How do you resize a picture?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Is it possible to resize a pic? Is so how and what size do you prefer? An example of something I would post is below.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.redd.it/e3arehkynmv21.png[/IMG]

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Resize for what purpose, to post in a forum topic? You would resize it beforehand then link to it hosted somewhere.

The forum code does resize things down to fit within the available space, but apparently something is still malfunctioning because if I use the Insert Image icon to put your URL into a post, it previews it fine but then the image disappears once the post is made and just leaves the IMG tag and URL of the image instead.

Is there a max image resolution limit that causes this but allows it to preview? IMO if there is, it should inform the poster and not show it in the preview.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Irfanview is free, small and has everything you would need and then some,I resize to 1920x1080 jpeg default quality mostly, because it's the most common resolution people have and it scales well to any other 16:9 resolution so it looks good on 720, 1440 and 4k as well without being too big in size which would bog down most sites.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I know I can resize and reupload but I was wondering if there was any forum code like setting the width or height or both with the img tag. I know on one forum I used to frequent it was possible. Something like this.

Code:
[IMG=800,600]imagelink[/IMG]

It would be easier to use code than download, resize, reupload and post the image. If it was my own pic I wouldn't mind but for posting in the funny pic thread adding dimensions and using a hotlink would be easier.

I found this but I'm not creating an account to see the pics. Plus I don't know if this is meant for users or admins. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/resizing-images-with-img-tag.158434/

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I know I can resize and reupload but I was wondering if there was any forum code like setting the width or height or both with the img tag.
Well, that might make it look nice, but it wouldn't help people with slow connections or metered bandwidth. I'd make my upload as good as it Guetzli.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Well, that might make it look nice, but it wouldn't help people with slow connections or metered bandwidth. I'd make my upload as good as it Guetzli.
I normally use faststone image viewer to resize my pics. Is there a UI for Guetzli that you recommend? Does it take long to convert the type of pics we would upload here?