how do you make a boot disk in WinME?

khold

Mar 5, 2000
I have WinME, and I discovered that you can't format a drive, more specifically a floppy disk, with system boot files on it. So then I tried to use the WinME boot disk, accessed dos through that, and I still couldn't format a floppy with system files. Is there any way to make a bootable floppy?

thanks

oro

May 20, 2000
i think you can go into add/remove programs in the control panel, there should be a tab for making one.

khold

Mar 5, 2000
no it doesnt

EDIT
****I should probably clarify, I don't want a windows boot disk, all i want is a bootable disk, and I am looking for a way to make one without having to go through this method*****
EDIT

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
Oh yes ya do. oro's right. Goto Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs then select the Sartup Disk tab.....

It works fine for me.

;)

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
You can't just run "format a: /s" in the Start -> Run dialog? I don't have ME, but I would have thought that would work.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
No PM you can't.

No /S system files switch in format in WinME.

That's one reason why I'm staying with Win98SE.

Trying to dumb down WinME is one thing, but removing basic system level control like that is just silly. Users that don't know enough of what they are doing that they shouldn't be using format /s, won't know that the /s switch exists. Bleh...

*Noriaki is very annoyed with WinME, don't mind his rants*

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
now dont be screwed over with those invalid dos version crap if u make different bootdisks and use it on different os's

Erasmus-X

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
A Win98SE boot disk is sufficient to boot even a WinMe system in emergencies. Go to www.bootdisk.com and download one of the boot disks. Most of them are raw boot images that can be written to disks using WinImage and others are set up to directly unpack themselves onto a blank floppy.

That's one of the SEVERAL reasons I hate WinMe. They're trying to make it so dumbed-up for beginners that intermediate/expert users get screwed by the several good features being removed.

ColdTech

Sep 22, 2000
with all the bad things about ME I still like it. I have had 0 problems & actually ended up with an all around performance gain. & i can format driver (both hd & fd) from win me. as for formatting my system a winme boot disk works fine

Radboy

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
The Start Up disc that WMe makes is diff from system files. System files are for when u want a minimal system, for things like flashing bios, restoring Ghost images, etc.

I also noticed that about WME. I have plenty of system files floppies laying around. I could zip one up & send to u if u want.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I just hope products like ME and NT/2K force developers to get off their reliance on DOS and write better tools for such things as formatting and upgrading BIOS.

I do understnad that there is still the need for DOS, but that is only because these folks haven't written code that'll do the same thing from Windows/Linux/ etc. Let DOS die!

-SUO

Erasmus-X

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< I just hope products like ME and NT/2K force developers to get off their reliance on DOS and write better tools for such things as formatting and upgrading BIOS. >>

There's a reason why you are supposed to boot into a minimal DOS configuration when flashing your BIOS or restoring a ghost partition. You don't want anything resident in memory that can possibly interfere with one of these processes (especially with BIOS reflashes; if you screw up, your board is screwed).

DrKram

Oct 4, 2000
How to make a boot disk in Windows ME.
Method one :
Create a EBD (Emergency Boot Disk) from control panel.
Delete every thing on it except io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com.
Copy on your own files and make your own autoexec.bat and config.sys

Method two :
Get a Blank floppy and copy io.sys and command.com from the c:\windows\command\ebd folder.
make a file called msdos.sys on the floppy and edited to contain &quot;;SYS&quot; only (no quotes).
Copy your own files and make your own autoexec.bat and config.sys.

If you will be copping or deleting a lot of files you might want to copy smartdrv.exe from the c:\windows folder onto you boot disk and run it from the autoexec.bat.

Mofo2k

Oct 4, 2000
There's been a lot of problem making boot disks for Windows Me. While not Microsoft's fault completely, they should have made it easier. To easily make boot disks for windows ME, get a program that makes it for you.

I use Windows ME Boot Disk Maker V1.1 available at

http://members.tripod.co.uk/bootdiskmaker/index.html

this has worked perfectly for me. another way to do it is to simply use a win98 disk.

hope this helps

check out my bands website at http://rerun.itgo.com