How do you like your steak?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Going out for steak tonight and up till now, I've only had medium rare. Maybe I should try some other grade this time just to experience the differences. So how do you like your steak?

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It depends on the cut, but it's always medium-rare or medium. If it's not a steakhouse, they sometimes overcook medium and it's really dissappointing.

Radical Ans

Jan 25, 2006
My girlfriend works at a Ruby Tuesdays and they have what is called "Pittsburgh Rare." That's where they take the raw uncooked meat and stick it in an open flame so the outside is charred and the inside is still bleeding. It's not listed on the menus but people still order it that way from time to time. Not my cup of tea though I'm a Meduim type of guy.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Mr N8
It depends on the cut, but it's always medium-rare or medium. If it's not a steakhouse, they sometimes overcook medium and it's really dissappointing.

Yea I'll have to admit, medium rare has room for error in ways that if overcooked is still managable so I guess I could say I've indirectly may have tried medium

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
always medium

when i was younger i would do medium well, but then i learned about the extra flavor of cooking less

i prefer ribeyes for the extra fat

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Medium rare. Fillets are always the best. But most of the time it's a ribeye or KC strip.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
medium rare

in my experience anything more than that makes a steak overdone, too chewy, less flavorful.

but a rare steak hasn't been heated up enough to melt some of the interior fat, which leaves the steak a little more dry and not quite as tasty.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: darkxshade
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Only ever NY strip.

only ever medium rare.

yea so aren't you curious what the other grades are like?

sure.... have eaten all types of steak in my life.

i think you mean cuts, not grades?

it is a texture thing for me. the rest of the cuts are either too tough, too soft, too grainy or too stringy for me.

only strip steak has the texture i like. nice and firm, but not chewy.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Only ever NY strip.

only ever medium rare.

it is a texture thing for me. the rest of the cuts are either too tough, too soft, too grainy or too stringy for me.

no, I meant the medium rare part, don't know the right word for it so I use the term grade, you said only ever medium rare which is the same in my case but I'm curious to know what rare, medium and above taste like.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Depending on where I go, usually Medium Rare, but some places would consider what I like Rare. If it has any pink at all it's too done, must be nice and red and juicy, but cooked enough that it's not still chewy.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Only ever NY strip.

only ever medium rare.

no, I meant the medium rare part, don't know the right word for it so I use the term grade, you said only ever medium rare which is the same in my case but I'm curious to know what rare, medium and above taste like.

it is known as temperature.

i tried others. rare is fine for other cuts of beef. but i dont enjoy other cuts. i have had strip steak at other temps, but it is too hard to chew if it is rare, and too dry if it is cooked more.
:)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i always get everything medium well because i have no idea what the those mean...lol

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Rare is my fav.

Wife gets it well done...way too dry.

Medium Rare is good...good start for people who want to try rare, but not go all the way...

[insert sexual joke here]