How do you manage your passwords?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I used to have 4 or 5 passwords that I would use randomly from one site to another. Now I just use 2 one for insecure sites one for secure things like banking. Oh and I use a different pass for logging on to my comp. I so use keepass to store my passwords for different sites because every once in a while I'll use a different one or maybe I'll need to log into some really old site that I used an odd pass for before and won't remember it without keepass.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I basically have one password for all the stuff that isn't immportant, and then 3 other passwords for the things that actually matter. The one password I have is probably on at least 20+ sites by now.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have a multi phase dynamic rotating password phase inverter on all my machines!!

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
My ISP gives me space. I post a MS Word document there so I can access all my passwords for work, home and the DOD.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Sheesh, I have a lot of passwords based on the responses here but I guess that's a good thing. For both personal and business use, I have close to 30 different passwords. I know most right off hand because a lot of them are variations of one another. But I have them all typed out on a sheet of paper that I only keep at work, in a secure location. My banking/CC ones aren't on there though. I just keep those memorized.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
For my most important stuff, I use a variation of the same 14 digit password containing #'s, letters, and symbols.

For less important stuff, or stuff that doesnt allow symbols, I use a a variation of the same 10 digit password.

I also have a 6 digit password for unimportant stuff, or stuff that wont allow a 10 digit password.

I make variations of those 3 passwords by altering the numbers embedded in them.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I have way too many passwords and user names to remember. I use Password Agent. For stuff that doesn't matter, I use one or two generic passwords that I remember, but for everything else, I create complicated passwords and user names for, usually for one specific use. If one set gets compromised, then I don't have to worry about everything getting compromised.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have to remember too many but I do OK. Long ago I worked out a method that I use to create a pwd for a site that's unique to that site but I can still remember. I don't use the same pwd on multiple sites. For pwds I only need to use once in a while, I keep in a text file.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Anderson Windows. Many years back I was looking for windows and wanted info from their web site. You had to register and for some reason back then they assigned you a pwd of random characters (you couldn't choose your own). So by the time I was finished checking out window information, the password (something like 82Rg728x9DT) was embedded in my brain. I adapted that to use for passwords at other sites. If they hadn't assigned me a pwd like that, I would probably still be using easy-to-crack pwds.

Now I use a method where I take the VIN number of a car I used to own as the starting point for generating pwds, and use a modifier to add special characters. The modifier is derived from the specific web site I need a pwd for, so each pwd is unique but still what looks to be a random string of characters.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
Memory, I store a lot of passwords, server IPs, site subnets, etc in my nuggen.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
I use PasswordMaker and it's Firefox extension. It would be virtually impossible for anyone/thing to crack the passwords generated by this program, as each one is encrypted based on master password, domain, user name, hash algorithm, l33t, length, characters used, modifiers, prefixes, and suffixes. I use this for all my passwords, except for basic stuff that I really don't worry about being hacked.

blert

Sep 30, 2005
Original organic equipment back up device....

I have around 30 password but they are all a variation of the same 14 number/letters....

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
On my laptop, I have a finger print scanner, so that program handles them all.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Quasmo
On my laptop, I have a finger print scanner, so that program handles them all.

A single character password is probably more secure.