How Do You Relax?

Lady In Red

Mar 15, 2000
A recent CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll found that four in 10 Americans indicated they have a limited amount of time to relax, including 14 percent who say they "never have time to relax." About three in 10 have more adequate relaxation time, including 18 percent who say they have "as much time as needed."

I like to read. That helps me unwind from a hectic day.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
For those people who can't find the time to relax, that's B.S. If they need to schedule in their relaxation time on their day planner, then so be it. You can't just keep going at a rabbit's pace and expect your body and mind to always be there. Fortune magazine had a great article on stress a few weeks back. One lady was working 120 hours a week. Her stress got so bad that she was temporarily paralyzed until she took several weeks off to rest and recover - then the paralysis left. For those people who say they can't relax, they just need to find about 20 minutes twice each day.

For me, I've used the following methods of relaxation:

-> Jacobson's procedure for tensing muscles and relaxing them (this process is about 50 years old and works amazingly well.)
-> Deep body scan while laying down in a dark, quiet room.
-> Relaxation and meditation CDs.
-> Reading - or working on some of my hobbies.
-> Finally, if things get too rough and some of the listed relaxation techniques don't work well enough, there's a 1 MG tablet of Xanax - which usually does the trick. ;)

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
wje......that's a little too wholesome, you sound like my ex's mom. ;)

Alcohol's good for lots of things.........reading, movies, if I have a girl, just chillin with her...pets are good too.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
wje......that's a little too wholesome, you sound like my ex's mom. ;)

Alcohol's good for lots of things.........reading, movies, if I have a girl, just chillin with her...pets are good too.
Wholesome ... never. I've lived on the edge enough before and drank my @ss off while I was in the military. Now, I've realized that it take more time to be better towards yourself. However, I do have lots of awesome hobbies that usually help. ;)

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I read books(mostly Star Wars), I listen to music(mostly techno), and I play CS.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
go to my computer, put an away message on aim that says music, me and my 7... meaning i'm going out for a drive... *sigh* that's something i need to do right now... i would, but damn project due tomorrow morning....

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
usually I relax with a joint or the hookah.. (or a joint and the hookah, oh man bad for my lungs :() and pink floyd's dark side of the moon

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Reading, playing EQ or DAoC, and from September through December on Sunday's watching football. Pretty much anything I can do at home that does not involve getting into my car and dealing with the 24x7 Northern Virginia traffic is relaxing to me.

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
I watch/play soccer.

Well.. I go a little nuts so some might argue that it's not exactly a form of "relaxing." :)

L

Lola

I like going on drives....just kinda meandering along a dirt road somewhere close by my house. In the summer my man and I will drive w/ the windows down listening to music. i love taking really long soaks. A bath is a wonderful thing. Get some bubblebath and a rubber ducky and let your cares float away! But, sometimes i wanna relax in an active way, so....we usually will go off raoding. Its nice to breathe fresh air!