How does a 4ghz core 2 quad stack up these days?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Compared to a current i5 it would be about 3.6 in 7zip and Fritzchess and 2.7 in Cinebench, obviously it would be close in integer code and distant in FP.

Edit : I m talking of CB R15, not the CB R10 wich can be found in AT benches numbers and wich is not optimised for CPUs newer than than the core 2.

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
From my tests, in gaming a stock Haswell i3 will (generally) be better due to stronger single-threaded performance, but the Core2 will be ahead in multithreaded tasks. I'd call moving to an i3 (from a 4ghz Core2) a sidegrade (on average) if you're not taking into account power savings and platform improvements.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
From my tests, in gaming a stock Haswell i3 will (generally) be better due to stronger single-threaded performance, but the Core2 will be ahead in multithreaded tasks. I'd call moving to an i3 (from a 4ghz Core2) a sidegrade (on average) if you're not taking into account power savings and platform improvements.

strictly performance speaking

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Who the hell has a 4 ghz core 2 q6600 (instead of 3.4 ghz or 3.6 ghz) and has not upgraded to anything newer? It takes serious cooling, lots of volts, and a lucky chip to hit 4ghz on a 65 nm core 2 quad. We are talking a 444 fsb with a locked 9x multiplier, or 500fsb with a 8x multiplier.

I call shenanigans.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Who the hell has a 4 ghz core 2 q6600 (instead of 3.4 ghz or 3.6 ghz) and has not upgraded to anything newer? It takes serious cooling, lots of volts, and a lucky chip to hit 4ghz on a 65 nm core 2 quad. We are talking a 444 fsb with a locked 9x multiplier, or 500fsb with a 8x multiplier.

I call shenanigans.

Until not very long ago I ran a 4GHz PhII (though a hexcore). It was probably only marginally faster than a 4GHz C2Q with the exception of software that could take advantage of the extra couple of cores I had.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Lava i would have a blast giving you a cinebench r15 benchoff with my gimped x4 9150e@1.8GHz.This is my back up cpu atm and its sitting in a very special 780g motherboard that basically locked its ht frequency to 2.0 or 1GHz instead of the usual 1.6GHz

I am pretty certain my 9150e is the slowest quad core chip ever produced ever.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Until not very long ago I ran a 4GHz PhII (though a hexcore). It was probably only marginally faster than a 4GHz C2Q with the exception of software that could take advantage of the extra couple of cores I had.

apples vs oranges friend.

The phenom II is newer than Core2quad.

Your talking 65nm vs 45nm.

That AMD chip hitting 4 Ghz isn't a big deal or hard.

A Q6600 being stable at 4 Ghz is a big deal and alot harder to do.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
apples vs oranges friend.

The phenom II is newer than Core2quad.

Your talking 65nm vs 45nm.

That AMD chip hitting 4 Ghz isn't a big deal or hard.

A Q6600 being stable at 4 Ghz is a big deal and alot harder to do.

Sure, I understand that. Just talking about it from an absolute performance perspective. The PhII might be more likely to clock that high, but I think the IPC of the PhII was pretty close. So at similar clocks, I'd expect benches to be similar, even if power use might not be and / or the likelihood of achieving 4GHz clocks isn't the same.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Sure, I understand that. Just talking about it from an absolute performance perspective. The PhII might be more likely to clock that high, but I think the IPC of the PhII was pretty close. So at similar clocks, I'd expect benches to be similar, even if power use might not be and / or the likelihood of achieving 4GHz clocks isn't the same.

For absolute performance agreed.

IPC was close then skyrocketed after that in the distance future.

The load power the Q6600 would be pulling at that speed over the PhII should be noticeable.:eek:

What kind of HSF were you using on your setup?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
For absolute performance agreed.

IPC was close then skyrocketed after that in the distance future.

The load power the Q6600 would be pulling at that speed over the PhII should be noticeable.:eek:

What kind of HSF were you using on your setup?

Scythe Ninja Copper. Nothing magical, quality cooler, but hardly the best even in its day. I admit, I bought it more because I thought it looked cool versus getting the best I could have gotten at the time. :)

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005

I call shenanigans.

my old one does, I'm just looking to put it back into commission as a back up. Though I am going to dial back the clock speed to 3.6. I was just trying to bring some excitement to the topic

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Q9550 @ 4GHz here compared to CPUs as new as haswell
http://pclab.pl/art50000-54.html

Q6600 would be on average around 5% slower at this clock I think...

edit:
for what is worth, I just remembered I have saved results I got on CB11.5 with C2Q 65nm and sandy bridge with no HT at exactly 3.00GHz, i5 scored 4.76 points, the C2Q 3.34, 4GHz would have the same kind of difference I guess, that's just sandy bridge (and it can go at much higher clocks)...

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008

I agree with that, my point is getting that type of clock speed would require a serious water loop (or more serious cooling), a person who knows what they are doing, and a lucky chip.

Now a Core 2 Duo E8400/8500/8600 or such on the other hand had a easier time reaching 4ghz but even that was hard.

Now just posting a 4 ghz Q6600 is different than a stable Q6600. If you can't have the chip stable for normal ever day use what is the point of comparing a 4ghz quad instead of something like a 3.6 ghz.

my old one does, I'm just looking to put it back into commission as a back up. Though I am going to dial back the clock speed to 3.6. I was just trying to bring some excitement to the topic

Sorry if I came off as rude. 3.6 ghz is often far more stable and far more reasonable. That extra 10% speed is often not worth the headache.

Yeah you did bring some excitement to the topic. I figured you asked for 4ghz thinking the numbers would be easier to calculate.

But like other people said a 2 ghz to 3 ghz core i5 would be similar in performance depending on the software used. Software that is written like crap and does not take advantage of 8 years of progress would perform closer to the high 2ghz core it (2.6, 2.8, 3.0). Better software would be 2 ghz. Things that take advantage of things like AVX we are talking an order of magnitude faster.

Or put another way. The cheap g3258 overclockable at stock speeds is much faster than the q6600. Sometimes at stock speeds 50% faster in multi thread, and even more so in single thread. The g3258 is also a simple chip to overclock. Of course the i3s, i5s, and i7s are better in practically everything.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
I have a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz and recently picked up a Pentium G3258 clocked at 4.4GHz. Even with an older HD6970, there was significant improvements in games (smoother and steadier framerate). However, as others have mentioned, the Q6600 felt more responsive in multithreaded/multitasking scenarios. While the Q6600 served me well, it did so by dumping a significant amount of heat in the case.

I would call it a sidegrade and I am a bit disappointed that the overclocked G3258 cant even match a stock i3.