How does a file that isn't fragmented get fragmented??

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I tried doing a search, but that was waste of time. Just basic "should I defrag" and "when should I defrag" questions.

Situation;
Larger video files (500mb to 2GB) in a non O/S partition that were defraged previously and NOT moved or changed in any way.

After running a defraged program, it reports no files being defraged. Weeks later, checking of the fragmentation amount of the same partition, numerous files are all of a sudden reported fragmented when they were not before.

The question is, if a file ISN'T fragmented and it's not a file that was 'touched' (at least by me in any way), how the hell can it get fragmented???

If it matters, I'm running Win7 Pro using Piriform Defraggler.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
To start with files are scattered across the storage media as they are saved.............

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I get that, BUT, I'm talking about AFTER using a defrag program, that 'defraged' file then becomes 'fraged'. This has nothing to do with saving a file, the file was there.

I should add, I have no 'auto' anything running other than that annoying M$ indexing service running. I only manually run maintenance programs as I have for the past 20 years. I also have opened and analyzed the same partition with other defrag programs that report no fragmentation.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Files get moved around by some functions inherent to Windows. That often results in minor fragmentation.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
What "functions" and why?
Again, these are not O/S related files, nor are they in the 'active partition (C). In fact, they aren't even in the same HDD as the O/S. These are in folders, the smallest is 10GB, the largest is 286GB in the same partition.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
OK, for non-OS storage (I have two such drives) any file activity involving updates, can push things around. Also, Windows still controls file access and placement, and indexing. I optimize all my HDDs every day. Many times there are no changes, but sometimes there are, especially on the drive where I keep my data stores and email.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I make a distinction between defrag and optimize. I have optimized all my HDDs every morning when I get up. It's an old habit, but I find it helps me prevent errors. Been doing it for over 20 years. I find it useful and fun. My system and drives are over 10 years old, and they work just fine. I have never had to reinstall Windows except for periodic upgrades.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Beside Fragments there is a sentential amount of space wasted on partial empty Blocks.

So here and there there is some Shuffling around data in order to try to minimize the Lost space. After the shuffling some fragments might occur.

:cool:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I am wondering if you have apps on that drive that are moving data around. For example, I use a 4 TB spinner for my video files. I add additional video files here and there, but that's it. I use Auslogics to scan the drive for fragments and haven't found one sine I bought the drive 3 years ago.

Feb 25, 2011
Maybe you're running into reallocated sectors? (The defragmentation software tries to write the file contiguously, the drive redirects some of the write commands away from sectors it "knows" are bad. When the defrag software runs again, it sees that the file is fragmented.)

What kind of drive is this? You're not trying to defrag an SSD are you?* :D

*I know you're probably not, but since you didn't specify drive type in OP, it needs to be asked.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe you're running into reallocated sectors? (The defragmentation software tries to write the file contiguously, the drive redirects some of the write commands away from sectors it "knows" are bad. When the defrag software runs again, it sees that the file is fragmented.)

What kind of drive is this? You're not trying to defrag an SSD are you?* :D
Drive-reallocated sectors, are largely transparent to the host. (Other than slightly-increased seek times on HDDs for those sectors.)

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Pretty sure you won't notice any performance differences outside of some serious benchmarking. I haven't thought about fragmentation since my last mechanical hard drive ...well I don't remember when that was. lol