How do you treat / deal with your "non-enthusiast" friends? How do they deal with you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Only one of my friends could build a PC and it doesn’t matter to me at all. Hell, I haven’t built a PC in almost ten years.

Last two computers I bought for my wife were laptops and I’m using her old laptop. I took the hard drive out of it and put in a solid state drive and loaded Windows on it but I rarely use it.

Most of my leisure time is on my iPad these days.

Sometimes I use her computer as it is setup with a docking station, keyboard, mouse and large monitor in our home office. It’s a high spec rig and it is speedy. I support all of her tech needs.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I think part of the problem is - or at least what I run into regularly at work - is that it baffles me that in this technological age so many people have zero idea how things work at all. It really comes down to the 'ease of use'. People who think facebook or google are 'the internet' and do not understand what a browser is but they use them everyday but if that browser doesn't open those pages, 'the internet is broke'.

It seems even worse for the younger generation. It's a problem my wife and other teachers run into when trying to use technology in education. While kid's might have grown up with tech, they just expect it to work and have no trouble shooting skills. They just give up if an app won't open or they see an error once

What is this..."friend" thing you speak of?

A "friend" is that person your wife is with when she sends you that post card

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
yeah, it seems very strange for someone to consider PC-building ability as a criteria for friendship
I'm the only person I know around here who would think of building a PC AFAIK. And nowadays seems like a lot of people are satisfied with their phones. I suppose a lot of them have laptops, though. Myself, I don't tap out squat on a phone.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Son called me this morning about a failed boot sector problem. My fading memory recalls a dozen way s to fix this but they are all beyond my current abilities.
Once my mind started to go my daughters printer went south and my grandkids laptop and now my son's tower. I get reminded daily how far I have fallen and my inability to teach basic Windows health to anyone.Long live Chromebook Boxes!