w, yeah it’s a bit concerning a mobile CPU running without any active cooling easily outpaces them both. But yeah I’m sure in general day to day tasks either of my 2 rigs CPUs will crush the M1, but it’s still impressive none the less that my iPad Pro is delivering a faster and snappier web browsing experience lol.
Umm... does your Ryzen 9 suck up 180W during Speedometer? If so, you've got some issues. My 5600X (PBO+200) peaked at 64W achieving 216.2 in Chrome private window with Steam, Plex, Citrix (hospital EMR), 10 tabs of Chrome non-private, an Excel file, and Spotify running.

It shouldn't really be concerning that the M1 (a chip designed specifically for such functions as web browsing, iTunes, and canned App Store programs) is doing well against x86 chips (designed for more than browsing Facebook and touching up photos on the toilet) in a web browser test designed by the WebKit dev team at Apple. Apple have designed the chip with their users in mind and there's a reason they haven't put the M1 in a Mac Pro.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
I get a score of under 6 with Chrome on my Kindle Fire, which uses a low powered acorn quadcore. I suspect the cores might be in-order execution. The IPC feels lower than anything I've seen. Even a P4 will probably run circles around it.

It is usually not suitable for most browsing, even with one or barely any tabs open. It's best to have a physical book or other reading material handy while the browser computes and you wait for the next frame. Even scrolling will hang for seconds often.