How does turbo in Skylake work?

wwenze

Sep 14, 2015
5e1t9y3.png

Does Skylake have "Multi Core Enhancement" in ASUS/ASRock etc mobos that allows all 4 cores to operate at full speed all the time? e.g. 3.3GHz for 6400

And if I use that thing above will I lose speedstep and undervolting capabilities?

If no, then how long does the turbo last and is there any way to squeeze out extra GHz in locked processors?

Wondering if 6400 or 6500 or 6600 is better value for money... since base clock difference between 6500 and 6400 is 500MHz, but turbo difference is just 300MHz and quad core turbo is 200MHz

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Sounds like you're better off with a K processor and set it to your desired turbo clock speed.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
My Asus board does have the multicore enhancement. As for how long the turbo lasts, It is only there long enough for the process that needs it. If you watch something like HWinfo or Argus monitor you will see that it goes up and down in split seconds. The bars that they show are actually the result of the average clockspeed between updates.

With most CPU's windows has to tell the CPU when to ramp up and down. This can take 30ms. Now with Skylake and windows 10 (when the patch comes in) the decision is shifted onto the chip the reaction time is 1ms.

"The coolest new feature in Skylake, though, is a technology Intel calls Speed Shift. Before the sixth-gen Core CPUs, the operating system would be responsible for giving cues when more or less performance is needed and the processor would adjust its speed accordingly. That reaction would usually take 30ms, but now Intel has shifted the intelligence over to the processor and is allowing it to make the determination itself. The latency is reduced to just 1ms and the end result is a more responsive and power-efficient system: a win for Intel, Microsoft, and the end user. A Windows 10 update will enable this functionality in the "near term," and it might be something we can expect on Mac computers as well, though Skaugen refuses to divulge specifics on Apple’s plans. He would only say that the "architectural benefits and things that are in Skylake, we would hope and expect Apple to make use of.""​

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Multi-Core Enhancement should allow full (single-core level) Turbo across all four cores, provided doing so doesn't encroach upon tdp and temp limits.

As an example, a locked 6600K with MCE will utilize it's full 3.9 GHz speed across all four cores under load.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Multi-Core Enhancement should allow full (single-core level) Turbo across all four cores, provided doing so doesn't encroach upon tdp and temp limits.

As an example, a locked 6600K with MCE will utilize it's full 3.9 GHz speed across all four cores under load.

I do that with a Z97 board with Multicore Enhancement disabled.