How does your IT department dispose of computer equipment?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
they "throw out" stuff that isn't even broken or old here. and by "throw out", i mean put into a little box and discreetly give it to me so i can bring it home and add it to my computer junk. in tight with IT FTW :p

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
To an ethical recycler who either fixes them and donates them to places that can still use them or they break down the parts locally (not shipped to china)

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Our stuff is leased now, so back it goes. Not sure if it does back with the hard drives or not, those maybe destroyed. I do know our backup tapes are sent off site to be burned.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Where I used to work we had Gold Circuit (now part of Intechra) pick up and dispose / recycle it.

My company used to donate equipment until someone they'd donated to dumped the equipment (once they'd used it for awhile) in a landfill.

It was discovered and the equipment still had our inventory tags on it.. so my company got busted and paid a hefty fine... even though they had records of donating it.

After that, they never donated or gave/sold equipment to anyone other than a recycling company.

Sad... since I remember disposing of hundreds of still good PCs, Printers, Monitors, etc.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
Dumpster. Took 3 loads out yesterday.

Don't get caught doing that. Among other things, circuit boards have lead solder on them, and CRTs have cadmium in them. In other words, you most likely are dumping hazardous waste illegally. You and/or your company would find yourself in a world of hurt if someone wanted to press the issue.

Recycle your old electronics with a company that has been certified to handle such materials.

It is legal here and there is no such recycling company within any reasonable distance.

Also we import trash from other states so...

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Wipe the disks then they go to a warehouse and sit on pallets until eventually getting auctioned off for next to nothing.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
In a business you are probably doing a depreciation of assets over X years. You legally cannot claim the depreciation and still sell the asset.

We run all our depleted assets to charities first and then salvage.

We have also used craigslist to have things picked up first come first serve.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
When I was working for Ocwen, the week prior to my hire in 1995 they threw away all their PS/2 equipment which included about a dozen loaded Model 95's....I created the PS/2 FAQ that is still in wide use esp overseas where new PC's aren't common to be able to own.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
we have a company that comes and picks it up for us. we got rid of thousands of old micron pc's and a thousands of crt monitors.

we have them come every 6 months to keep the junk out of the office.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Our asset management group holds auctions and sales for all our old crap. We're a large government agency so there's a TON of junk, and it's not limited to just electronics and computers. Chairs, tables, desks, fridges, everything we've ever owned that's no longer used gets sold.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
DDR memory is like gold right now...

Put your co-worker in his place.

The city sends all of our surplus to a local auction or to GSA.

our department doesnt think its worth the time to upgrade our machines with memory. all of the ones that have only 256 ddr in them one of my coworkers says "they are old, they just need to be replaced, forget about adding memory"

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
We sell old office PCs for $150-$250. I think they're overpriced, but they sell like hotcakes.

sutahz

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2007
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
We put all our crap on pallets and our warehouse comes and picks it up. Where it goes from there, I have no clue.
Pallet, yes. Clue? Ours goes to an e-waste facility.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KrillBee
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
DDR memory is like gold right now...

Put your co-worker in his place.

The city sends all of our surplus to a local auction or to GSA.

our department doesnt think its worth the time to upgrade our machines with memory. all of the ones that have only 256 ddr in them one of my coworkers says "they are old, they just need to be replaced, forget about adding memory"

Probably true as this becomes a business expense/tax write off.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
To an ethical recycler who either fixes them and donates them to places that can still use them or they break down the parts locally (not shipped to china)

:thumbsup: