How does one shave meat?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Good... I see the topic got your attention.

I've been craving a really good Philly Cheesesteak lately, and unfortunately there's nothing authentic down here in the Orlando area that I'm aware of. So, being that I'm all about cooking whatever I need to, the one thing I haven't figured out how to do is "shave" meat.

I mean sure, I can cut it thin, but not cheesesteak thin. More like an 1/8" thin, which isn't thin enough by my standards. Anyone have any tips or know of any gadgets other than a deli meat slicer that would do the job? A deli slicer would be nice, but I don't have a couple hundred dollars to spend.

Finns14

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
Steak ums FTW

or is it Steak ems don't know

Or lastly go to a butcher and ask them to do it they will happily do it for you

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Buy a meat shaver, ie: deli style, they've got them for home use, my parents bought one since they absolutely love Montreal Smoked Meats, so they just buy in large slabs whenever they're there and then shave it at home.

They've got something like this:

Slicer

--Mark

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
You may be able to have your local deli cut you the meat thin if you buy a 1/2lb from them.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: SaturnX
Buy a meat shaver, ie: deli style, they've got them for home use, my parents bought one since they absolutely love Montreal Smoked Meats, so they just buy in large slabs whenever they're there and then shave it at home.

--Mark

How much does such a beast cost? And how easy is it to keep clean? The "industrial" slicers like they use in stores are a pain in the rump roast to clean, at least without slicing the hell out of yourself.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD

--Mark

How much does such a beast cost? And how easy is it to keep clean? The "industrial" slicers like they use in stores are a pain in the rump roast to clean, at least without slicing the hell out of yourself.

You can get a cheapie meat slicer for about $150.

If you're really worried about your safety, just spend $10 on a metal mesh glove to wear while using and cleaning the slicer.

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000

--Mark

I just posted a pic of what it looks like, they're not too big, and you really just have to pop the blade off and wipe, not too much work since they're smaller.

I think my parent's picked one up somewhere between 79.99 - 99.99 CAD so they really shoudn't be all that expensive.

--Mark

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

--Mark

I just posted a pic of what it looks like, they're not too big, and you really just have to pop the blade off and wipe, not too much work since they're smaller.

I think my parent's picked one up somewhere between 79.99 - 99.99 CAD so they really shoudn't be all that expensive.

--Mark

Oh cool, so like $50 or so USD. Neat. How does it handle raw (not cured) meats?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

--Mark

--Mark

Oh cool, so like $50 or so USD. Neat. How does it handle raw (not cured) meats?

Personally, I would not trust a meat slicer costing that little.