How fast can I run onboard video clock speed? (Radeon HD 3300)

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm trying to see what this onboard graphics is truly capable of before I decide if I want to invest in a 5570. Its more for my autistic son - he likes to watch DVDs alot but he likes to skip around and sometimes it hangs and it upsets him. (We have a time limit for the computer so he doesn't "stim" on it.) I noticed the frame buffer in the bios was set to Auto so I set it to 512Mb since I don't know how much memory Auto is. It DOES have 128MB of DDR3 "Sideport" memory already. I did notice that you can adjust the "GFX Clock" for the onboard video so I bumped it from the stock 700 to 750. How much do you think it could reasonably run at STABLE? I'm thinking my son gives it a workout jumping back and forth on DVDs.

I have everything else in the BIOS set to Auto as far as NB link speed, memory timings etc, I did adjust the multiplier to make the CPU run at 3.4ghz. Any tips on making this run rig run as fast as possible while being completely stable?

My specs:
Jetway 790GX Crossfire mATX board
4Gb (2x2gb) OCZ PC12800/DDR3 - 1600 ram
AMD Phenom II Black edition @ 3.4ghz
Onboard Audio
Antec Earthwatts 500W PS - 80+ certified
Phillips DVD burner.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No but I'll try it...

Probably should've mentioned that the main DVD software I use is Corel WinDVD

Last edited:

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok but to answer my question about how fast I can reasonably crank up the GFX Clock, does anyone know? Its supposed to be able to be overclocked, since its built right into the bios.

mm2587

Nov 2, 2006
about 900mhz most of the time. If you up the voltage on the north bridge (might need to add a fan too) these cores have been reported to go over 1ghz.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
First of all, if you have it overclocked, try setting everything back to stock settings as a test.

Second, it is more likely to be the player software, than any sort of lacking hardware power. You can play DVDs on a Pentium II 350Mhz system. Any sort of modern system should be able to breeze through playing a DVD without issues. You don't need to overclock anything to play DVDs better.

you said you were using WinDVD, have you tried PowerDVD?
Edit: Media Player Classic: Home Cinema also plays DVDs - that's what I tend to use. It has some tweaked display modes that can take advantage of DXVA and hardware scaling/smoothing, so full-screen playback looks better.

PS. Get your son a nice 23" or larger LCD to watch movies on. I have a pair of 26" KDS LCDs, and they are really sweet.

Edit: To help us diagnose the problem better, tell us - when it "hangs", is that just the DVD player app, that has to be force-closed, or does the entire machine do a hardware hang, where everything stops, including the mouse cursor? If it's a hardware hang, then we need to look at some other things, it's not just the player software.

Last edited:

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No it doesn't software hang. It just doesn't seem to allow him to jump to different scenes as fast as when I had a 4670 in it (which I sold.). Thats' why I was thinking it was the frame buffer size - set to auto I think it only uses 128MB + the 128MB of the Sideport memory. I bumped it up to 512MB for a total of around 700 and set the core clock to 725 though I'll probably up it. I'll see how it works next time he's on it.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, let me ask this: How fast could I run it SAFELY without adding any cooling or messing with the voltage?

RollsMk2

Nov 26, 2009
Really You should forget about OC, if You need more umpf, just upgrade discrete.