how do you have 3 cd-rom drives?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
If you have newer pc with 2 ide ports, = 4 hdd, most of the people now uses scsi which supports up to 14 devices so you can have 10 drives + cdrom/dvd drives.

There are also IDE raid port that has additional 2 port = 8 drives total..

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
same thing, usually 1 big hd and 3 cd rom or bunch of cd rom on ide ports while your hd on raid port...

sanz

Apr 23, 2001
Just connect them up and make sure you have the Master/Slave settings correctly set on the hdds.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, you do not need special hardware. Read forcesho's post again for the answer.

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2001
can i put one hard drive and one cd rom on the same ide port? and which one should i use as master and slave? would doing this cause any problems

TunaBoo

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001

<< can i put one hard drive and one cd rom on the same ide port? and which one should i use as master and slave? would doing this cause any problems >>

Yap.

HD as master just becuz'

2 IDE devices on the same IDE port SUCK goat nuts. However, it does work as long as you dont need to access both at once.

Why do u need 3 CD-Roms? DVD + CDRW +??? High speed CD for ripping?

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< can i put one hard drive and one cd rom on the same ide port? and which one should i use as master and slave? would doing this cause any problems >>

Yes. It doesn't really matter, but it's nice to make hard drives master. Only one device can use a controller at a time, so if you want data to go through the CDROM and HD at top speed then stick that CDROM on the second controller.

Normally, a burner gets preferance to prevent coasters, so if you have one hard drive and three CD's, make the HD primary master, make the burner secondary master, and the other two CDROM's slaves.

agentK

Aug 4, 2001
id make the hd primary master, then the cd-drive i use most as secondary master. place all else slave. only a maximum of four drives on an IDE interface.. if you need more, then you need to get SCSI drives as well and a SCSI controller (they cost more though).

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2001
if i want a card that gives me more ide ports, what is the terminology for this if i want to post this on the fs/ft forum.

Feb 24, 2001

<<

<< most of the people now uses scsi >>

Is that a typo?
>>

i think he was referring to the original post which has been edited. i thought the same thing but im assuming the first post was changed after he made that statement.