How do you pronounce the word Oregon?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Ore-GONE!!!! (just to piss off the native Oregonians... I dunno why but they get real annoyed with that).

But in any other case, I pronounce it the right way (ore-gun)

The problem with us IMO is that people are so insistent about pronouncing it wrong. I mean, I wouldn't go to Florida and insist on saying it Flor-EE-da.

Here's an example that I think best explains why it annoys us. I went to a club back east one time and got carded, and the bouncer says, Oh so you're from Or-E-GONE, eh? and begins a conversation with me about it. After he says it wrong a couple times, I very politely correct him on the pronunciation, and he tells me -- while holding my Oregon drivers license in his hand -- that I am wrong. Seriously.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
this question is problematic as the answer will differ depending on where you're from and what dialect you speak. personally, i say it: "Or'e-gone".

Not to sound like an asshole, but you're wrong. I've lived in this state for 25 years; how presumptious you are to assume that your pronunciation is somehow equally as correct as mine.

An example: When I was in school, one of my classmates was named Jose, but it wasn't pronounced "ho-zay," as in Spanish; he (or his parents, not sure where it started) pronounced it "Joe-zay." I actually witnessed a substitute teacher insist that he was wrong about the pronunciation of his own name. Well who would know better than him how to pronounce it? It's his damn name! But this sub insisted on calling him "Ho-zay" for the rest of the class.

So we Oregonians get a little fed up when someone insists that we are pronouncing the name of somewhere we live incorrectly, especially if that person has never even been to Oregon. You wouldn't go to Arkansas and tell everyone there how nice "Ar-kan-zis" is. Nor would you tell someone from Chicago that you'd always wanted to visit "Ill-in-noiz" (or my personal favorite "Ill-in-wah"). It's ignorant to pronounce someone's home city, state or country incorrectly; it's rude to insist that you are right if someone corrects you on it.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
It's amazing how many people insist on WRONG pronunciations of Oregon even when native Oregonians correct them! I live in Portland when not attending university and I've had my share of people claim it's "O-ray-gone". :(

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
If you can't figure out how it's supposed to be pronounced it's probably not a state worthy of living in.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Or-gin

I've also heard Or-e-gin though.

Soft g sound though. I've never heard anyone say it "gone" before.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Parasitic
If you can't figure out how it's supposed to be pronounced it's probably not a state worthy of living in.

Not a problem. See sig.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
I lived on the East Coast for 4 years. The people I knew/met who considered themselves "from the East Coast" all said "O-ray-gone." I'm from Cali and say "Or-e-gun" (at least something similar...)

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
this question is problematic as the answer will differ depending on where you're from and what dialect you speak. personally, i say it: "Or'e-gone".

You seem to be misunderstanding the OP's question. He doesn't ask how YOU pronounce it, but rather what the CORRECT pronunciation is. Dialect and your location do not affect how you will correctly pronounce the name of this state (or any other place, for that matter.) You either get it right, or you get it wrong. Your opinion on how it is pronounced doesn't matter, and in your case, you are simply wrong.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: GoSharks
I lived on the East Coast for 4 years. The people I knew/met who considered themselves "from the East Coast" all said "O-ray-gone." I'm from Cali and say "Or-e-gun" (at least something similar...)

East Coasters are getting their revenge since people from Oregon have absolutely no idea how to pronounce Worcester, Schenectady, Montpelier, Gloucester, Kennebunkport, Wellesley, Naugatuck, Greenwich, Massapequa or Poughkeepsie. We also don't know the difference between any of the 8 million towns containing a cardinal direction with a Hampton, Boro(ugh), Port or Mouth. Clearly, we are savages, and thus, learning proper pronunciation of our state would only waste valuable energy that could be better used figuring out a method of harnessing the power of arrogance to solve our energy consumption crisis.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I have nothing more to add to this thread.

OR crew represent :cool: