How does salary work for NFL players that get cut before the season?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Say you signed a 1 year deal for $700k that doesn't include any bonuses or escalators. You go to mini-camp/OTAs/training camp/preseason, but get cut today. How much money did you make?

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm sure all that stuff is negotiated in the contract. If the team was bidding against other teams, the player probably has more leverage to have more guarentees while someone whom no other team was interested is probably out in the cold.

ktehmok

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Say you signed a 1 year deal for $700k that doesn't include any bonuses or escalators. You go to mini-camp/OTAs/training camp/preseason, but get cut today. How much money did you make?

$700K

A contract is a contract.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ktehmok

$700K

Neg, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. If you get cut or released, you don't get anything.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

$700K

Fail. There is guarantee money aka signing bonus, and then there is defined yearly amounts thereafter. If you get cut you get $0 non-guarantee money.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005

$700K

why post so matter-of-factly if you don't know what you're talking about?

ktehmok

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2001
You guys cannot read. The OP asked about a signed 1 year deal. This isn't a question of being drafted, or free agent try-outs, or flunkies in training camp. A signed contract is binding and pays accordingly. Unless his agent is an idiot.

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
You guys cannot read. The OP asked about a signed 1 year deal. This isn't a question of being drafted, or free agent try-outs, or flunkies in training camp. A signed contract is binding and pays accordingly. Unless his agent is an idiot.

A "700k" contract in the NFL is not guaranteed money.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: chuckywang

$700K

Neg, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. If you get cut or released, you don't get anything.

this

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000

double fail

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

And, you've read the language in these contracts? Hmmmm? Or, are you just assuming the contract says "by signing here, we agree to pay you xxxxxx dollars, regardless of whether you play or not." Gee, when you read that line the way I wrote it, you must realize that a pro football team must have morons for lawyers if that's what they'd agree to. What incentive is there for a player to put forth any effort to stay on the team once he's guaranteed to get paid. Ohhhh, you're thinking "well, that way, they can play the next year and get more money." Good thought, if you thought that. What's the average length of a career in the NFL? 8 years? So, 12.5% of the players are at the end of their careers. Lineman, "well, this is probably my last year. I signed the contract, so screw them, I'm letting guys through so they cut me from the team. I'm not going to abuse my body any more."

Doesn't seem logical then, for an NFL team to offer all the money up front, regardless of whether or not the player makes the final cut. Does it?

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
WRONGOOOOOO

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Syringer
Omg someone on the interwebs is wrong!!

I don't care that he's completly wrong, I'm just puzzled why, when multiple people say "you are wrong", wouldn't you do a quick google before posting wrong information again.

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003

The beauty of the internet is you are never wrong. Just keep arguing until people give up.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
The contact is contingent on him making the team (final cut). Unless it was guaranteed money, in writing, he would get zero.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ric1287

I don't care that he's completly wrong, I'm just puzzled why, when multiple people say "you are wrong", wouldn't you do a quick google before posting wrong information again.

It is an askew practice.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: newb111

A "700k" contract in the NFL is not guaranteed money.

a "700k" contract in any league is not guaranteed money unless the contract specifically states so. There are no specifications on any of the pro leagues that separately guarantees a contracts value.

As for the original OP, the preseason and post season are governed by separate rules from the league/collective bargained agreement on how much players get (outside of things such as a bonus for being active during the playoffs). For the NFL you basically get nothing until the preseason games start, then for each week you are with the team that they play a game you get a game check. Not exactly sure of the amount and it probably scales with things such as years in the league, but think along the lines of $10k per game. And So even with a stacked rosters of say 75 people, the owner is forking out less than 1 million for a game and still taking in full gate price as they required season ticket holders to buy all preseason games.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

The idiot here is you. By default NFL contracts are NOT guaranteed. Only players with leverage get any of their contract guaranteed and even then it's not usually for the complete amount, only for a percentage.

As others have suggested, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about at least have the common sense to shut up.

Originally posted by: esquared
The contact is contingent on him making the team (final cut). Unless it was guaranteed money, in writing, he would get zero.

That's wrong too. Regardless of contract players do get paid for the preseason. It works on a scale, something like $700 a week for rookies and $1,100 a week for veterans.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
yeah it's a fail train here...in the end 10 people will not be right, but you are the one that's wrong.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

The idiot here is you. By default NFL contracts are NOT guaranteed. Only players with leverage get any of their contract guaranteed and even then it's not usually for the complete amount, only for a percentage.

As others have suggested, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about at least have the common sense to shut up.

Originally posted by: esquared

That's wrong too. Regardless of contract players do get paid for the preseason. It works on a scale, something like $700 a week for rookies and $1,100 a week for veterans.

I was commenting on the contract that would be for the regular season. Not what he is making in the preseason. I should have been a little more clear

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
To put it simply, it depends on the terms of the contract, just like any other legal agreement.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

No your the idiot!
No NFL team would ever singn a contract that was binding even if the person did not make the team!!!