how exactly do you use craigslist?

Solodays

Jun 26, 2003
im trying to sell my 40" tv on there, but never use its service before. how do i go about selling it, and what do i need to know.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
make the buyer drive to your house/public meeting spot with cash and drive off with the tv (no shipping).
make sure you get a call

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just make a post in m4w saying that you love giving oral and...oh...nevermind...

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The only safe form of payment is to accept only Western Union.

Solodays

Jun 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Xylitol
make the buyer drive to your house/public meeting spot with cash and drive off with the tv (no shipping).
make sure you get a call

can the service use paypal like ebay or other playments besides cash?and does it have to be local pickup?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
There's really not much to it.. Its an information medium just like a sale listing in a newspaper.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Solodays
Originally posted by: Xylitol
make sure you get a call

can the service use paypal like ebay or other playments besides cash?and does it have to be local pickup?

I'll put it as simply as possible to avoid any misunderstandings: Cash & local pickup only!

ELopes580

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
why only cash and locals? wouldn't that make the item alot harder to sell?

It's called, "Cash, no receipt." Just know and accept it. It seems harder to grasp for you beyond it.

Oct 20, 2005

Craigslist is mainly designed for local selling (although it can be used for nationwide selling).

You'd be surprised how easy it is to sell locally through CL.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
I just sold my 57" HDTV off of CL about 3 weeks ago. I had to leave it advertised for almost a month with a few occasional callers about it. There was a lot of competition in the LA area, plus you have to mark the price down pretty low to get any serious offers. Many people that use CL are pretty knowledgeable with computers and the internet, so they know how much a certain tv model should be selling for by searching google or ebay. Give it a shot though... it's free!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
make sure you are wearing pants when you take a picture from the front of it.

that is all.

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
It can be good. I use it for local stuff only. Call or email, make arrangements, meet, cash and carry. Simple. Best deal so far was a pair of $180 snowboard boots. Got them for $50 and they were in fantastic condition.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
All I know is you have to include a fuzzy picture of your genetalia in your ad.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

thats the point of a local craiglist...its local so no shipping and face to face transfer and you get cash, so there's less chance of being scammed.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Craigslist is more for setting up the meeting between the seller and the buyer. There is no actual selling done through the site.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
And is good ship to Nigeria, for kind prince sir.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

correct, a money wire (not money order) from Western Union is absolutly the best way to do any finicial transaction. You have a record yourself, W.U. has a record, and the person who sent it has a record, and both parties involved have to give up a signature. Plus 95% of W.U agent locations have cameras which can verify the person sending/recieving, and if no camera you have the agent who sent it who will probably be able to remember the person.

W.U. is more secure than even a check from your bank.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: QueBert

correct, a money wire (not money order) from Western Union is absolutly the best way to do any finicial transaction. You have a record yourself, W.U. has a record, and the person who sent it has a record, and both parties involved have to give up a signature. Plus 95% of W.U agent locations have cameras which can verify the person sending/recieving, and if no camera you have the agent who sent it who will probably be able to remember the person.

W.U. is more secure than even a check from your bank.

This is only partially correct ... receiving money via Western Union is fairly safe, however the reason for this is the same reason its one of the preferred methods used by CL/internet scammers. Once the cash is received & off the premises thats pretty much the end of it & if you got ripped off theres usually not much to be done about it.

In short if you choose to receive payment via Western Union its your call, just don't ever use it as a means of payment unless you fully trust the person on the other end of the transaction.