How does Anandtech feel about the FCC trying to change the rules of the Internet? (Net Neutrality)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As a side note, I've seen a lot of hate coming from the left directed towards a brown guy, Ajit Pai. That's cool though. Right?

Link? You're the first person that I recall in this entire thread that has mentioned his skin color, or anywhere else for that matter.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Link? You're the first person that I recall in this entire thread that has mentioned his skin color, or anywhere else for that matter.
First link I found. It was an easy search. Most center around requests for him to kill himself although a couple want to outright kill him. They want to kill him, he's brown, they're racists. That's liberal logic applied and logic that was in effect for all eight years of 0bama.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...ality-vote/23307722/#slide=7185678#fullscreen

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
so, not because he's brown, but because he's an evil scumbag.

gotcha.

how long before boomerang says 'gotcha' while ignoring that the people tossing similar toward obama were also claiming he was a secret muslim from kenya?

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
First link I found. It was an easy search. Most center around requests for him to kill himself although a couple want to outright kill him. They want to kill him, he's brown, they're racists. That's liberal logic applied and logic that was in effect for all eight years of 0bama.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...ality-vote/23307722/#slide=7185678#fullscreen

Take note of that rage. The Republicans are blatantly attacking the middle and working classes. They are doing significant material damage. EVERYBODY knows that all of this shit is simply to enrich a few ridiculously rich and unimaginably corrupt individuals. This could be laying the foundation for a sweeping reversal in oligarchical fortunes in the near future. I certainly hope so. In the meantime, keep fighting for the oligarchies that are robbing you. That will work out wonderfully for you I am sure.

Reactions: cytg111

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Had nothing to do with his skin color and everything to do with his shitty vote. Proof that even what you linked was from liberals, much less because of the color of his skin?

I won't be holding my breath.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Had nothing to do with his skin color and everything to do with his shitty vote. Proof that even what you linked was from liberals, much less because of the color of his skin?

I won't be holding my breath.

Funny how the guys who complain about race being brought into everything can’t wait to bring race into matters when they think it benefits them.

It’s almost as if their complaints weren’t genuine! Crazy, I know.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Funny how the guys who complain about race being brought into everything can’t wait to bring race into matters when they think it benefits them.

It’s almost as if their complaints weren’t genuine! Crazy, I know.

Or someone's complaining about Obama golfing yet being strangely silent on the same subject about Trump.....I wonder what poster in this thread that could be?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Or someone's complaining about Obama golfing yet being strangely silent on the same subject about Trump.....I wonder what poster in this thread that could be?

Holy shit, I just searched for boomerang and golf and he has almost 50 posts ranting about how much golf Obama was playing. The complaints dried up immediately when Trump was elected.

I wonder if he even realizes this. I could totally see how someone as delusional as boomerang has convinced himself that Trump's golf playing is a well earned rest while Obama's was a sign of laziness, even as Trump accomplishes far less than Obama and golfs far more.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

You're projecting without even realizing it. You're ascribing your own personal values and behavior onto other people. Ajit Pai is disliked because he removed Title II regulation and Net Neutrality along with it. Nobody's questioning his motives because his skin is brown, people are mad because of his policies. Trump and his cohort are the ones raging on about birth certificates and destruction of traditional white american values. You're projecting. Plain and simple. For once, look inside of you, do some introspection.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This. Y2K was a very big deal, and poised to ruin a lot of people's day. But it was dealt with by brighter men and women before it became a problem, in the same way NN was placed in front of ISPs who were intent on ruining everyone else's day in the name of the almighty dollar.

True story! I made over $100,000 just in the months of Oct-Nov-Dec in 1999. I worked nearly around the clock, sleeping in my office most nights to get the Y2K stuff fixed for a major companies trucking and airline software. It was a hell of a good time to be a programmer. Then, late 2000 I was laid off and never wrote code professionally again.

tit for tat... You know that the internet wasn't exactly the nightmare you people think it will be without NN given we saw it for many years without NN right? The sky is falling screams are not based on any reality.

Did you know that before NN most people were connecting to the internet through telephone lines modems which were covered as common carriers under Title II just like they made cable modems?

Once a majority of people switched from DSL and 56k modems large cable companies like Comcast found that it had a large enough market share of the internet subscribers to successfully pull shenanigans like the throttling of specific services that competed with it's services. Multiple ISPs started to do that and it became a big enough problem that the FCC had to declare that cable internet fell under common carrier Title II protections as well. The cable companies still attempted to push those limits, a few of which I documented in a earlier post.

BTW, Common Carrier laws have regulated the telephone, electrical, oil pipeline, and gas pipelines since the 1930s, and somehow all those services have managed to survive and get investment for upgrades. The argument that NN was killing the internet is a bald face lie.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
True story, I virtually met Ajit Pai once while working at Verizon (via conference call) and he was the type of guy who thought he understood the technology better than the engineers. Insufferable.

Edited: Removed things I shouldn't mention publicly.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

Then you haven't been paying attention. He has gotten death threats. He has been called many racist names. But thats ok, because its from the left. Some of them like to claim to be anti racist, while being very racists. Like some posters here. A simple Twitter search shows this. Calling him a "sand n-word", saying that they will kill him if they see him. Saying it is justifiable homicide to kill him. Yet all these accounts are still active, after Twitters "purge" of hate groups and people who post racists messages. Twitters hypocrisy is hilarious. Reminds me of somewhere else where the people in charge use their bias to "enforce" the rules with a clear bias and not evenly across the board.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Then you haven't been paying attention. He has gotten death threats. He has been called many racist names. But thats ok, because its from the left. Some of them like to claim to be anti racist, while being very racists. Like some posters here. A simple Twitter search shows this. Calling him a "sand n-word", saying that they will kill him if they see him. Saying it is justifiable homicide to kill him. Yet all these accounts are still active, after Twitters "purge" of hate groups and people who post racists messages. Twitters hypocrisy is hilarious. Reminds me of somewhere else where the people in charge use their bias to "enforce" the rules with a clear bias and not evenly across the board.

I don't do twitter so there's that. As for paying attention, since this is a huge issue with people on BOTH sides, how do you know that these people are all liberals and there are no conservatives saying such things (especially considering conservative history of such things)?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Does the entire indoctrinated Republican ethos revolve around ignoring how they are getting sodomized repeatedly by the party they carry water for and just crying about the 'other'(left, democrats, progressives etc.)'s completely irrelevant to the subject's behaviour?

It seems to be the only fall back narrative to remain delusional. The obvious being in this thread; net neutrality repeal is next to impossible to defend, so run around the internet and find a few anecdotes of people being racist to the piece of shit that repealed it, and hate on them like the trained monkeys they are, rather than confronting that they fucked themselves on this issue with their choice.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Putting aside that Pai has been called bad names on twitter do you think the policy he is advocating is correct? BTW here the discussion has been about the policy and not his race until suddenly we are unable to discuss policy because people were mean to Pai elsewhere.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I haven't checked recently into who all have joined the lawsuit, but I've spoken to both my state reps and they said they are going to be moving forward with their own lawsuit on top of joining in with the big one (class action?) against the FCC. I know other states are also filing similar per-state lawsuits not only against the FCC as an organization, but also against the small group of people who voted behind closed doors.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
It is a bit comical to see Twitter and Facebook complaining about some entity limiting what people say and see, when that is exactly what they do. Both have a clear bias, and use that bias. There are many examples of this. Most recently with Rosie O'Donnell. Rules are not enforced the same for everyone.

Kind of like when some forums have moderators that have a clear political bias, and they use that bias to influence what people can say on the forums. Allowing rules to be broken for some, but not for others. Depending on what side they lean to. Happens all the time.

If you didn't have a history of 4 previous mod call outs, it might not have been so apparent that this is directed squarely and defiantly at us.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
none of what youre saying is part of a net neutrality debate, as none of those entities run networks as ISP's. Those are services, and they also pay an ISP for access to the internet.

the topic has been discussed more than once on this forum.

if you disagree, let us know why.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yeah, if you don't agree with Facebook don't use it, there are countless other social media and news platforms. If you don't agree with Comcast... good luck? The only other choices for many are to use your phone or get satellite internet. This is why proper competition would solve the net neutrality debate overnight.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
This is why proper competition would solve the net neutrality debate overnight.
The modern business ethic is to sell tiers of service. What was once just normal is now broken down to different levels of service each with a different price. The dentists office is notorious for this kind of pricing especially with teeth cleaning. You get the cheap cleaning for x price and the good cleaning for xxx price.o_O They are working hard to differentiate service and costing in the name of increasing margins.

Satellite providers already throttle the connection for 24hrs after a sustained download of around 300mb. This may force me to rethink my IPS's if Comcast begins throttling connections to my favorite sites and another provider like AT&T doesn't. Here in my area AT&T offers a gigabit connection with 1tb of data for around $90 a month.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
One more senator signed on with Ed Markey. They are now sitting at 29 of the 30 needed to force a vote in the senate. People still need to call their representatives and urge them to sign on with him to repeal the gutting of net neutrality.

https://twitter.com/senmarkey/status/948332691581173760

Here's a list of all who is supporting Markey taken from his own website: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSlak_0UQAA19JU.jpg

Just remember: The fight for a free internet is only over when people stop fighting.

Edit: People are reporting massive amounts of censorship on sites like Tumblr and Reddit. There's been claims of political accounts completely removed (not banned) without warning or word as to why.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z
Mar 11, 2004
One more senator signed on with Ed Markey. They are now sitting at 29 of the 30 needed to force a vote in the senate. People still need to call their representatives and urge them to sign on with him to repeal the gutting of net neutrality.

https://twitter.com/senmarkey/status/948332691581173760

Here's a list of all who is supporting Markey taken from his own website: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSlak_0UQAA19JU.jpg

Just remember: The fight for a free internet is only over when people stop fighting.

Edit: People are reporting massive amounts of censorship on sites like Tumblr and Reddit. There's been claims of political accounts completely removed (not banned) without warning or word as to why.

Thanks for that post.

Not a single Republican on that list. I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya.

I could see that happening on Tumblr, since aren't they owned by Yahoo who is now under Verizon? I'm kinda surprised about the Reddit one. Is it certain subreddits or something?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
As far as I know (sorry for late reply), it's only being reported in certain sub-reddits. I honestly haven't looked into the whole Reddit or Tumblr issue very much since I don't use either of those sites but there have been comments under MSN/Yahoo/CNBC videos removed when asking about the FCC ignoring the New York Attorney General's investigation. It's not unheard of for popular sites to moderate what they want users to see on their page when it comes to user input.

Either way, the 30th senator has signed up for the lawsuit. A senator from Missouri (lost the link and her name escapes me at the moment) just signed on, so now the entire senate will have to vote but the bigger issue will be now with it being in open court, the FCC's lawyers are going to be forced to explain why they ignored the millions of consumer demands to keep Net Neutrality on top of them completely ignoring the AG's investigation on false claims and identity theft. It's going to get a whole lot worse before the outcome is announced and I'm sure what the consumers are left with will be just a shadow of the rules before Ajit Pai got involved.