how efficient is your body at converting food into energy?

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
say if i drink a protein shake that contains 30g of protein per serving and 100 cal, how much of that 30g and 100cal are we actually going to intake into the body?

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
According to what I'm learning in my nutritional science class, almost all of the nutrients/energy etc will be absorbed. Like 99%. But your body does use about 10% of the calories you consume to digest the food and distribute it to cells around the body.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
:confused: all of it?

your question feels like a "how efficient is a car at creating energy from fuel" type of question.

There are quite a few more variables. I don't think it's a clear cut answer

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I have heard that Protein is 70% efficient, meaning your body burns up 30% of the calories just to digest protein. Fat is supposedly 98% efficient.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dugweb

your question feels like a "how efficient is a car at creating energy from fuel" type of question.

gasoline engines are only 20-25% efficient, and diesel is better, but not by a lot. so really you have no point. nice try though.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Bigsm00th

gasoline engines are only 20-25% efficient, and diesel is better, but not by a lot. so really you have no point. nice try though.
You could have picked a better analogy. Diesels can achieve 50%.

SilentRavens

Aug 20, 2003
www.mhughes.info
Originally posted by: Howard

You could have picked a better analogy. Diesels can achieve 50%.

The point still stands, is the question about the total thermal efficiency of the human body? Or the efficiency of the body to convert substances (food) into a usable form of energy for our cells to use?

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
I do remember from one of my courses that a human bicycling (the most efficient of the common forms of human-powered transportation) is less efficient than a car. Can't remember the exact numbers though.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
All 3 macronutrients digested at nearly 90% or better IIRC. Fat most efficient at 97-98%.

With a normal GI tract, you don't crap much digestible food out. Going back to the days when food was actually something you had to work for, it doesn't make much evolutionary sense to deposit those hard-fought calories out in a big steaming pile. OTOH, if you just finished off a triple cheeseburger, fries and large shake, then your body may detect this assault and decide that initiating violent & explosive diarrhea is your best hope for survival.

Originally posted by: SilentRavens
The point still stands, is the question about the total thermal efficiency of the human body? Or the efficiency of the body to convert substances (food) into a usable form of energy for our cells to use?
Chemically converting the stripped-down food into a usable form of energy (ATP) via cellular respiration results in something like 60% of the energy being "lost" as heat. But much of that heat goes into maintaining 98.6 F, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
All 3 macronutrients digested at nearly 90% or better IIRC. Fat most efficient at 97-98%.

With a normal GI tract, you don't crap much digestible food out. Going back to the days when food was actually something you had to work for, it doesn't make much evolutionary sense to deposit those hard-fought calories out in a big steaming pile. OTOH, if you just finished off a triple cheeseburger, fries and large shake, then your body may detect this assault and decide that initiating violent & explosive diarrhea is your best hope for survival.
LMFAO! :D

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its different actually, theres been a few articles on it recently. people have different bacteria populations inside their guts, and i guess some could be more efficient than others.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002

Hah! you thought I was comparing our bodies effeciency to a cars? I was comparing the question. it was as if the OP was asking "if I put this much fuel in my car, how far can I go?" which remains fairly constant/predictable accross the board. Your body on the other hand is not. Many more variables change how much we absorb and convert to energy in our body.

besides the fact that the OP's question is was "how much of that 30g and 100cal are we actually going to intake into the body? " What's your definition of intake? well you eat it all, so it's intaken that way, some of it is stored, some of it is burned, some is wasted, and many other bodily functions take a piece of the pie, so again, the OP's answer isn't as clear cut as saying "how many miles can I go on 4 gallons of gas"

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Hah! you thought I was comparing our bodies effeciency to a cars? I was comparing the question. it was as if the OP was asking "if I put this much fuel in my car, how far can I go?" which remains fairly constant/predictable accross the board. Your body on the other hand is not. Many more variables change how much we absorb and convert to energy in our body.

besides the fact that the OP's question is was "how much of that 30g and 100cal are we actually going to intake into the body? " What's your definition of intake? well you eat it all, so it's intaken that way, some of it is stored, some of it is burned, some is wasted, and many other bodily functions take a piece of the pie, so again, the OP's answer isn't as clear cut as saying "how many miles can I go on 4 gallons of gas"
er, uh.. no? lol

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
I'm gonna read between the lines & guess that the OP wants to know how much of the 30g of protein he can take in.

Well, 30's about the max. 30grams every 3 hours is pretty thick protein ingestion.

Pro bodybuilders can get up to 50g in a sitting, but if you tried that you'd probably shoot it out your arse like a machine gun!!

;)