How do you reinstall those 3 little handles on pages and folders, r., top, corner?

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
In the top right corner of the page on your desktop is a hyphen, a square, and an x. Those are controls which allow you to configure the rectangle be it a square or page. Sometimes I lose them when reinstalling programs or folders. How to reinstall?
thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's ... not normal. Those are a standard, intrinsic, part of the Windows UI.

Unless an application has overridden those controls (app- or window-specific), they should be there.

Are you using a hacked or "optimized" build of Windows?

Edit: If you're using a legit copy of Windows, it may be corrupted, due to disk corruption or memory errors.

I would test your RAM and disk surface, and maybe an SFC /SCANNOW and a DISM /CheckHealth /Online

Last edited:

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
That's ... not normal. Those are a standard, intrinsic, part of the Windows UI.

Unless an application has overridden those controls (app- or window-specific), they should be there.

Are you using a hacked or "optimized" build of Windows?

Edit: If you're using a legit copy of Windows, it may be corrupted, due to disk corruption or memory errors.

I would test your RAM and disk surface, and maybe an SFC /SCANNOW and a DISM /CheckHealth /Online

Its happening to what I beileve is a legit copy of Windows, it happened before with win7 when reinstalling same program, VLC PLAYER. That time it went unrepaired for 9 mos. It prevents me from lowering a movie to work on something.
l'm in the hospital now and will not access any of my tools or a place to work for a long time.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, that's right, "VLC Shell Integration" adds a little traffic cone icon to those three icons at the upper-right of the Window, or is supposed to. Sounds like you are using an older version of VLC (perhaps designed for Windows 7) with Windows 10, and it's proving to be incompatible.

Can you install VLC without "Shell Integration"?

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
In the top right corner of the page on your desktop is a hyphen, a square, and an x. Those are controls which allow you to configure the rectangle be it a square or page. Sometimes I lose them when reinstalling programs or folders. How to reinstall?
thanks.
It sounds like you may just have the window maximized. Hit the F11 key to see what happens.

Reactions: pcgeek11