How do you juggle your games between a small SSD and a standard hard drive?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I've been on the Steam beta updates for awhile now, and it appears that one of the recent updates (I had one come through today) includes support for creating alternate Steam Libraries. Here's some screenshots that I took:

Install Screen
Library Creation Screen

I haven't tried it yet, but this could make people's lives a bit easier as they won't need to use alternate tools. Although, I'm not sure if it's as robust as using things like Steam Mover or doing it manually. The difference is that at least from what I see, you can't easily move something after its installed, or at least I don't see an option under Properties for any of my installed games.

Just quoting this to remind people why this thread was bumped up by Aikouka this morning :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just quoting this to remind people why this thread was bumped up by Aikouka this morning :)

Haha yeah... I was tempted to make a remark when I saw people answering the original post. I just didn't think that small update was worth a new post since it's my personal account.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I prefer this tool.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Allows you to move files or directories to different drives and then create links/junctions where they need to be on your other drive. Provides some nice functionality and can do anything you need for running games in Steam from different locations. This tool works better than the Steam specific one in my mind. Just cut the directory for the game and paste it to your other drive, then pick the game's new drive & directory location as your link source and drop it as a junction in your native SSD Steam /common directory.

Thank you for this.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Our internet is fast enough where I just delete the games I don't play and only install the ones I'm actively playing. I feel that the majority of people who have to have all 40-50 of their games installed only play a handful of them at best.

I only have like 3 games to my name now. Never play more than 3 games at any one time in my life.

Cannot imagine owning more than 10 games let alone 300 like some guys here...wow!