How do you personally pronounce the word "address"?

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Because I work in the intermodal industry, I get to hear many people say the word "address."

Most people from the south say "Uh dress"
Most people from the mideast / north say "Add dress"

I say "Add dress".

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Actaeon
I live in the "South" (Florida). I say Add Dress.

Yes, but as we both know, Florida is kinda on its own when it comes to the south. ;)

mjrand

Dec 12, 1999
It all depends on the context.

I look up an "Add dress" in the phone book, but I "Uh dress" people when giving a speech.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: mjrand

I look up an "Add dress" in the phone book, but I "Uh dress" people when giving a speech.

me too. although I'm not 100% consistant on the location context.. I might look up the add dress in the phone book and if it's not listed, then I may call and ask what the uh dress is..

anno (100% southern)

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I live in the South but I'm not from here and I say add-ress. Of course I don't say ummm-brella either which drives me nuts. It's an umbrella not an ummm-brella.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
add-ress...I've lived in Philly and Colorado and its been add-ress in both places.

I don't think its regional thing...just varies from person to person.

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: anno

me too. although I'm not 100% consistant on the location context.. I might look up the add dress in the phone book and if it's not listed, then I may call and ask what the uh dress is..

anno (100% southern)
yep, all context

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Elitebull
Originally posted by: anno

anno (100% southern)
yep, all context

imported_Strang

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
I live in Seattle, but am originally from Eastern Washington (which is very rural and thus hickish), I say add-dress (but uh-dress for things like the State of the Union Address).

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
<drawl> The south have a way of talkin' that's like a lot slower and all, y'all know whut I mean? </drawl>

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Both.

I'm not sure why, but i use one or the other, depending on the context.