How effective are residential no soliciting signs?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I am sure some of you have them. I get several a week because the lot sizes are small and someone can cover lots of houses in an hour. Also, since this is a poor neighborhood (this is my theory), we get tons of Jehovahs and Mormons.

How effective are big (can't be missed) no soliciting signs?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Why would a no soliciting sign be effective in stopping anyone from coming to your house? They could just, I don't know, ignore the sign.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Signs are good.
Then back them up with dogs/mines/kill bots... your choice!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Did door to door sales for a year of my life. Signs didn't stop me.

It might filter out some less ambitious solicitors.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Why would a no soliciting sign be effective in stopping anyone from coming to your house? They could just, I don't know, ignore the sign.
Manners are often out the window when there's money to be made.

How much time can you make available? Waste their time. Buy. Nothing. Maybe you'll get a reputation.

"Solicitors will have their time wasted."

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
From personal experience, they do cut down on door knockers.

My wife (retired) got tired of assholes knocking on our front door all day long. She posted two of these on our front walk way.

71KgV5UeacL._SL1380_.jpg

It's amazing how many English speakers have stopped coming to our front door. :)

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Did door to door sales for a year of my life. Signs didn't stop me.

It might filter out some less ambitious solicitors.

Throat punch incoming. :D

edit: and groin kick for the bonus.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Throat punch incoming. :D

edit: and groin kick for the bonus.

Why do you hate children so much? This coupon book is only $20 and has hundreds of dollars in savings. Your support will enrich their lives so much.

($7 goes to the seller, $3 to the house, and $10 to the school)

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I have a sign. No it doesn't stop most, but after they knock on the door, I just go into robot mode: Did you not see the no soliciting sign? Over and over.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I should have one on the window, then a door sized one when sonme asshat rings the bell anyway.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I have no soliciting and no trespassing signs. It has cut down the total number, but has not stopped them all. I come to the door with my shotgun and say "didn't you read the sign?" If they challenge me on it, usually with something like "we just want to help you," I say "get the fuck off my private property" and rack/pump the old Mossberg. They always run away.

I'm not kidding. I have zero tolerance for solicitors; there are signs at the entrances to our neighborhood, signs throughout the neighborhood, and a sign on my walkway. The shotgun thing was especially hilarious when it was my girlfriend answering the door. They were trying to sell us a security system. She said "we already have one. I have a shotgun." They said "well ours is wireless" and she interrupted; "I don't think you heard me," said my awesome girlfriend as she pumped the shotgun and put it on display. They quite literally ran. LOL!

Yes, this is legal. We do it INSIDE our house after already telling them to leave our private property. No, we're not white trash; we just feel strongly against solicitors and have some fun exercising our rights.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I don't answer the front door unless I am expecting someone.

I don't open the door merely because someone knocks or rings the bell.

I require an appointment or a notification. :D

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I have no soliciting and no trespassing signs. It has cut down the total number, but has not stopped them all. I come to the door with my shotgun and say "didn't you read the sign?" If they challenge me on it, usually with something like "we just want to help you," I say "get the fuck off my private property" and rack/pump the old Mossberg. They always run away.

I'm not kidding. I have zero tolerance for solicitors; there are signs at the entrances to our neighborhood, signs throughout the neighborhood, and a sign on my walkway. The shotgun thing was especially hilarious when it was my girlfriend answering the door. They were trying to sell us a security system. She said "we already have one. I have a shotgun." They said "well ours is wireless" and she interrupted; "I don't think you heard me," said my awesome girlfriend as she pumped the shotgun and put it on display. They quite literally ran. LOL!

Yes, this is legal. We do it INSIDE our house after already telling them to leave our private property. No, we're not white trash; we just feel strongly against solicitors and have some fun exercising our rights.

What you describe with the shotgun is illegal in all 50 states, I believe. You can't threaten people with a gun like that simply because they are soliciting. There is no threat to your life or property.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Have a camera running when you answer the door. Ask them why they ignored the sign. As they leave, follow them at a distance and get their license plate on record.

Nov 20, 2009
I am sure some of you have them. I get several a week because the lot sizes are small and someone can cover lots of houses in an hour. Also, since this is a poor neighborhood (this is my theory), we get tons of Jehovahs and Mormons.

How effective are big (can't be missed) no soliciting signs?
Took me eight years of offering to pay for the sign to get one placed at the only entrance to my subdivision and it has had zero impact.

These days people could care less about you, or the county laws and statutes, and will do whatever illegal practice to forward their lame ass business. They are no better than burglars or muggers in my book. Right up there with those local businesses claiming ignorance as an excuse for ignoring the law when they violate the DNC.

I now answer the door, firearm in hand. "You have ten seconds to walk away, or the other option is to crawl away."

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
A couple have, but suddenly decided to obey the sign when I opened the door with a gun in my hand (pointed down).

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
They only work against the literate and so are becoming less effective with each passing year.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why do you hate children so much? This coupon book is only $20 and has hundreds of dollars in savings. Your support will enrich their lives so much.

($7 goes to the seller, $3 to the house, and $10 to the school)

cheap bastards.

:sneaky:

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
My daughter sells girl scout cookies. We respect the locked fences and signs.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
From personal experience, they do cut down on door knockers.

My wife (retired) got tired of assholes knocking on our front door all day long. She posted two of these on our front walk way.

71KgV5UeacL._SL1380_.jpg

It's amazing how many English speakers have stopped coming to our front door. :)

Harsh, mostly for the kids selling stuff. That said, I have a dumbed down version of it, which is either highly effective, or a victim itself of theft:

ABSOLUTELY NO SOLICITING
no sales
no free offers
no invitations
no exceptions
I've been tempted to put "except school fundraisers", but that just wouldn't look right.