How do you spell the word that sounds like....

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
KU-Day-Gra or Ku-da-gra or Coo-de-graa?

I'm not even sure if that's the proper pronunciation of it either.

I'm trying to look up the meaning of the word and it's kind of hard to do when I can't even figure out the spelling!

I've heard it in the context of "Let's perform a ku-dey-gra" or something like that.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
hahahahaha
sorry I was sitting here tryin to figure out wtf are you talking about and then I saw Nohr's post and it all became clear LOL

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
I believe it's pronounced "coop dee grayce."

Hmmmm...I'm not an English major (I live in the South--WOOHOO) but I think it's pronounced "koo" and the p is silent. Kind of like coup d'etat....here's linky for thsoe like me that live down down yonder......
Coup de' Text

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
Coup de' Text

Hmmmm...I'm not an English major (I live in the South--WOOHOO) but I think it's pronounced "koo" and the p is silent. Kind of like coup d'etat....here's linky for thsoe like me that live down down yonder......

It's "koo de grahss" (like grass, but with "ah" instead of "a") (that makes little sense...)

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Vegitto
Originally posted by: loic2003
What about jwa-da-veev?

joie de vivre

I think he means 'déja vu'.. :confused:
Nope. I would have said Deja-Vu. Which is also how I normaly spell it since I hate figuring out how to do those stupid little umlout things.

Umlout's are ä, ö and ü.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: loic2003
What about jwa-da-veev?
joie de vivre
I think he means 'déja vu'.. :confused:
Nope. I would have said Deja-Vu. Which is also how I normaly spell it since I hate figuring out how to do those stupid little umlout things.
Umlout's are ä, ö and ü.
All right. Thats it.
I'm headin over to your house right now with a cucumber, some vasoline and my duct tape.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
Coup de' Text

It's "koo de grahss" (like grass, but with "ah" instead of "a") (that makes little sense...)

Yeup, that's the correct way of pronouncing it, although lots of English speakers generally leave the final "s" sound off. Whatever floats your boat.