How does anti-rattle clip work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongz

Mar 13, 2014
I am asking this primarily to education me. I found the passenger side front brake pads did not have the clip (probably rusted off), but it worked fine. I did not notice anything abnormal. I put the anti-rattle clip on the new pads, but I cannot figure out how it works. It does not seem to be able to do anthing thing sitting at the corner of a pad.
P1090442.JPG

P1090449.JPG

P1090452.JPG

P1090454.JPG

ThaBaldYeti

Dec 26, 2013
That is not an anti rattle clip. The anti rattle clips are in between the pad and caliper bracket. You can clearly see them in your second picture. The tabs on the end of pads are in them.

What you pictured are the clips that come into contact with the rotor before the pad material runs out to let you know the pad material is getting low. They will make a nasty screeching noise.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Usually a wear tab will point the other way. Anti-rattle devices are made of spring steel and apply pressure between the pad and caliper to take up the clearance between the two, lessening the chance of audible noise occurring from the pad being allowed to move about freely within its allowed clearance within the caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.