How does the points system work in the NHL?

ddeder

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2001
I'm trying to figure out how PTS are calculated in the standings. A link to a website explaining this would be nice. I have searched Google and cannot find anything.

zer0burn

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2002
2 points for a win 1 point for a tie. If u lose in overtime still get 1 point however if u win u of course get the additional point.

thats why theres a few colums

wins/losses/ties/overtimelosses

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
2 points for a win, none for a loss, 1 for a tie... and 1 for an overtime loss? i'm sure about all but the overtime loss part.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
That's kinda stupid. So teams that go to overtime get 3 points between themselves, yet teams that end in regulation only 2???

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Argo
That's kinda stupid. So teams that go to overtime get 3 points between themselves, yet teams that end in regulation only 2???

Unless it ends in a tie (overtime is only 5 minutes). It's not really stupid, it gives the losing team credit for the fact that they tied in a regulation-length game.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Originally posted by: emmpee
2 points for a win, none for a loss, 1 for a tie... and 1 for an overtime loss? i'm sure about all but the overtime loss part.

the 1 point for overtime loss was adopted in 1999, I think. They also made it 4 players from each team instead of the usual 5 players from each team on the ice.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
S = Size of enforcer for your team
W = Willingness of enforcer to fight other teams enforcers
$ = Gross ticket sales

S(W)=$

Everything else in the NHL is insignificant.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: kt

the 1 point for overtime loss was adopted in 1999, I think. They also made it 4 players from each team instead of the usual 5 players from each team on the ice.
They made the change because they believed it would open up more OT wins. It seemed as though teams would not want to risk the point going for a win in OT.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Wingznut

They made the change because they believed it would open up more OT wins. It seemed as though teams would not want to risk the point going for a win in OT.

If they are in the same conference they won't go for it but if they are in different conferences then they will because it does not really matter if they only get the one point

Cheers,
Aquaman

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Aquaman

If they are in the same conference they won't go for it but if they are in different conferences then they will because it does not really matter if they only get the one point
Very true... But what I meant was (with the old system), the teams wouldn't want to lose the point in OT, so they'd play very conservative.

With the change, you cannot lose a point in OT.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Very true... But what I meant was (with the old system), the teams wouldn't want to lose the point in OT, so they'd play very conservative.

With the change, you cannot lose a point in OT.

Unless you pull your goalie & they score :) then you got 0 :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Also remember that the top team in each division gets the first, second and third rankings in the conference regardless if their point totals are lower than other teams in the conference.

ddeder

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2001
Thanks for the info. Very informative... That rule about not getting a point in OT if the goalkeeper is pulled and you lose - I bet not too many people know about that one...