How do you learn the maps in FPS

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
do you just go play and die a lot until you learn them or do you study layouts and stuff out of game?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I usually just use the method Theseus used to find the Minataur and follow one edge. It usually works as most FPS levels aren't very big

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I preferred arena combat ala the unreal series, and I'd study the maps offline to learn the secrets. Arena maps are typically smaller, though not always.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
When I was a big gamer I would just play the game and learn as I went. If you're playing online multiplayer, you'll be playing the maps a ton so you'll quickly learn them and what areas to avoid/where the most strategic spots are. Another upside to playing with others is you can often follow your teammates and learn from where they go.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I used to always learn by just playing and learning as I go, taking the excessive dying as part of the learning process, not just of the maps but the games mechanics and weapon tree. After a lot of that I generally always landed in the top 5 of any given server match for games like Halo, BF 2142, BF4 and others. I'm just a bit older, my reflexes may be getting worse so I'm looking at other options to speed up the process lol

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just keep playing the same map over and over. This is easy in games like UT where you can set it up to repeat forever.
Also easy to change game speed and fill it with bots then sit back and watch what they do.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I used to always learn by just playing and learning as I go, taking the excessive dying as part of the learning process, not just of the maps but the games mechanics and weapon tree. After a lot of that I generally always landed in the top 5 of any given server match for games like Halo, BF 2142, BF4 and others. I'm just a bit older, my reflexes may be getting worse so I'm looking at other options to speed up the process lol

I don't think it's you're reflexes, but probably a lack of play time.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I usually follow a guy that has quite a high rank. These guys usually know the maps like the back of their hands and know where to position themselves.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I usually follow a guy that has quite a high rank. These guys usually know the maps like the back of their hands and know where to position themselves.

I do this as well. I find the best player on the team and I follow them. You learn way more then just the map this way.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
With the rise of YouTube gamers, I bet you could find a short 5-10 minute video on how to strategically play each map for any popular game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It all depends on which games you're talking about. Some maps are really linear and don't need to be learned whereas some are a bit more complex, but still not too difficult to learn.

You just learn them by playing them.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Just dive in and learn as you go. It's the most natural way of learning a map. You want to experience and learn both the good and bad spots (and what makes them good and bad), rather than just follow some guide that only talks about the good spots.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Join Beta / Search Youtube / Play stealth mode a few rounds and memorize the map making notes of any great camping spots.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
play time with a small number of players. with many players, the "opportunities" you get from other people fighting take precedence from the opportunities you get from picking up items and using the map geometry.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Turns out it was more having to shake off a lot of rust. I haven't played a PC game, let alone a shooter, in at least a year and a half and had to retrain my muscle memory for all the buttons, not switching to my pistol by accident, all that stuff, tweaking my DPI and mouse sensitivity just right. Now it's becoming instinctive. BF1 Team Deathmatch has a ton of maps if you have the DLC so I still find some that are strange to me when they pop into the rotation but as long as the teams are pretty even I do well. If we are a team that is down 25 or more tickets out of a 100, I tend to do poorly.

I used to always drink when I gamed, just enough to keep a light buzz going for hours and that helped me play better. I get real tense when playing intense FPS so taking that edge off really let me hone in and let the instincts take over believe it or not. Just a light buzz was the trick, get too drunk and you start to suck. I'm a recovering alcoholic now so that's out of the question. So I have to retrain my brain as well on that front to just kind of let go of the tension and relax, then the kills start piling up, but that's coming along. BF1 is actually fun now. Woohoo!

danEboy83

Jun 7, 2007
A good sound track can help you relax as well, or amp you up even more, according to the music.

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
In the BF2 AIX mod I have learned my strategic advantages well. Like there are crates all around the map that have a new pack you can pick up for a new gun, etc. This comes in handy when say you need to shot down an aircraft and you know the crate just behind that building has a rocket launcher. Some areas have health kits so it helps to know where those are all at.

I swear. The AIX mod for BF2 makes BF2 play the way it should have been played. You can still play BF2 with the BF2 hud client.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I preferred arena combat ala the unreal series, and I'd study the maps offline to learn the secrets. Arena maps are typically smaller, though not always.

Back in the day when we did Quake/UT99 we'd learn the maps mostly through just playing them so much, but a good test of if you knew the map well was if you could navigate through it running backwards without bumping into stuff, that's when you knew you'd spatially mapped out the level well in your head.