How does your IT department dispose of computer equipment?

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Ours is a mess. Typically if we have something that we aren't using but is still valuable, instead of selling it we just stick it in a closet for 5 years and throw it out when it's worthless. We've never sold any of our equipment on ebay or anywhere outside of the college before.

Currently we have about 50 Athlon XP 1800+ computers that we aren't going to sell because they came with Windows 98 originally. We have some 2200+ comps that came with XP that we are selling to employees and students. But the older ones we'll just end up throwing away because our department has no experience selling used computers on craigslist or the time to do so.

My co-worker said he would try to sell the cpus and memory from these machines on ebay and put the profits back in our department budget, but he decided to hold off on doing that because he said he doesnt have time to sell stuff. He took the cpus, memory, and hard drives home with them, and said he'll decide what to do with them later.

The frustrating part is that there is this pile of 50 junk PCs in the hallway that he doesnt want anyone touching. And the last time I took some of them apart and threw the electronics in the recycle bin my co-worker had a spaz. He feels like he owns and decides what happens to the PCs even though he never was officially put in charge of it, but nobody challenges him because they dont want drama.

Historically stuff in our hallway junk pile has been up for grabs until this guy decided to start trying to be in charge.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
You have AthlonXP machines that came with Windows98? These are clones I bet.

We send our equipment to Redemtech.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: KrillBee
He feels like he owns and decides what happens to the PCs even though he never was officially put in charge of it, but nobody challenges him because they dont want drama.

Including yourself?

Man up, put him in his place and clean house.

What state are you in?

MotionMan

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
You have AthlonXP machines that came with Windows98? These are clones I bet.

We send our equipment to Redemtech.

Yeah, they are cheap boxes, but come with ddr memory and 40 gb hard drives.

How well does Redemtech pay for your used equipment?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Depends. If its newer - ie ~1 year or less - and works it goes back to that magical place we get our new stuff from: Equipment Distribution. (We like to call them ED or erectile dysfunction) After that I do not know. Older stuff or broken things are first come first serve for parts. We have a wide assortment of computer husks laying around in various states of cannibalism. Some times we even get to keep product keys! Twice a year we go through them and ship off everything we don't want to a recycling center.

Every once and a while we get a customer who does not want to pay to fix their computer and they do not want it back. I got a p4 compaq with 2 gb ram for free because the customer did not want to pay for a new HDD to put in it.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
I sold a 1700+ for $15~ shipped. The older parts won't move as quick, so you'll have to slow-sell them.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
for the past couple years? nothing.

now we've got a giant room filled with servers that our inventory team is trying to salvage and ebay.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: KrillBee
He feels like he owns and decides what happens to the PCs even though he never was officially put in charge of it, but nobody challenges him because they dont want drama.

Including yourself?

Man up, put him in his place and clean house.

What state are you in?

MotionMan

I've tried. Apparently awhile ago he asked our boss what to do about the old PCs that come back when we deploy new ones and our boss said "I dont care, you figure it out". Our boss didn't realize that this guy isn't the one who normally deals with assets, we have someone else who does that normally but he is busy right now and doesnt mind this other guy taking that responsibility. Our boss then realized this later but didn't comment.

Last time I tried challenging him he got upset and said, "I've been put in charge of this, let me run my project and you run your stuff".

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Dumpster out back

Just kidding, the IT place I worked at was part of the university, so they already had a "department" that we just referred to as "surplus" (or maybe a 3rd party company, was never sure) that would pick up our old crap once a month and auction them off. They'd take ANYTHING too, furniture, broken electronics, etc. I guess most of the stuff goes for pennies. A friend of mine went to one of the auctions and won a keg for a few bucks.

As an IT employee, I got first pick of anything we wanted to throw out before we sent it away. I quit about three years ago. My haul:
4 17" CRT monitors
1 19" CRT monitor
1 computer chair (really comfortable, not leather or anything like that)
9 or 10 hard drives (all 4GB, I sold a few on FS/FT at one point, of course with the warning that they had probably seen a lot of use - it seems like we only wanted to get rid of drives w/ 4GB or less)
Various power cables, USB cables, parallel cables, IDE cables, etc.
A few keyboards (one was USB)

Yup, I got a pretty good haul all in all. I remember walking the computer chair home. I had my bike with me and stopped to grab a bite to eat, so I used my bike chain on the chair + bike. I bet someone walking by would have gotten really confused when they saw a computer chair chained to a bike rack.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
DDR memory is like gold right now...

Put your co-worker in his place.

The city sends all of our surplus to a local auction or to GSA.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
We put all our crap on pallets and our warehouse comes and picks it up. Where it goes from there, I have no clue.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
depends on what it is. if its an old pc that still works, put it out for employees to take. most other stuff just goes to the dumpster.

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
we got rid of a bunch of dell p4 3ghzs... no one wanted to deal with them.. i took over 20 home, ebay them one at a time, with dell coa and office 2003.. each came in around 120-150.. made a nice profit...

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
How about donating them to charity. There are a lot of families that a AMD Athlon-XP system would be great for. heck give them to local schools. You would not believe how old some computers are at soem schools.
The company gets a nice write off and gets rid of them really fast. While the charity/schools get systems that are much better then they have now.
:thumbsup:

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
How about donating them to charity. There are a lot of families that a AMD Athlon-XP system would be great for. heck give them to local schools. You would not believe how old some computers are at soem schools.
The company gets a nice write off and gets rid of them really fast. While the charity/schools get systems that are much better then they have now.
:thumbsup:

Word. My school just recently (last year) got rid of most of their P233 machines with 128 (?) mb RAM and Win98.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
Dumpster. Took 3 loads out yesterday.

Don't get caught doing that. Among other things, circuit boards have lead solder on them, and CRTs have cadmium in them. In other words, you most likely are dumping hazardous waste illegally. You and/or your company would find yourself in a world of hurt if someone wanted to press the issue.

Recycle your old electronics with a company that has been certified to handle such materials.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We do as the OP. We went through a period when corporate got excited about the possibility of data being left on equipment so we weren't allowed to get rid of any IT equipment for about three years while wisdom was generated on high. We had to rent a mini-storage unit to hold the crap. I guess there was some possibility that there might have been company secrets burned into the monitor screens or some network tokens still rolling around in the cabling.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
We use a broker to pick up our salvage equipment. Company named Intechra picks up from us monthly.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
Dumpster. Took 3 loads out yesterday.

Don't get caught doing that. Among other things, circuit boards have lead solder on them, and CRTs have cadmium in them. In other words, you most likely are dumping hazardous waste illegally. You and/or your company would find yourself in a world of hurt if someone wanted to press the issue.

Recycle your old electronics with a company that has been certified to handle such materials.

Not necessarily, we have a pass from the that lets us dump things like this. On the other hand, the stuff never actually makes it to the dumpster before the vultures start picking.